• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casting Call: Tabacos de la Cordillera Cigars Taste Test

This is going to be fun. Sounds like these guys took the Cuban seed to a scientific level.

Wilkey - my thanks again for including me in the review process. I'm anxious to give these guys a try... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I'll wait for the book to come out.

I grew tobacco in Costa Rica and produced cigars there as well from 1995-1998. Our factory was small...100,000 cigars per month.

The "pre-Castro “ancestral” seeds" is just a marketing ploy. It's not just the seed, but the climate, soil and water that'll make the tobacco taste great. Add to the mix the perfect harvest, processing and aging (2-4 years) of the tobacco. Then you've got to find the perfect marriage of wrapper, binder and fillers in a size that the market is looking for...plus an additional 6 months of aging.

Having have four factories in four countries and working them for almost 5 years, I know first hand what it takes to produce a cigar...I'll still wait for the book.

The "pre-Castro “ancestral” seeds" is just a marketing ploy. It's not just the seed, but the climate, soil and water that'll make the tobacco taste great. Add to the mix the perfect harvest, processing and aging (2-4 years) of the tobacco. Then you've got to find the perfect marriage of wrapper, binder and fillers in a size that the market is looking for...plus an additional 6 months of aging.

100% agreed... well said, Mr. Jerry.

I'm still very much looking forward to these reviews, so, git to work, Wilkey!

The review packs will go out on Tuesday. :thumbs: Figure another 2 weeks or so for everyone to smoke and report back.

Wilkey

Oh boy...Looking forward to this now. While looking at the band and having visited Costa Rica, this is an ironic turn of events. I have had one of these. I picked it up at the Airport before I flew back to the States. In fact Slevy should have the band some where in the ones that I sent them. I am pretty damn sure I had one of these as it looks like what I had. I will not disclose my opinion on this as I smoked one and have no idea what it was. I think I even showed OpusXKC this stick.

So with that said...I am actually looking forward to this so I can compare my initial impression to what it is now. Point of reference I picked it up in Oct 2005 and smoked it a few months later. :)

Wilkey - the cargo arrived in fine shape today. I'll put 'em in the coolerdor for the weekend and begin the journey next week.

Being the curious sort, I slid them out of the cello and gave them a sniff;

Cumbres de Puriscal Emerald - Quite good, actually. Sweet, straight forward tobacco smells.
Cumbres de Puriscal Gold - Hmm....not nearly as favorable. Dark, musty smells...
Cumbres de Puriscal Silver - Almost identical to the Gold but more intense; musty, earthy smells in abundance....

I'll give them a few days at a known humidity and begin the tests next week.

Cheers - B.B.S.

The sticks arrived safely looking interesting to say the least. I think Monday will be the day to get this party started as a few days in the humidor may help get some moisture in the sticks. :laugh:

Sounds good, guys.

I will say nothing about the cigars and my impressions so far except that I think you should remove them from the cello and leave them to air out in a cooler or spare humi. Give them at least a day or two like this before you smoke them.

Good luck and godspeed.

Wilkey

Anyway... Were these sticks any good or what?
I just could not find any review. If reviews were posted... can you be so kind to point me to that?
Thanks

I've got a good portion of the reviews in hand. I'm waiting on a few more to complete the package and then I will launch a new thread complete with summaries, the unedited original reviews and plenty of pictures.

I can almost guarantee that this will make for interesting reading.

Wilkey

Still sitting on mine....also grabbed one of each gar in the line,and sizes of each line.

Loooking foward to the new thread wilkey......ignore the extra "o" in looking. :)

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update of where we are. I have received almost all the reviews back and have started pulling together attributes or observations that appear in the majority of reviews for a given cigar. In this way, I hope to present a blended description that captures the key aspects of the cigars.

Once I receive the remaining reviews, I will start a new thread with the cigar by cigar summaries as well as the unedited reviews.

Thanks for peeking in. I guarantee you guys will be amazed and entertained.

Wilkey

Just wondering if these reviews got posted in a new thread? I had forgotten about this thread until this morning when I stumbled across the Tabacos de la Cordillera website while searching for something else.

I was REALLY slow in getting my reviews to Wilkey...

I hope I didn't derail the whole experiment for everyone...

I had to bring in a second set of cigars due to some quality issues with the first batch. I'm trying to get the results pulled together this break for everyone.

Sorry for the delay!

Wilkey

I had to bring in a second set of cigars due to some quality issues with the first batch. I'm trying to get the results pulled together this break for everyone.

Sorry for the delay!

Wilkey

No rush Wilkey, i am excited for the results!