• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Tobacco and Accessory Wish PIF

Thanks Alan!

Thanks for showing up at the thursday night herf. It was nice meeting you.

paul

It was good to meet you, as well. :) Your Squadron Leader will go out tomorrow. I'm planning on sending Tim a package that will contain it if he'll accept the responsibility of delivery. :laugh:

You should get it at the Thursday nighter if all goes as planned. If not, I'll send it separately.

OK, no responses for a couple of days.

How about someone's favorite...hmmm...their favorite Burley that isn't Butternut Burley or Haunted Bookshop. anything. Whatever you have that you think I should try, I'm willing to try it.

Alan,

You like straight Virginia? If so I got something I think you'd like.

Paul

Seems kind of lonely in here.

I'd add a wish but I don't know if anyone is still playing.

Go ahead and wish away. It has been quiet. I'm not sure what happened to everyone. Maybe Pipes are more of a fall/winter thing for most people?

I might be keen to hop in on this, but I don't have a lot around. I will run to my local B&M if need be though, so post your wish

OK Here Goes:

McCelland >> Grand Orientals: Samsun or Oriental No. 8
GL Pease >> Westminster or Renaissance
Rattray >> Hal O' The Wynd

Paul

I am thinking one of my local shops should have one of those. count me in! I will have to grab it this weekend, so I will post the tracking # on monday or tuesday.

Go ahead and wish away. It has been quiet. I'm not sure what happened to everyone. Maybe Pipes are more of a fall/winter thing for most people?

Ive always been told about the seasonal differences in pipes and stogies. Not that I really follow them per se, but I have noticed myself steadily drifting from pipes in the warmer months. Either that, or I just really havent had much time to smoke anything...which is probably the case. As soon as I can fulfill some wishes, Ill jump back in the game Alan!

I am thinking one of my local shops should have one of those. count me in! I will have to grab it this weekend, so I will post the tracking # on monday or tuesday.

Thanks! That didn't take as long as I thought. Now its your turn to make a wish.

I'm not sure what happened to everyone. Maybe Pipes are more of a fall/winter thing for most people?
That may be part of it. I'd have thought the economy and fuel prices would drive a few(like myself) away from spending so much on cigars. Perhaps it has, but apparently that doesn't translate to pipe smoking. ;) That was a major part of my motivation in starting to smoke my pipe again.

I hope to be placing an order before the end of the month. I'll check here first and see if I can fill a wish. :thumbs:

Steve

This thread is a really cool idea, and I've enjoyed participating in it and also enjoyed reading it a lot.

That said, I know for me personally the high cost of postage makes it a bit suboptimal.

It seems a bit inefficient to spend $4 to send someone a $6 tin of tobacco.

I have done a LOT of trading and swapping of cigars, but there the numbers make more sense, I think, because it's super easy to break open up a box of cigars and send a few to someone and your average cigar runs $3-$5 each so a five stick trade is $20-$30 in cigars, if not $50 in cigars, and then spending $4 to ship it is pretty easy to justify.

I've been brewing a thought for a while though about doing some sort of group buy box pass pipe tobacco thing. First, figure out how many 2 oz tins fit in a small flat rate box (I think $9 to ship) and then have a bunch of folks all send $$ maybe a tin or two worth of money and group it together, make one big purchase of tins from one of the vendors that offers flat rate shipping, and then have each person receive the box, bag up their own 3 or 4 gram samples, hell maybe even put a scale in there, I dunno, and then send it on. Everyone would pay the same $$ for tobacco and pay one fee to ship the box down the line. You might get to try 15 different kinds of tobacco for an investment of $20 or something like that.

This idea might not be totally workable, but it strikes me as the general type of idea that might really work as something that is hard for us to do individually (try a bunch of tobaccos in an economical way) but might be easy to do collectively.

This thread is a really cool idea, and I've enjoyed participating in it and also enjoyed reading it a lot.

That said, I know for me personally the high cost of postage makes it a bit suboptimal.

It seems a bit inefficient to spend $4 to send someone a $6 tin of tobacco.

I have done a LOT of trading and swapping of cigars, but there the numbers make more sense, I think, because it's super easy to break open up a box of cigars and send a few to someone and your average cigar runs $3-$5 each so a five stick trade is $20-$30 in cigars, if not $50 in cigars, and then spending $4 to ship it is pretty easy to justify.

I've been brewing a thought for a while though about doing some sort of group buy box pass pipe tobacco thing. First, figure out how many 2 oz tins fit in a small flat rate box (I think $9 to ship) and then have a bunch of folks all send $ maybe a tin or two worth of money and group it together, make one big purchase of tins from one of the vendors that offers flat rate shipping, and then have each person receive the box, bag up their own 3 or 4 gram samples, hell maybe even put a scale in there, I dunno, and then send it on. Everyone would pay the same $ for tobacco and pay one fee to ship the box down the line. You might get to try 15 different kinds of tobacco for an investment of $20 or something like that.

This idea might not be totally workable, but it strikes me as the general type of idea that might really work as something that is hard for us to do individually (try a bunch of tobaccos in an economical way) but might be easy to do collectively.
We floated that idea last year before we did the Boswell Pass. I know that they do something very similar over on another board (I've seen you over there;) ), but it didn't seem to gather much interest here. I'm not saying it's a bad idea (I actually presented it last year).

I think the idea behind this thread (at least for me) is more of a joy of sharing type thing. I don't know if it's specified in the rules or not, but I don't see why you couldn't send something out via First Class mail. I know a DC is nice, but really what does it do for you? I know, I know, it's just the way we do things around here, but that's on the cigar side of things. We could do it a little differently here if the cost is really an issue. The stakes are generally lower with this PIF.

I don't mind sending someone a tin of tobacco via Priority (after all, sending out cigars is actually costing you more money if you're bombing or participating in the MAW/PIF thread than sending a tin of tobacco), but I don't look at it as a transaction of anything other than goodwill to my fellow pipe smoking BOTL. It's not a "deal" thing for me.

Others may not agree, and that's fine.

Well put Alan. I like the PIF. Even though it slows down from time to time, the premise is grand.

I can see both points as being valid. Perhaps a tweak of some sort?

I sent Dan a couple nice cigars with the 965 so maybe a tin plus a surprise. The surprise could be cigars, coffee, tea, RYO, ashtray, booze, etc. Just a thought.

Steve

I can see both points of view.

I don't feel particularly obligated to send anything extra since this is a pipe forum (ie cigars) and certainly wouldn't want anyone else to feel obligated. Infact I appreciate those of you who have chosen to do so. Expecting something extra kind of defeats the purpose of sharing for sharing's sake. IMHO

However, I would continue to participate regardless if it was a mandatory part of the PIF. I just wonder if others would (ie those just taking up the pipe)?

My 2 cents.......but all is good

I can see both points of view.

I don't feel particularly obligated to send anything extra since this is a pipe forum (ie cigars) and certainly wouldn't want anyone else to feel obligated. Infact I appreciate those of you who have chosen to do so. Expecting something extra kind of defeats the purpose of sharing for sharing's sake. IMHO

However, I would continue to participate regardless if it was a mandatory part of the PIF. I just wonder if others would (ie those just taking up the pipe)?

My 2 cents.......but all is good
Your thinking is correct. No one is obligated to send anything other than what was wished for and granted. It is completely up to the sender whether they send anything else. I think it was mentioned really as way to make the shipping cost seem a little more "worth it."

I just don't know that we have enough pipe smokers here to support a fast moving thread like the cigar MAW/PIF. The idea of sharing is wonderful and I think the thread should continue. I just think maybe we shouldn't expect it to move too quickly.

I also hope nobody feels too intimidated to participate. We're all pretty friendly. :)