• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Suckling Busted...

If I were able to be in Cuba, I'd be smoking anything I could get my hands on from the factories.
Why just the factories?
FWIW, all the "new" and fresh stock was smoking very well during the week of the Festival. The only tough smoke I had was a Sancho Sanchos from the too cold and too wet humidor at the Hotel Nacional.
Some custom Corona Gordas I asked to be rolled for me during the week (actually rolled Feb 25 -I watched) are fantastic. I can only imagine how good they are going to be with 4-5 years of age on them but they are so good now they may not last.

Commander Bob
Keeping all the "gift" cigars for two years. That's firm.

The sad part is Suckling probably doesn't realize he's under investigation. For the next six months on his return flights into the US, DHS wil sit him down for a couple hours and go through his goodie bag. John

What's amusing is someone commented something to the effect of, "if they spent as much time and effort on the war on drugs...". Yeah, that's a good one dumbass. How much effort was really put forth? They asked the guy some routine questions, a whole handful of red flags went up, and they took his cigars.

I can understand the frustration with confiscations, but to make a generalization that "the man" is out to get cigar smokers at the cost of ignoring drug smugglers is just ignorant.

after spending a few year working part-time as a bouncer, you would be surprised how many times i confiscated drugs to people just by asking them during the search

lol I think it is funny, because I just really don't like that guy. Honestly why should he be treated any different when he travels to Cuba then the U.S.A? Perhaps I have a slanted view but the 2 times I met him, he was so arrogant that I had to walk away.
X2. Suckling is an ass.

Doc.

lol I think it is funny, because I just really don't like that guy. Honestly why should he be treated any different when he travels to Cuba then the U.S.A? Perhaps I have a slanted view but the 2 times I met him, he was so arrogant that I had to walk away.
X2. Suckling is an ass.

Doc.

Ok, so I've never met the man and I only know him through his videos on CA.com, but I've never really liked him much from just watching those videos. To me, he just seems completely pretentious. Plus (I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes here!), I find it amazing how he lights his cigars.

I find it amazing how he lights his cigars.
What aspect, specifically?
I was amazed at how the finalists in the cigar somelier contest lit cigars and after some discussion, I'm now lighting my smokes BEFORE I clip them.

Despite my idea that a guy who dresses as inappropriately as Mr. Suckling did for the Distributor Night Gala is less that clued in, he might be revealing some secrets in his cigar technique.

Commander Bob
Liked his Havana videos.

I was amazed at how the finalists in the cigar somelier contest lit cigars and after some discussion, I'm now lighting my smokes BEFORE I clip them.

Despite my idea that a guy who dresses as inappropriately as Mr. Suckling did for the Distributor Night Gala is less that clued in, he might be revealing some secrets in his cigar technique.

Commander Bob
Liked his Havana videos.

He just lights them on fire and then blows out the flame. His method never really sat well with me.

He just lights them on fire and then blows out the flame. His method never really sat well with me.

It's curious to me that so many Cuban cigar people light their cigars that way too -hold up a lighter, puff furiously until a giant bonfire appears at the end of the cigar, then blow out the fire and puff contentedly. Maybe Suckling picked up HIS technique from them.

Also interesting has been the clipping technique practiced by folks I at first thought were just poseurs : putting the cutter flat on the table then standing up the cigar in the hole and cutting. I thought this was for those who couldn't cut off JUST the cap.
Imagine my surprise when TWO of the cutters we received as gifts at the Festival had one side of the cutter hole covered up with a piece of plastic with a logo -essentially forcing you to use the 'table' technique without the table.

I like the way I saw Robaina removing the cap -picking it off with his fingers!

Commander Bob
Learning new things every day. :D

1. Where is Suckling from?

2. Does it really matter how you light or clip a cigar if it smokes right?

James Suckling is from the U.S. of A.
He went to school in Madison -which should tell you a lot right there! :laugh:

Commander Bob
Who bought his Cheesehead in Madison.