• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Skyrim, who else has fallen into the souleating void...

I have been eyeing this game for a while. Should I play Oblivion first or does it matter if I have never played it?

Skip it, you won't miss a thing.

I agree, Oblivion and Skyrim do not follow a select storyline, you don't have to play through the fourth installment to understand the fifth, it's a new story in itself.

Skipping Oblivion makes no sense consider how good of a game it is in its own right. Plus I've found a ton of references to both Oblivion and Morrowind while playing Skyrim. I also suggest playing Morrowind first but that's a bit much for today's "want it now" consoler generation, considering it has for the most part no voice overs and tons of text to read I'm sure you can agree. Also the fact that you can play Morrowind for months without getting to the end is a put off to some. However that is the real reason I decided to fall in love with the game to begin with.

Yeah Jim, regardless of co-op or not I think you'd like Skyrim.

I don't know. The graphics in Oblivion and Morrowind are so outdated, it detracts from the experience at this point (IMO). Also, because of the nature in game play, I am now at the point of saying forget it on the side quests for now, and moving on with the game. At 86 hours in, I'm kind of getting ready to move on. I can't image rolling onto another "similar" game for a while, much less moving onto the next in a series.

Oblivion's graphic are outdated? Seriously? I beg to differ, there isn't much difference between Skyrim and Oblivion at all.

Oblivion's graphic are outdated? Seriously? I beg to differ, there isn't much difference between Skyrim and Oblivion at all.
And you can do the Morroblivion mod to upgrade Morrowind's graphics too

I see little difference between Oblivion and Skyrim. Graphics seem very similar as well.

Really? Well, it's been a while, but I remember Oblivion as boxy and angular compared to Skyrims Fallout 3 texturing style. Not as much shadow, or depth, or something. Could be I've updated my system a few times since then.

Edit:
Roll over this!
http://www.lensoftru...hot-comparison/

Another side-by-side comparison:
http://multi.systeml...comparison.html

Maybe mods make a bigger deal in making the difference not such a big deal?

I played Oblivion right before I played Skyrim and I agree that the graphics are on two completely different levels, Oblivion is indeed very "boxy" and not even remotely as detailed as Skyrim. Lets keep in mind the production time difference and how much graphics advance each year.

The only thing boxy about Oblivion is the NPCs.

You guys are comparing oranges to oranges because both games use the same engine (as does Fallout 3 and Fallout NV). Bethesda tried saying Skyrim was using a whole new engine, but the modding community quickly proved that it was just Marketing Bullshit and that at the core its still Gamebryo (same engine, same bugs at release). The only thing that is really tweaked is the way NPCs look and move. Otherwise its not much difference.

And yes I played Oblivion with all the bells and whistles on and the high res texture mod.

Even though there are a lot of reasons to play Oblivion just one fact that makes playing Oblivion worthwhile:

The Faction quests are better (the same can be said for Morrowind TBH), the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest are amazing compared to Skyrim's and there is a sense of accomplishment to finishing the Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild compared to the "Oh you are our guild leader now, great now fetch me my shoes!" in Skyrim.

NPCs take note when you become something in Oblivion, in Skyrim they treat you at level 50 the same way they treated you at level 1. This is one of my biggest complaints about Skyrim.

Maybe mods make a bigger deal in making the difference not such a big deal?

They make a huge deal.

http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/obliviontextureoverhaul.html

I will however say that the one thing that Skyrim really does well is that every cave has its own look. Oblivion had the problem that they reused location maps over and over and that made crawling on the boring side when it came to caves.

I have Fallout 3 and am playing Fallout NV now, how good is Skyrim, should I buy it?

I just finished the main quest, saved the world blah blah and nobody cares. Just what I was talking about in my long winded post above. Meh.

I have Fallout 3 and am playing Fallout NV now, how good is Skyrim, should I buy it?

I had never played any Skyrim games, and the only Bethesda contact I had was F3. Skyrim is WAY more involved than F3 as far as immersive world. There is no FATS type system, except for when you get an archery perk were time slows down during targeting.

It's definitely a good buy.

Here is a screenshot from a HD pack Oblivion install

obvss01.jpg

And another...

obvss18.jpg

Pretty sure you get the point.

Currently Lvl 43 Mage. Have only done like 3 main storyline quests...i don't even remember which one is the main questline anymore...having too much fun treasure hunting and beasting out my mage skills

How much of a difference is there between the PC version and the 360 one? Or is there any at all? What do you guys prefer? I am more of a 360 guy myself.

Wow. How about Mac? That's what I currently have. How does it compare to PC gaming wise?