• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Contribution to the site....BBQ

Hillbilly Steaks said:
Mrepp said:
Hillbilly,
I don’t suppose you have any good methods on BBQ’ing Venison? Mine always seems to get dried out.

Regards,
Mark
[snapback]270475[/snapback]​

I haven't tried BBQ'n Deer yet. A good remedy though is using a mop sauce. It will help keep the meat moist, and in theory should work great for the deer because the vinegar will help take away the gameyness of the meat.

try this one. Apply it liberally while cooking. Should help

1 quart vinegar
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 jalapeno's thinly sliced
4 teaspoons of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of hot red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of black pepper.

Just mix up well and its ready to go.
[snapback]270482[/snapback]​

One BBQ tip to ensure moist meat... During the 2nd half of smoking take foil wrap the meat in it and add about half a can of cola or Dr. Pepper. I am not too sure about the time period you add the pop...
Learned that from a guy who had deeelicious Q.
I've also heard about injecting coke into the meat!

Hope that'll spark some smoke for ya!

-Rob

Coke is a tenderizer. As long as you have a water pan in your smoker, your meat won't be dry.

Hillbilly Steaks said:
Diesel Grinch said:
Hillbilly Steaks said:
Diesel Grinch said:
Hillybilly Steaks welcome from New Jersey.

And adding those pics was just wrong.  Now I'm hungrey for some BBQ.  Living up north you find out that most think putting anything on the grill is BBQ.  They don't understand you need to slow cook for BBQ.  Oh well.

Welcome once again.
[snapback]270428[/snapback]​

yeah, there are a lot of people that have no idea.

BTW, I was just up in your area for christmas. Sussex county new jersey. Anywhere near you??
[snapback]270468[/snapback]​

Yep. That's the county I live in. Which town where you in?
[snapback]270477[/snapback]​

Tranquility. Its my wifes home town.
[snapback]270479[/snapback]​

I'm just up the street a bit in Newton.

We don't get much BBQ out here and what I have had is quite expensive. I've been planning to do a BBQ trip someday but just haven't got there yet. Thanks for the recipes HillBilly!

Now, how about something for turkey :rolleyes:

:cool:

Wow, I'm loving the BBQ discussion. My father makes his own BBQ sauce which I like more than anything else. It's more of a KC style sauce, and he won't give anyone the recipe :)

We grill though. No time/space/equipment to properly BBQ.

I'm wondering, whats the difference between smoking something and true BBQ? From what I have read and seen, they appear very similar.

welcome aboard TO CP I to have been BBQ ing for a long time also I have been working for a good friend parents BBQ Company for 18 years long time So I would love to learn some new tips. Welcome from sunny San Jose

Pyre said:
Wow, I'm loving the BBQ discussion. My father makes his own BBQ sauce which I like more than anything else. It's more of a KC style sauce, and he won't give anyone the recipe :)

We grill though. No time/space/equipment to properly BBQ.

I'm wondering, whats the difference between smoking something and true BBQ? From what I have read and seen, they appear very similar.
[snapback]270590[/snapback]​

I think the only real difference in smoking and BBQ is the temperature. Stuff that is smoked is normally at a lot lower temp.

125-200 degrees....Smoking.
200-300 BBQ.

You're still using wood for your heat and flavor in both cases.

Hillbilly all this posting inspired me yesterday to go out and BBQ! I made some kickass chicken with one of your Carolina BBQ Sauces for it to marinate in. The_Gurkha came over and when my mom got off of work she was amazed that I was cooking. Its a rareity that it was 50 degrees in Mo. in Jan. After dinner me and the_gurkha sat on my front porch and smoked some Padron 64 Maddies! Very great cigar after some great BBQ!

HILLYBILLY WELCOME TO CP!! :thumbs:

Its too cold to BBQ in PA, but when it gets warm i'll be trying some of your recipes!!! Great info, welcome to the board!

Welcome Hillbilly!

Great info on BBQ! I'm up in Va. and just love NC BBQ!

I got an offset firebox smoker and tried it out this fall, worked like a champ with a few modifications.

I'm not sure......but I think pics like that are against board rules....unless you bribe Rod with a sampler.... :whistling:

My mouth is watering and my eyes are glazing over, that looks like some great BBQ!

I do need a new BBQ chicken recipe, if you got one handy? :D

Welcome from KCMO!

Dave

those ribs look fantastic. im giving them a shot as soon as i get my smoker back.

Hi everyone! i'm new here, but know "Mr. HillBillySteaks" pretty well...

I gotta tell ya, this guy smokes some GREAT eats!!! the jerky is outstanding! and the thought of the ribs makes my stomach growl.

