• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I Need Answers Pronto...

$140 box of Dominicans from good factory, delivered to me from an etailer we all know, with outside shrinkwrap intact but with clearly sliced paper factory seal. Somebody had these smokes before me and returned them to the etailer, who replaced whatever was smoked and re-shrinkwrapped the merchandise. I can hear the etailer now trying to explain that "the goods were merely opened for inspection"...but that's ca-ca because nobody had better quality control in the DR than the guys who made these sticks; no need to open for inspection or anything else.

So, what would you cigar mavens do: demand a replacement box and a pre-paid shipping label to return the original box; demand only a pre-paid shipping label to return the original box; open the original box and keep the cigars saying "stuff happens;" duke it out with the CC company if the etailer says "TTCC...you bought 'em, they're yours no matter in what shape we decide to send 'em to you;" send back the sticks at my own expense and hope I get at least a credit for the purchase price (and stop doing business with the etailer)?????

I need answers. I hate when this shit happens. I pay good money for a sealed box of schmokes to be opened BY ME, not headaches caused by worrying why the box was opened before it ever got to me!!!!

First step is to contact the etailer. You are getting all wound up. Relax and see what the etailer has to say.

Gerard.

First step is to contact the etailer. You are getting all wound up. Relax and see what the etailer has to say.

Gerard.

X2 and just stare it imaman's sig. :) Shoudl calm ya right down!

Is there an issue with the condition of the cigars? Seems like you are over reacting to the situation - contact the retailer with your concerns for a resolution.

I can see where he's coming from... If I bought something new, I'd want it before someone else messed with it. For example, if I buy a new car, I don't want it after someone else has bought it and driven it for two days, then returned it. I want it fresh off the Nu-Car Carrier truck.

Who knows what was done to those sticks....

I'd call the etailer, let 'em know that you got a re-packaged box, and ask for a replacement. And they should pay to ship the doctored box back, IMHO.

Agree to contact the source. If it's a reputable one, they'll probably replace it at their expense (shipping both ways) and should probably throw something into the deal to make up for your aggravation.

I can see where he's coming from... If I bought something new, I'd want it before someone else messed with it.
...so, would you rather have an opened box that had been inspected to ensure you got good smokes, or a sealed box riddled with mold...??

Good vendors routinely inspect boxes to ensure quality. If the smokes are in good shape, I wouldn't panic....

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

...so, would you rather have an opened box that had been inspected to ensure you got good smokes, or a sealed box riddled with mold...??

Good vendors routinely inspect boxes to ensure quality. If the smokes are in good shape, I wouldn't panic....

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I do a lot of ebuying and have never gotten a box with a broken seal. Just lucky, I guess.

..but that's ca-ca because nobody had better quality control in the DR than the guys who made these sticks; no need to open for inspection or anything else.
Right....of course, smokes NEVER get moldy during transit or while in storage before shipping...... :whistling:

I think you're a bit premature on the panic button, but that's only one man's opinion.

B.B.S.

I have bought full open boxes from B&M's in the past. If the sticks were OK, no big deal. They might have been the last box and it was already opened. Some on-line sellers have retail stores as well. However, if you wanted a sealed box, contact them and tell them that. Most will make it right.

It does seem strange that they would re-shrink wrap them after cracking the seal. But it's standard to do a quick inspect before they go out. And there have been plenty of bad cigars that have come from the most reputable of all vendors in the DR.

Forgive if I missed it in the OP, but has the Original Poster stated anything alluding to the fact that the cigars are no good? Or are damaged?

Because, at this point, the box is open, yeah yeah, but, if the smokes are in good condition, WHAT'S THE HOLD-UP?

When I bought a box from Chris (hermit11), he told me he prefers to open the boxes before sending to make sure they all look okay. I was glad to have him do it, personally.

I can understand why you would want to do it yourself, but I don't think I'd concern myself too much with it.

I agree with TLD. If I pay for a box of new cigars, send me a box of new cigars. These puppies could have been Lewinsky'ed as far as he knows. That said, see what the seller says then cry foul.

Les

Forgive if I missed it in the OP, but has the Original Poster stated anything alluding to the fact that the cigars are no good? Or are damaged?

Because, at this point, the box is open, yeah yeah, but, if the smokes are in good condition, WHAT'S THE HOLD-UP?

I think the biggest problem here was that preconceived expectations of what a new box should appear like were not met. Now how those expectations became the only standard remains to be seen. My advice, as others have stated before me would be to contact the vendor who sold you the smokes and see what's up. Best of luck.

Edited to add that I think the title of the thread is a little demanding. JMHO

I have not opened the box. To do so would gut the assertion that the box was previously opened and re-wrapped; I would have zero proof the seal was sliced by someone other than me. With the original shrinkwrap intact, it's obvious the paper seal was cut before the cigars got to me.

Gee whilikers, did I sound demanding by simply asking a question? :laugh:

Thanks for most of the advice.

$140 box of Dominicans from good factory, delivered to me from an etailer we all know, with outside shrinkwrap intact but with clearly sliced paper factory seal. Somebody had these smokes before me and returned them to the etailer, who replaced whatever was smoked and re-shrinkwrapped the merchandise. I can hear the etailer now trying to explain that "the goods were merely opened for inspection"...but that's ca-ca because nobody had better quality control in the DR than the guys who made these sticks; no need to open for inspection or anything else.

So, what would you cigar mavens do: demand a replacement box and a pre-paid shipping label to return the original box; demand only a pre-paid shipping label to return the original box; open the original box and keep the cigars saying "stuff happens;" duke it out with the CC company if the etailer says "TTCC...you bought 'em, they're yours no matter in what shape we decide to send 'em to you;" send back the sticks at my own expense and hope I get at least a credit for the purchase price (and stop doing business with the etailer)?????

I need answers. I hate when this shit happens. I pay good money for a sealed box of schmokes to be opened BY ME, not headaches caused by worrying why the box was opened before it ever got to me!!!!

The advice given to you was all good. The fact that you've got your panties in a bunch and have made all of the above assumptions is a bit ludicrous. Do you know for a fact that someone actually bought those then returned them? And what about the whole line on replacing what was smoked with other sticks not from the original box?

And by the way, not to sound snobby or anything, but a $140 box of cigars is not nearly high end or something where you should feel as if you've just made that retailers month by purchasing them.

Like others said, instead of jumping the gun so quick why don't you check out the cigars and contact the retailer (but you'd better lose the attitude) and see what they say about it.

A simply asked question would have been the following:

"Hey guys, I just received a box of cigars and I noticed something odd. It was shrink-wrapped but the paper seal underneath the shrink was cleanly cut. The vendor is someone familiar to CPers and the cigars are from a manufacturer known for their tight quality control. Any ideas as to how this might have happened? How do you think I should handle this with the seller?"

What you did was start a thread with an urgent, implied demand in the title and the proceed to pile on the innuendo, speculation, and histrionics. I don't often see quadruple exclamation marks and quintuple question marks used in a calm, straightforward request for advice. Reactions such as you exhibited are the stuff of customer service nightmares for conscientious vendors who strive to serve their customers well. Really. Do you think you're justified in initiating a charge back with your CC company at this point? If so, then you'd better prepare yourself to find that your list of responsive vendors continually dwindling.

Calm down, listen to the folks doing their best to offer you useful guidance, and accept it graciously. If you do this, you'll find that you're more likely to be heard here, as well as on the other side of the order line.

Wilkey