• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

This thread got me interested in traditional wet shaving again. I got sick of paying the insane prices for the cartridge razor blades, so I started here for reference and ended up finding a great online retail store that's based in Canada so I don't have to worry at all about customs and the hassles that can come with ordering from other countries.

I got a Merkur 38C, EJ brush, and a blade sampler for Christmas. So far I've only had a couple shaves where I nicked myself or had some mildly painful razor burn. I love the process involved in prepping, building the lather, shaving, and everything. Very relaxing.

Thanks for the replies so far. At some point, I need to start looking like a respectable (for those who consider shaved respectable) human being and I think it'll pay dividends later on to get everything sorted out now.

All My Best,

Mark

I'm jumping into this thread since I was just gifted a 1959 Gillette E2 Fat Boy as a birthday gift. I'm shopping blades, soaps and aftershaves, as I already have a decent AoS brush. :thumbs:

I'm jumping into this thread since I was just gifted a 1959 Gillette E2 Fat Boy as a birthday gift. I'm shopping blades, soaps and aftershaves, as I already have a decent AoS brush.
thumbs-up.gif

Feather blades. George F. Trumpers creams or soaps and Speick aftershave. Congrats on your acquisition. It's the height of razor technology. I'm currently using an '67 Aristocrat.

Doc.

I'm jumping into this thread since I was just gifted a 1959 Gillette E2 Fat Boy as a birthday gift. I'm shopping blades, soaps and aftershaves, as I already have a decent AoS brush. :thumbs:

You can get the Personna Platinum blades on Ebay. Last time I got mine it was like $8 for a pack of 100 blades. I have a decent collection of Gillete's from the 1940's to the 1960's. Some of them are Gold plated as well. My oldest one if from a WW I Khaki set. Unfortunately I just have the 3 piece razor and I think its from a 1917 set. I prefer the Slim Adjustable Gillette over all the ones I own. Then the Gillette Red Tip.

But my go to blade is a Straight edge I had restored in Amboyna Wood and I also have a custom Amboyna wood brush with finest badger hair. Was definitely worth the little investment that went into it.

DSCF0443.jpg

Above picture is me surviving my first straight edge shave with my custom restored straight edge.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Mr_Peat/Shaving/?start=all
Above link is some pictures of my shaving world.

Another name in soaps that I'm currently enjoying is D.R. Harris, in the Marlborough scent.

Nice to see the replies. Loren...beautiful collection you have. I had given up on getting myself some quality shaving gear after seeing the prices of some AOS stuff. I've used their products for a few years, but they're overpriced and had to scale back to what I could afford. I've owned a decent brush since the first time I used one, and was just enlightened to the idea of using a DE razor. I had no idea that very good DE's could be purchased for quite reasonable prices. I joined B&B but I'm sincerely hoping that I'm going to be happy enough with this Fat Boy to use it for some time going forward. I was happy to find that there are products on the market that are cheaper than AOS and of the same or higher quality. I'm pretty excited... :)

I just made the jump into this world over the weekend. I was using an electric shaver, since it was easy; never really liked the shave though.

I just picked up a Merkur Futur Adjustable razor with all of the accessories. The two times that I have used it so far have been great! Takes a little longer to shave, since I am still a bit tentative about using a razor like this, but couldn't be happier with the save!

I trade around for different razor and shaving depending on where I am. Some stuff I found that works great is things from the King of Shaves. http://shave.com

I rarely see it in a drug store, but there shaving oil makes shaving a breeze, and less irritation. It was about 4 bucks for a little container and gets through security easily. And lasts a long time

Their us sales site is http://www.kmishop.com/

I am a straight shaver too... when I am not sporting a Beard-o-Fury such as I am at present. Badger and Blade is the only way. Trumper's Violet and some Bay Rhum aftershave... makes for a relaxed morning.

Wet shaving has been a lot of fun. I am still going through razors and creams to find what I like. I have use only Derby Extra blades so far. I have a few feathers to pop on the razor in the near future.

I started with a Gilette Slim, but went to a '48 SS. I really like the SS!! I am now give my modified Merkur Progress (Mergress) a whirl. Great shaver with some nice weight. I have an EJ Chatworth next and then I will be thinning the heard.

I still have to decide on creams or soaps. I've enjoyed the creams I've tried, Proraso was cheap and effective. I am going to try some Trumpers Rose soap for the summer. Giddee up!!

I've had a lot of fun getting into wet shaving as well. My EJ Georgian has been a great razor so far, the blade sampler pack I bought off fleaBay taught me Feathers are the only way to shave and my SCAD has abated for now because I'm out of cabinet space. :)

I'm thinking about trying a Merkur Slant Bar or a 39C eventually.

Wet shaving has been a lot of fun. I am still going through razors and creams to find what I like. I have use only Derby Extra blades so far. I have a few feathers to pop on the razor in the near future.

I started with a Gilette Slim, but went to a '48 SS. I really like the SS!! I am now give my modified Merkur Progress (Mergress) a whirl. Great shaver with some nice weight. I have an EJ Chatworth next and then I will be thinning the heard.

I still have to decide on creams or soaps. I've enjoyed the creams I've tried, Proraso was cheap and effective. I am going to try some Trumpers Rose soap for the summer. Giddee up!!

I just started DE Safety razor shaving right after Christmas. Received a Merkur and a whole sampler of blades. So far I've tried the Derby Extra and Merkur Platinum and liked both.

Proraso has been my main cream so far, but I have tried one from The Real Shaving Company. I would like to try some of the other creams or soaps out there, like D.R. Harris, Geo F. Trumper, or Taylor. I just wish I knew what some of the other scents were like... Marlborough, Sea Buckthorn, Bay Rum etc.

Some Feathers, Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap, and Musgo Real After Shave Balsam on the way... :thumbs:

Sounds nice, klipsch. I'm curious about the Mitchell's, myself.

I just ordered a Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle, in green. It should be here within 3-4 weeks. Woot!

Sounds nice, klipsch. I'm curious about the Mitchell's, myself.

I just ordered a Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle, in green. It should be here within 3-4 weeks. Woot!

That Dirty Bird scuttle looks to be right up my alley. Thanks for the link! Fat Boy arrived in the mail today. Beautiful DE and it's older than I am... :thumbs:

Just received my Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle this morning. Thanks for the heads up on Julies site. This looks to be just what I was looking for. I've got a den full of goodies to choose from now. MWF Soap is great. Mama Bear's lathers like crazy and her Rosemary Mint has jumped to the head of the pack as my favorite (I also have her Lime Ice). The Musgo Real Balsam is really a great aftershave, but the Musgo Real Splash is out of this world amazing! I never knew such a product existed. :thumbs:
I picked up some more AOS Lemon Aftershave Balm for cheap money ($19.95), and it's still an all around favorite. I'm still getting used to the weight of the FB, and have been doing "ok" as far as nicks and cuts. I've got an assortment of blades to choose from. So far I've used the Red Persona, Feather and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge. The Feathers are ridiculously sharp and did the most damage with 3 cuts to the throat and 2 to my head, of which one was a small hole... :laugh:
So far...great new hobby! Can't wait for the morning to try the DB scuttle. I'll shut up now, because I posted elsewhere on the board that I was just gonna sit an be quiet for a while. :blush: