• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recent treasury department letter

Gonz

really, enough

i read your profile

" I'm a stay at home dad with my 2 year old."

as in ...

My ultimate dream job! Man, what could be better?!?!?

...I think at least one of the lessons here is to remind everyone that the Trading With The Enemy Act is real and has negative consequences for those who violate its provisions. I don't know if they let you smoke cigars in prison or not...

You can smoke all the Cubans you want in Guantanamo.
:sign:

More like, all the Cubans will smoke, well, part of him in Gitmo!! Anyone say prison biatch??

Gonz

really, enough

i read your profile

as in unemployed,loser,can't hold a job,wife runs the household, controls the money, while you scrub the toilet's

you sound like a real man's man, better stick with insulting strangers on the internet, safe haven for you

and i am outa here, it's a shame, the cigar forums were so much fun many years back

i'll go back to where the men congregate, you kids can play insult the newbie all alone

regards to the good guy's left on the forum, not sure how you stand this new generation of geek.

Kurt

(feel free to delete my acct any moderators out there)

Who is this little piss ass? Although I find the whole subject to be total bullshit myself I take offence to the above statement. As many here know I am a stay at home dad, and as for this
as in unemployed,loser,can't hold a job,wife runs the household, controls the money, while you scrub the toilet's

you sound like a real man's man, better stick with insulting strangers on the internet, safe haven for you
Any time you feel the need to come out from behind your keyboard {Mr. Internet} and would like to prove your statement as true or how much of a man you really are, I would be happy to have you by for a visit! Make sure your health insurance is up to date, you will need it. ;) Another loud mouth internet tough guy joins CP. :rolleyes:

What's the deal with all these one or two post people coming in here and posting things against Kurt?

Wait, I don't care - Kurt's an asshole!

Mr. Holz reports on another forum that he is interested in Japenese swords.

edit: If you're not a member of hcf, then here's the post

"I was a member of a very active cigar forum many years ago, however other interests, ( audio,Japanese swords,Asian pottery) has lead me to other forums, any of us who have been active in obtaining Cuban contraband have had a few confiscated, followed by there generic warnings,

however, since i havent had any confiscations in over 10 years, and since the Treasury department has most obviously started on a new mission, going as far as looking up credit crad transactions dating back over a year, and the strong tone of the letter, my intent was to offer a warning to other cigar lovers as to possibly a stepped up offensive by uncle sam

that was my first concern, notify all of you of a new chapter in the governmants actions against the few of us who won't settle for less than the best, ( my opinion)

nothing more, nothing less, please feel inclined to take the information and use it or not as you deem fit

i am just not a sheep, i won't be intimidated into supplying information in strict defiance of my 5th amendment rights, i felt it was a strong enough attack that other cigar smokers might like being notified before they decide to order something overseas

again, i am happy to send a copy to all those interested, and any attorneys versed in this kind of law, who have an opinion they would share with us all, and would care to voice an opinion would be much appreciated''

regards to all

Kurt"

A search using his name as keys words reveals this.

Now, our friend here is obviously dealing in some high end merchandise that can only be had via non-traditional shopping methods; you can't just pop out to the super market and grab an antique samari sword. It is not unheard of to sometimes "bend" rules when amassing such an impressive (international) inventory as that on the referenced web site. Not that Mr. Holz would ever operate outside of any legal guidelines, but he may have rubbed elbows with some who might.

At any rate, in our present international climate, above-board international trade might easily attract attention and scrutiny. If during the course of such scrutiny any below-board activity were detected, then Mr. Holz would be fucked.

Now, here's why it's a good idea to be careful from this point forward: I work with the feds in a completely un-related way. And, I know for a fact that when someone gets in trouble with the feds, the more "friends" with similar involvement said person can serve up to the federal judges, prosecutors, investigating teams, etc., the better they like it. Before charges its called confidential informing. After charges its called plea bargaining. And, as extra incentive for getting said person to drop as many dimes as possible, federal officials agree to play a little nicer during the sentencing phase of any legal proceedings.

Right now, Mr. Holz is not only a rude asshole, he is potentially a dangerous one to any who might have made cuban cigar purchases.

Interesting info Ted. I wonder if this guy isn't on the radar for... oh I don't know... stolen Japanese antiquities? And maybe the cigars just happened to be the added bonus the 'Man' was looking for to add some teeth to complaints.

I'm sure all the duty and other fees are paid up to the government for those $10000+ swords. :whistling:

Just to point out a few things.... this investigation, if true, is not about the purchase of cigars manufactured in Cuba. It is about the transfer of funds from American credit card accounts to overseas accounts. These transfers/purchases are reported regulary by your bank, to the DHS. Apparently there is a red flag somewhere that is causing this. It falls in the realm of the Patriot Act. If you are purchasing items from overseas, you can expect to have your transactions looked at, especially if the numbers are large and there are regular purchases from the same "vendors."

Couple things about this:

- Matt writes wisely above, I think.

- It's worth noting again that Kurt is not the only one who has received this letter. I doubt it has anything to do with sword sales.

- I'm a new guy here, and probably ought to keep my mouth shut, but that's never been my strong point. I think Kurt meant well in trying to disseminate this information. I further think that he reacted badly to people's skepticism.

Lastly, if what Kurt was buying had been those little Partagas machine made jobs, would this thread instead be titled, "Chicos and the Man?" :p

Finally a good answer to my question! Thanks Matt! :thumbs:

Just to point out a few things.... this investigation, if true, is not about the purchase of cigars manufactured in Cuba. It is about the transfer of funds from American credit card accounts to overseas accounts. These transfers/purchases are reported regulary by your bank, to the DHS. Apparently there is a red flag somewhere that is causing this. It falls in the realm of the Patriot Act. If you are purchasing items from overseas, you can expect to have your transactions looked at, especially if the numbers are large and there are regular purchases from the same "vendors."

Gonz

really, enough

i read your profile

and i am outa here, it's a shame, the cigar forums were so much fun many years back

i'll go back to where the men congregate, you kids can play insult the newbie all alone

regards to the good guy's left on the forum, not sure how you stand this new generation of geek.

Kurt

I hate you Kurt. You owe me a new keyboard and a new soda. Bastard.

By the way, are you a level 1 trauma sturgeon? Because, only people with jobs like that can take down other people a notch or two.

He's a level 1 trauma fish?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This thread just keeps getting better!!

Well, that's what he said. I just assumed he was talking about really good caviar.

Gonz

really, enough

i read your profile

Kurt

I hate you Kurt. You owe me a new keyboard and a new soda. Bastard.

By the way, are you a level 1 trauma sturgeon? Because, only people with jobs like that can take down other people a notch or two.

He's a level 1 trauma fish?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This thread just keeps getting better!!