• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP's "Cigar 101" Newbie Pass 4

On a slightly different note its funny how when you want something it keeps appears in front of you. You mentioned the opus 22 set in your example. I have been REALLY REALLY thinking about picking that up. Instead of making the trip to Vegas and the Casa store I was thinking about just ordering that box. It has most of what I want. At my job they announced no raises this year but they will issue bonuses and my division is what is helping to keep the corporate numbers positive. So we may get a nice bonus instead of the usual raise and bonus. So if that pans out....Opus 22 here I come. But I digress...

Now that's what I'm talking about! Excellent research and detailed information. Only one problem that I see, which is one of the main rules of this, and pretty much every pass, and that is "Puts must be equal or better in value". If you're putting in a cigar that's priced less than another, then it needs to have some sort of other value such as rarity, age, or both. It is not cool to take a cigar better than what you're putting. Now, as others have said, personally I would prefer the Padron over the CAO. However, we have to abide by the rules of the pass.

To go a little further on this, if I allow lower priced sticks one time, then it's going to have to be okay for the 27 other passers down the line. So, the next person does it, the next person, the next person, and half-way through, the pass is starting to not even be worth the shipping. I know this is the extreme example, however it could happen.

Please, put equal or better. If you don't have it, then don't take it.

Having said all that, I'll double check the pricing on all your T/P's when I get home tonight David. Could be these are okay. As far as the CAO coming in a humidor, that's a very good, valid question. I think Siriusblack was correct that if there's no information out there to price the cigars without the humidor, then we have to go with the humidor with cigars price. There are GB's that go on with the humidor raffled separately, however the humidor is not separated out from the price of the cigar, at least not in the buys that I've been in. I know Jeff is having his 3rd GB on the CF22 set, however I'm almost positive he's not taking the cost of the humidor out. Is he?

Anyone else have thoughts on the equal or better rule? On the CAO humidor cost and should it be deducted from the cigars?

Jeff is definitely not taking the humidor out of the price of the sticks in the Opus 22 GB's. It comes as a set with the humi so the humi is figured in.

that being said I'm still alright with he Padron for the CAO. Without the humi the CAO is worth less, and the Padron is a better smoke IMHO. ;)

Now that's what I'm talking about! Excellent research and detailed information. Only one problem that I see, which is one of the main rules of this, and pretty much every pass, and that is "Puts must be equal or better in value". If you're putting in a cigar that's priced less than another, then it needs to have some sort of other value such as rarity, age, or both. It is not cool to take a cigar better than what you're putting. Now, as others have said, personally I would prefer the Padron over the CAO. However, we have to abide by the rules of the pass.

To go a little further on this, if I allow lower priced sticks one time, then it's going to have to be okay for the 27 other passers down the line. So, the next person does it, the next person, the next person, and half-way through, the pass is starting to not even be worth the shipping. I know this is the extreme example, however it could happen.

Please, put equal or better. If you don't have it, then don't take it.

Having said all that, I'll double check the pricing on all your T/P's when I get home tonight David. Could be these are okay. As far as the CAO coming in a humidor, that's a very good, valid question. I think Siriusblack was correct that if there's no information out there to price the cigars without the humidor, then we have to go with the humidor with cigars price. There are GB's that go on with the humidor raffled separately, however the humidor is not separated out from the price of the cigar, at least not in the buys that I've been in. I know Jeff is having his 3rd GB on the CF22 set, however I'm almost positive he's not taking the cost of the humidor out. Is he?

Anyone else have thoughts on the equal or better rule? On the CAO humidor cost and should it be deducted from the cigars?

The humidor is reflected in the single cigar price. (i.e. not deducted from the cigars)

Put's should be equal or better.....that's pretty clear language. It shouldn't be confusing for anyone, should it? ???

edit: That being said Padron for CAO = FAIL. ;) :D IMO

Wow! This is really interesting and a great experience for me. I wish I had more to add but I feel like Sweetrice's math, research, and open honesty gets a right to pass in my book. Just my $.02 and I can't wait to try and find these MSRPs when I post in a month or three. At least I will have the MSRPs on the puts haha.