Good on ya, hillbilly! keep up the great work!

ok guys, so I got a PM with a request for how to cook Prime Rib on the grill. So I figured I'd post it up for everyone to see. This type of cut isn't the easiest thing to cook, but it also isn't impossible. A few things to consider. I'm not going to get into the whole propane vs. charcoal or wood debate, the thing to really conisder is are you able to do indirect heat, or only direct heat. What I mean by that is indirect heat works kind of like an oven, the internal area of where you are cooking heats up to a certain temperature, but its not concentrated right under the meat. Most grills are designed primarily for direct heat. When you cook a steak, you are using direct heat. But most of the time you only leave the steak on for about 5 minutes per side. When cooking a bone in rib roast, it needs indirect heat. Otherwise you will burn the hell out one side and it won't be worth a damn.

How to acheive indirect heat???

If you are using a round charcoall grill you can either push the charcoal all over to one side, or you can make a ring of charcoal around the very outside and put a drip pan in the center. You would then place your roast directly in the center, above the drip pan.

Using a gas grill. If possible, only turn the burners on one side. This will allow you to set the internal temperature to what it needs to be, and have one side open to no direct heat. So for example, the burners on the right side of the grill are on, but you will then place the roast on the left side of the grill.

Ok, now that we've got that straight you now have to set your temperature. This will be a bit more difficult for you guys with the charcoal grill, but start with a smaller amount of coals and add to it, to get the desired temp. Easier to add then to take away. Guy with the gas grills, just adjust your heat until you get a steady temp. I prefer to cook rib roasts in the 250-275 degree range.

Preparing the Rib Roast for cooking.
There are endless approaches to this, but one of the best ways to season it, is also the simplest. Simple is good.
In a bowl combine.
1/4 cup of FRESH GROUND pepper
1/4 cup of Kosher Salt, not table salt.
pour in some olive oil and stir. Not exactly sure about how much olive oil, but you want it to be a nice paste, not a runny mess. I never measure, I just add it. This will be the rub you apply to the Rib Roast. Rub a good coating of this to all sides of the roast.

OPTIONAL..... If you want to, you can get some fresh cloves of garlic and cut them into small slices. Then around the outside of the Roast, cut little slits and insert the fresh garlic to the outside. You can also insert garlic to the inside of the roast by cutting straight into the roast and pushing the garlic in.

Cooking the Rib roast!
Its always a good idea to brush the grill grates with oil before putting in the meat. Helps keep it from sticking.
Now regardless if you are using a bone in or boneless rib roast, you want to put the fatty side of the cut facing up in the grill. as it cooks, the fat will melt down a bit and run back through the meat. This is a good thing. Figure on 12-14 minutes of cooking time per pound.
When checking for doneness of the meat, use and instant read meat thermometer, you can pick them up at most grocery stores cheap. Insert it directly into the center. It should read 145 degrees for medium rare, and 160 for medium. When it is done, transfer it to the cutting board. Let the roast sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting into it. This is very important. If you want at this point, you can brush a light coating of olive oil on the roast.

This should be all you need. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sorry for the long post!
E

almost forgot... charred outside...medium rare juicy inside.
muhahahahahaa :whistling:
BBQRibRoast-003.jpg

Mmmmmm...Que. BBQ and smoking meats is really my first love. had an ECB, used it once and it sucked. Tossed it and got myself a WSM with a Maverick and have been loving life ever since. Nothing better than perfect ribs or a pork butt. The cats a$$ is smoked chuck roast...nothing better than that.

Glad to meet you.

Pulled pork pics...

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbabek

pierce652 said:
Mmmmmm...Que. BBQ and smoking meats is really my first love. had an ECB, used it once and it sucked. Tossed it and got myself a WSM with a Maverick and have been loving life ever since. Nothing better than perfect ribs or a pork butt. The cats a$$ is smoked chuck roast...nothing better than that.

Glad to meet you.

Pulled pork pics...

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbabek
[snapback]271952[/snapback]​

Nice work. Those pics look great. Nothing quite like a boston butt, eh???

great post erick. one question....i have a gas grill that has 3 burners, so i should be able to create indirect heat, but i also have a kabob heater in the back of my grill. would this be a better option for creating indirect heat?

im think im going to try one next weekend. ill let you know how it turns out. any idea on how to make au ju (sp?) sauce?

thanks again.

I would just try and test it out. But if anything, cook a smaller rib roast. That way you can limit the area you need. But even though you have 3 burners, you should still be able to control left and right. Just try it out man.

If you do end up cooking on a hot spot, just rotate it every half hour or so.

good luck!

Erick, Is there a trick besides wood chips to get a gas grill to have a bit more of the BBQ flavor?

Traded my Weber kettle in for there Hi-Fi gas and it just aint there!

Jerry

tangomar said:
Erick, Is there a trick besides wood chips to get a gas grill to have a bit more of the BBQ flavor?

Traded my Weber kettle in for there Hi-Fi gas and it just aint there!

Jerry
[snapback]272190[/snapback]​

eh, not really. It depends on what you're cooking. If you have something in there that takes a while to cook, they have boxes that you can fill with wet wood chips and put it down near the flame. That will help, other than that, I'm not sure.

I would concentrate more on your marinade, and using really good quality cuts of meat to make up for it.