• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Major Announcement - Cigar Community as a whole

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Dear Members,

Things are changing in the online cigar community, and I feel it’s necessary that I fill you in on what’s going on, and our stance on this recent development.

You may have noticed that five cigar forums were recently sold to a gentleman named Jon Caputo.

Jon purchased:
Club Stogie
Top 25 Cigar
Cigar Live
Cigar Review
Cigar Smokers

...about a week or so ago. This is quite an acquisition…

Jon approached me about a year ago and wanted to purchase CigarPass. I declined… A couple months ago he approached me again wanting to purchase CigarPass. Without going into too much detail on the offer, I will say it was enough money for a good down payment on a house (in California) plus money left over for a new car. His offer also included keeping me on board as a paid consultant. I doubt the offers he proposed to some of the other sites were as generous (surely it depends on the reputation, size, etc of the site he’s eyeing).

I started CigarPass in 2000; I have always had a very strong passion for cigars, which is why I decided to start CP long ago. CP has become one of the largest, most trafficked and most respected cigar communities around. I never had any intention of trying to make a quick buck with CP; I have made many very good friends because of CigarPass. That in itself is priceless, and I don’t want anything to change.

I don’t know Mr. Caputo other than the correspondence I have had with him over the past year, however he says that he is passionate about cigars, and wants to take the forums that he recently purchased to the next level. I will say that if Jon paid anywhere near what he offered me for CigarPass, he has a major investment in those five forums. Business is business, and it appears that his goal is to make money from those forums; most likely with advertising revenue, content purchased, etc.

We’ll have to wait and see how this transpires...should be quite interesting. My only thought is, if he is so passionate about cigars, why was he never been a member of any of the forums in the past? It’s about turning his purchases into revenue making entities. It seems people on the other forums have a lot of questions that are not being answered. As a member of a community, they’re entitled to answers. After all, it’s the members who make the community… When you think about it, one owner of multiple forums would most likely treat those forums as one, bundling them all together in a sense. If you get banned from one forum, do you get banned from the others as well? Are the rules now the same for all forums? Members of those communities have a lot of good questions – we’ll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

I did some research on Jon and his previous acquisitions, and I came across some unhappy people who had wished they never sold out. I’ve been participating in online communities for the past 15 years, and it’s rare that an acquisition of a community goes smooth. This acquisition is major, involving five cigar sites…

My loyalties have and always will be to this community and its members. CP is the largest privately owned cigar community around, and things aren’t about to change for us, you have my word. I have declined all offers, and will continue to do so. Passion is a strong word, and I think I’ve proven how passionate I really am about this community, and how much it means to me.

That’s all I know right now, we’ll have to wait and see how things transpire.

I wish the other forums a lot of success, however buy-outs rarely ever go smoothly for the members.

I will post more information as it becomes available.

Yours Truly,
Rod
CigarPass - The ONE and ONLY

Edited to add Top 25 Cigars as one of the acquired sites.

Good on you Rod! Thank you for standing up for your beliefs and passion, and keeping this place what it is and has always been!

Integrity is priceless. We all thank you for that, Rod. :thumbs:

Greatest appreciation from the phish.

Thanks, Rod, for your passion and integrity is about all I can say!

That's quite interesting, Rod.

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark..." :whistling:

I haven't been here for very long, but I do really enjoy the community very much and I thank you not only for providing it in the first place, but also for sticking to your values and protecting what you believe in and have worked for in spite of what must have been quite a tempting offer.

Wow, Rod, this shows how much you really do love this place. I am a big believer that actions speak more loudly than words. I wish you nothing but the best. I am sure some older and wiser folks can elaborate more on how much you mean to not only Cigar pass, but the whole Cigar community around the world. Thanks again Rod. Hope for many more years of success on Cigar Pass.

All the best,

David

Rod,

You...are...the man! CigarPass would NOT be CigarPass without you at the helm.

You know that should you need any measure of support from me, you need only ask.

Wilkey

BTW, if he purchased these sites a week ago, why aren't there any announcements at those forums? ??? I would have expected that these sites would have revealed the acquisitions already.

That's a lot of double double brother! :D

Thanks for not getting fat off CP.

:thumbs:

Thank you, Rod, for not only reinforcing my choice to be a member of this forum, but also my love for this hobby and those in it.

Thank you Rod for this great site. It is truly a great place to escape the realities of every day life. I've made several friends, and learned a lot about the finer cigars. Even though I'd been a cigar smoker for 30 plus years. It just goes to show that even an old dog can learn a new trick or two. Thanks again Rod!!!

Thank you Rod for caring more about our community than money. That says a lot about you. I've held you in high regard, but my opinion for you has multiplied 10 fold.

Doc.

Wow, I haven't been around long as well but that's great to hear Rod. My short time with this community has been great, and I'm glad to hear that things won't be changing.

Rod your dedication to this site, to this community cannot be summed up in words. While I so appreciate what you have done to step in for CP in this most recent development, I would hope that everyone here would want what is best for you as well. That being said, the way you have handled this thus far speaks volumes about the man we all knew you were anyway...we love you, we love this community. Thank you's seem to be not enough right now :)

Much love,

Melly

In this economy?
You should have sold!

Thanks for sticking with us man!

-Rob

Thank you for your show of character and integrity Rod. Google isn't turning much up on this guy, does anyone know anything about him?