As far as the humidor goes, I dont think you can factor it into the price as an 'adder' or deduct it as a 'subraction'. I think that in a pass its just part of the price. I think that as far as a GB goes, well then one lucky person gets the humidor, but not at an extra cost, its just part of the whole package.

Now on the equal or better rule, I don't think we need to nickel and dime this thing to death where at P/T have to be within 5 or 10cents, but I do think that the CAO/Padron is close to approaching a $2 difference and that one is too much. I think it might be acceptable if there was a rarity factor as an 'adder', but in this case even though most would prefer the Padron to the CAO that cant be a qualifier as an adder. So what is an acceptable difference, well I think that one is another that comes on a case by case basis and some experience, but always a greater value in the Put than the take.

Hopefully with some more experience under my "Pass Belt" that one will come alittle easier for me as I still have a hard time figuring it all out.. ;)

Art

**edit to add...

damn good research and math work David. It is helping me understand it better.

IMHO, I am more fond of the collective value ideology whereby you would value all of the Takes vs the Puts as long as there aren't any egregious differences where a Put is far too low or high of a value. However, the rules were put in place by the moderator for a reason and I think it's ultimately his call. Personally, I wouldn't assign any value beyond the sticks, but I'd prob pick the Padron over the CAO if given the choice.

T: #40 Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos: $6.07
T: #9 C.A.O Vision Epiphany: $11.76
T: # 22 Felipe Gregorio Power Triple R: $10.40
T: #27 La Riqueza No. 5: $6.53

P: #44 Perdomo Habano Gran Torpedo: $6.74 plus $0.67
P: #45 Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduro: $10.20 minus $1.56
P: #46 My Father #2 by Don Pepin Garcia: $10.10 minus $0.30
P: #47 Tatuaje Noellas: $6.95 plus $0.42

I agree I don't want to nickel and dime this pass to death, however again please follow the equal or better rule. All look good with the exception of the CAO/Padron, however I am going to go ahead and allow it. Excellent work on your Take/Put information David! ;)

Please everyone, going forward let's try and not make puts for lesser value than the take.

Andy - I need you to put the numbers in for your T/P's as soon as possible. I've got to get all the paperwork printed out to pack up in the box.

Actually, I'll go ahead and get the numbers added so I can get this thing packed up.

18) Take - Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramid #3 MSRP $18.50
19) Take - Don Pepin Black Lancero MSRP $9.99
33) Take - Padron 1926 No.2 MSRP $15.95

41) Put - Diamond Crown Maduro Torpedo #7 MSRP $18.95
42) Put - Ashton Cabinet #2 MSRP $13.95
43) Put - Opus X Double Corona MSRP $16.95

T: #40 Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos: $6.07
T: #9 C.A.O Vision Epiphany: $11.76
T: # 22 Felipe Gregorio Power Triple R: $10.40
T: #27 La Riqueza No. 5: $6.53

P: #44 Perdomo Habano Gran Torpedo: $6.74 plus $0.67
P: #45 Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduro: $10.20 minus $1.56
P: #46 My Father #2 by Don Pepin Garcia: $10.10 minus $0.30
P: #47 Tatuaje Noellas: $6.95 plus $0.42

I agree I don't want to nickel and dime this pass to death, however again please follow the equal or better rule. All look good with the exception of the CAO/Padron, however I am going to go ahead and allow it. Excellent work on your Take/Put information David! ;)

Please everyone, going forward let's try and not make puts for lesser value than the take.

Andy - I need you to put the numbers in for your T/P's as soon as possible. I've got to get all the paperwork printed out to pack up in the box.

Actually, I'll go ahead and get the numbers added so I can get this thing packed up.

18) Take - Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramid #3 MSRP $18.50
19) Take - Don Pepin Black Lancero MSRP $9.99
33) Take - Padron 1926 No.2 MSRP $15.95

41) Put - Diamond Crown Maduro Torpedo #7 MSRP $18.95
42) Put - Ashton Cabinet #2 MSRP $13.95
43) Put - Opus X Double Corona MSRP $16.95

Thank You...
smiley-thumbs-up.gif

Hey guys back after picking up some opus at a B&M I called and said they still had some :whistling:.

