• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

Intermittent shift keys seem to be popular as of late. ;) Please, just take a couple of seconds to read over what you typed before hitting enter. A little effort is all that is asked.

Intermittent shift keys seem to be popular as of late. ;) Please, just take a couple of seconds to read over what you typed before hitting enter. A little effort is all that is asked.

Or, pictures of your otherwise valuable talents (if producing readable prose is not your strong suit).

Of course all the butchering of the English language helps to dispel the myth of the "elitist cigar smoker."

Bumped for what seems like a sudden and recent deterioration in overall quality of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.

I realize that in some part it's likely due to unfamiliarity with newly acquired technogadgets, fat and/or slimy fingers on touchscreens (Pro tip: wipe the boogers onto your pants prior to typing, Gary), arthritic claws skittering about on tiny keyboards, and other similar kinks that will presumably work themselves out with time, but I figured it couldn't hurt to fart out a reminder...

I think it's just a Holiday phenomenon. A lot of drinking and postin'

Doc

What , a lot of drinking and posting . I'll drink to that " burp " , oops , " fart " sorry :laugh:

It seems that two spacing started when type writers were invented to help make it easier to read but prior to that it was one space. Since computers it's no longer necessary as it's easier to see the distinction both on screen and on paper.

I'm a two spacer as that's how I've been taught to type since I first started with a type writer (electronic one mind you) to now using a computer. My English teachers, history profs, psych profs, social work profs etc. have all said two spaces is the proper way. It's habit now. APA also states that in published material only one space should be used. MLA states it doesn't really matter except when directed otherwise by professors or editors.

Those of us who learned to type on Underwoods put two spaces after a period, question mark and a colon. If any of you young fellas want to tell Mrs. Peck different, go right ahead. It does look wrong on a word processor, however. Just look at the space between Mrs. and Peck.

Doc.

I always use two spaces. Its how I learned to type. Can't see myself changing to one space anytime soon.

I always use two spaces. Its how I learned to type. Can't see myself changing to one space anytime soon.

Same here; my old tenth grade typing teacher (from 1973) would become transfigured if I became a 'one-spacer'.
laugh.gif

I get a lot of older students who are returning to school in my English Composition classes who use two spaces after punctuation marks. I just tell them to be consistent in its usage instead of trying to teach them the current fashion.

Worst habit I've had to break concerns many of the veterans writing papers all in caps. I say there's no need to yell at me with your writing.

I usually use 2 spaces after a period (only at the end of a sentence), everything else is one space. That's how I learned in school, my teachers have always told me as long as I am consistent, then they are fine with it. I have a hard time changing it.

I get a lot of older students who are returning to school in my English Composition classes who use two spaces after punctuation marks. I just tell them to be consistent in its usage instead of trying to teach them the current fashion.

Worst habit I've had to break concerns many of the veterans writing papers all in caps. I say there's no need to yell at me with your writing.

Do you mean veterans as in ex-military or just older students? Curious as to who would type an entire paper in all caps.