• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

grrrr getting sick after smoking

JonB

ive smoked gas station cigars for the past year and real ones for the past few months. out of the last 5 cigars ive smoked i got sick from 3 of them (this also happened one other time awhile ago). they were all different cigars bought from different shops. i dont inhale and i smoked them in the same place and same fashion as i always do. two were on the stronger side and the third was more medium (ive had ones of equal strength before). i would feel really really lightheaded and need to lay down. then about an hour later i would puke then feel crappy the rest of the day.

this is driving me crazy. what is wrong with me? im scared to smoke another cigar because of this.

Exactly which cigars did you smoke? Did you smoke on an empty stomach? I got sick the other day myself.. I hadnt eaten much and smoked a cigar much stronger than I normally smoke.

Sounds like a nicotine overload. Can't really explain how or why. I used to be the same way... but now, not so much. It's not like I'm smoking anything different. The only thing I can think of is perhaps how you smoke. I find the longer I hold the smoke in my mouth, the more likely I am to feel lightheaded afterwards.

And I never smoke on an empty stomach. Ever.

i have gotten sick after smoking strong cigars on an empty stomach but not the milder ones.

I tend to get sick i f I power herf though.

I agree w/ Dawn. Don't smoke a stronger cigar on an empty stomach. I've lost it from a couple cigars that way.
puke.gif

Ive chucked a few times... Ive figured out for myself that it was from the MONSTER energy drink that slammed a few hours before I smoked.
Monsters are loaded with caffine. Caffine and Nicotine work off of eachother
in your system, Makes your strong cigar a hellof a lot stonger.. just my input

me_monsterCan.gif

If you start to feel queesy, put a cube or packet of sugar under your tongue, and let it disolve. Then sip some ice cold water. And eat b4 you smoke.

Emo

I generally find that the stronger cigars are more apt to make you sick if you are not used to smoking them especially on an empty stomach.

Caffeine and nicotine work against each other with caffeine being a stimulant and nicotine being a depressant. Too much of either will knock you down for the count unless you have built a tolerance.

AVB said:
Caffeine and nicotine work against each other with caffeine being a stimulant and nicotine being a depressant. Too much of either will knock you down for the count unless you have built a tolerance.
what the

they are both stimulants man

(from what I've read/heard)

Effects of Nicotine
Nicotine changes how your brain and your body function. The net results are somewhat of a paradox: Nicotine can both invigorate and relax a smoker, depending on how much and how often they smoke. This biphasic effect is not uncommon. Although the actions of nicotine and ethanol in the body are quite different, you also see dose-dependent effects when you drink alcoholic beverages. Your first drink may loosen your inhibitions and fire you up, but after several drinks, you're usually pretty sedate.

(Taken from ask.com)

For the average smoker the the amount of nicotine usually goes past the initial stimulation stage and into the depressant stage.

Stimulants: Stimulants are drugs that arouse or excite the nervous system and speed up bodily processes. Some types of stimulants include nicotene (cigarettes), caffeine (coffee, tea, etc.), and cocaine. As you can see, there are both legal and illegal types of stimulants, but both affect the body and nervous system.

I have found that sometimes when I smoke too quickly I get a little woozy. If I'm not mistaken if you smoke to quickly the nicotine content in your system will cause you to feel sick.

thats why power herfing a strong smoke can make you sick to your stomach. too much nicotine all at once.

I have aslightly different possibility....

When I first started smoking I had a similar problem and a friend cautioned me to spit now and again. What was happening was that I (like some people) was a heavy salivator and holdin the smoke or just holding teh cigar in my mouth (even without puffing) was causing me so salivate reflexively. Then, wihtout even realising it I was swallowing the saliva.

For anybody that dips (or knows dippers) you know what tends to happen to dippers that swallow the saliva while dipping. The saliva picks up the nicotine and concentrates it and the stomach can't handle it, so you get sick. Since I started spiiting if/when I notice salivation occuring I have not been sick once - no mater the cigar strength or recency of food ingestion.

For me, at least, this was the problem and how I solved it. If you pay attention the next time you try a cigar you should notice whether this applies to you or not.

thats true too if i have a strong smoke i make sure i spit several times too. not very lady like though LOL

Treamayne said:
For anybody that dips (or knows dippers) you know what tends to happen to dippers that swallow the saliva while dipping. The saliva picks up the nicotine and concentrates it and the stomach can't handle it, so you get sick. Since I started spiiting if/when I notice salivation occuring I have not been sick once - no mater the cigar strength or recency of food ingestion.
My guess is that this would also apply to eating... because if you had food in your stomach prior to this happening, then it would be more likely to be absorbed slower, thus negating the concentration effect.

Basically, my rules of thumb for smoking:
1. Only after food
2. Never power smoke
3. Spit (or rinse mouth with water)

Never found a problem with drinking caffeine while smoking. I usually have a Coke and Johnny Red with my cigars. :)

I also spit several time while having a cigar. Its never something I've ever really thought about, I just do it. I used to dip and can attest to the fact that if you swallow some it will make you sick. I do know some people that can dip and not spit. I had a class with a guy one time that every day he would show up and put a dip in his mouth and never spit. ugh. I dont know how he did it. Back to the topic at hand, try spitting occasionally to see if it helps.
Bryan :thumbs:

i try to spit discretelyif at a bar or something! with friends i just let it fly lol

Many good suggestions here. I got woozy a few times when I first started smoking too. I've learned to smoke slower. It's much more enjoyable, the smoke is cooler and I haven't gotten seriously buzzed from a cigar for a long time.