Ok, I agree the issue of the humidor is no longer an issue.

I thank you Greg for accepting. But here is another question that I asked before, but because I had so much on one post I think everyone missed the question being asked. What happens if we find some cigars that are cheaper than what the cigar comparison chart offers?

For an example:

C.A.O vision

I have found it to be $189.00 for the box at Habanosyhermanos.com and 229.95 at cigarplace.biz. These are just for an example so I wont get into to much details, but overall the cigar will decrease in the value that I have originally posted. Which brings in the question, that this cigar's true value is really unknown, unlike the Padron where the price is pretty much fixed at $10.20 a stick. So I was thinking that the C.A.O visions value was somewhere between $10.00 to $12.00.

Just some food for thought.

David

Greg, What did you mean by saying, "I need to get this all typed up and into the box?" Are you emailing an updated list to everyone to put in the pass each time before mailing it out?

Greg, What did you mean by saying, "I need to get this all typed up and into the box?" Are you emailing an updated list to everyone to put in the pass each time before mailing it out?

I'm using an excel spreadsheet for everything and wanted to update the cigar list with all the current T/P's before printing it. The cigar list will be in the box for everyone to fill in their T/P's when they get the pass.

Andy - It'll be on the way in the morning DC# 0103 8555 7496 6927 5044. :thumbs:

The box weighs right at 7 pounds, was a little over $11 for shipping. Please, everyone PM the next person and double check with them their address. Let's double check, triple check, quadruple check to make sure we have the correct addy to send to.

How's that Phil? :D

Hey guys back after picking up some opus at a B&M I called and said they still had some :whistling:.

I thank you Greg for accepting. But here is another question that I asked before, but because I had so much on one post I think everyone missed the question being asked. What happens if we find some cigars that are cheaper than what the cigar comparison chart offers?

For an example:

C.A.O vision

I have found it to be $189.00 for the box at Habanosyhermanos.com and 229.95 at cigarplace.biz. These are just for an example so I wont get into to much details, but overall the cigar will decrease in the value that I have originally posted. Which brings in the question, that this cigar's true value is really unknown, unlike the Padron where the price is pretty much fixed at $10.20 a stick. So I was thinking that the C.A.O visions value was somewhere between $10.00 to $12.00.

David

Not quite sure I'm understanding the question? There's nothing really set in stone as far as pricing. If there's enough box prices listed on Cyclopedia, then I usually just go with that. However, there's nothing wrong with checking out other sites (see some of the links Jeff posted earlier). Still not sure if I'm getting at what you're asking though.

For an example:

C.A.O vision

David

Not quite sure I'm understanding the question? There's nothing really set in stone as far as pricing. If there's enough box prices listed on Cyclopedia, then I usually just go with that. However, there's nothing wrong with checking out other sites (see some of the links Jeff posted earlier). Still not sure if I'm getting at what you're asking though.

Maybe the question I should ask first is this, why do venders seem to vary in prices, where a well respected Company like Padron the vendors seem to have a good set price on how much a box of XXX padron cost? Like on my chart I made, the C.A.O went from 223.00 to 252.00, but I found other site that were cheaper. While Padron 64 were within one dollar of each other of all the different vendors that I listed. It seems to me, that People have a good idea what a Padron 64 cost vs what the actual cost of a C.A.O vision is.

David

For an example:

C.A.O vision

David

Maybe the question I should ask first is this, why do venders seem to vary in prices, where a well respected Company like Padron the vendors seem to have a good set price on how much a box of XXX padron cost? Like on my chart I made, the C.A.O went from 223.00 to 252.00, but I found other site that were cheaper. While Padron 64 were within one dollar of each other of all the different vendors that I listed. It seems to me, that People have a good idea what a Padron 64 cost vs what the actual cost of a C.A.O vision is.

David

Very good question. I have no idea. :p

FYI - Link added in original post to download the spreadsheet