• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Survey. To smoke or not to smoke, that is the question.

jaypee

Welcome,

For those of you who viewed my post in the Cigar Lounge, "30 year old Vintage Smoke", you know where this is going. I asked a simple question which was eventually answered via PM. The original question was " Where can I find Info on 30 year old smokes ? " The forum quickly digressed to who cares, smoke em. I don't know how many members have been in the presence of two 30 + year old sealed boxes of Cuban cigars , but it did raise an emotional and philosophical thought worthy of a post.

Would you smoke them ?

Before you answer here is the premise;
They are given to you by a good friend who gets them at an estate sale and immediately thinks of you.
They come to you free of charge.
You receive the package via courier and when you inspect the contents it blows your mind.
The 2 opened boxes and 30 + loose sticks you decide to smoke on appropriate occasions.
But the sealed boxes ?

Your answer;

A yes or no answer is suffice. But a discourse is what I would like to see. Whether judgmental, emotional or philosophical, directed to me or another members reply. If a picture is needed, please go to the following link---
http://mysite.verizon.net/resu43om/id1.html

Please stay on subject here. It's a simple question with complicated conclusions. At least for me.

call me crazy, ignorant or what ever you want but I truly don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Jaypee

If I was in your shoes, YES I would put the fire to them. They would be for special occasions, people, family and or times I would say, but I would turn most of them to ash. If left sealed up who is to say what the condition of the smokes are in ? Just my thoughts. Whatever you do decide, I hope you enjoy them either way!

I, as many on this forum, received cigars from one of the greatest members here who passed away not long ago. I've also received a fiver from his personal collection. I hold these smokes more rare than any other I have as they have great meaning behind them, and I will thoroughly enjoy each and every one as I put fire to them. Cigars my friend, are meant to be smoked. Smoke them and enjoy the moment either alone, peacefully and relaxed, or with friends of whom you want to share the experience.

If they are sealed, you need to open the boxes and check the cigars as all the questions may be for naught. What if they're completely dried out, rotted, or destroyed from beetles?

Smoke them. It's a rare opportunity and one which shouldn't be missed out on. If you sell them, then it'll become a business transaction and people will harass you about their past storage conditions, etc, and will possibly gripe to you incessantly if they are not wowed by each and every cigar. Don't even think of keeping them forever without cracking into them. Cigars are made to eventually be smoked and there are other objects better suited to be souvenirs/heirlooms. My thoughts, anyway.

Easy answer - smoke 'em. All the reasons above are good ones.

Make each one an event; a brief pause in the game of life. An hour to remember the finer things; to recall years past and the era that the cigars came from.

Regards - B.B.S.

I would definitely smoke them, but I would reserve them for special occasions as I'm sure most members here would do. Would it make sense that someone gifted these to you knowing you enjoy cigars, and yoiu aren't enjoying them the way they were intended to be enjoyed?

I was following the previous thread and I think the replies in this thread will echo those in the other thread.

I guess I am probably of a little different opinion then most I see on here. Although I do believe that you should smoke at least some of them, I can also definitely see why you would hesitate to smoke all of them. I do not smoke nearly as many cigars as some on this board, and even though I am young I don't know if there would be enough occasions that I would feel were special enough to celebrate with them.

If it were me, I would probably open one of the boxes to check on the condition as other described, but I think I would leave the second box sealed. I know that cigars were meant to be smoked and my opinion at some point may change, but I also love collecting things and there are many consumable items that people get great satisfaction from just seeing them and appreciating the history of them. Since the quantity of sticks is fairly large (for me) I would also make sure that these smokes were shared with friends, family, or someone who could truly appreciate the history of these cigars.

So.. I think there is one guy out there at least that can appreciate your apprehension about putting them all to flame. At the end of the day, it is your decision on what to do with them, just make sure that you make each one as special as possible.

Smoke 'em. They may be past their prime or coming into a glory few cigars ever achieve. You'll never know which until you do!

Gifts should be enjoyed as intended . . . not hoarded, and never sold.

~Boar

Find a day that isn't filled with drama, doesn't need validation, and smoke one. Then come back and tell how it was ;)

I'll say find a quiet relaxing time pour some nice glass of single malt (McCallen 25) and break the seal. Since this box will be a mystery why not try one and save the remaining (if there are any) for those "extra special" occasions. At least you'll know if it's any good or not. I would hate to find out that the box is bad on that extra special moment... my 2 cents....

Smoke 'em. They may be past their prime or coming into a glory few cigars ever achieve. You'll never know which until you do!

~Boar

I couldn't agree more! If you ever want to share, I know someone who would like to give one a try. ;)

They are just cigars. Who cares if they are still sealed or not, cigars are meant to be smoked eventually. I've smoked some really old cigars including some from the '30/'40s, so I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Like others have said, maybe smoke them on special occasions, but they are still just cigars, not artwork.

Beautiful, I love it. If you want to save them for a special occasion, by yourself or with close friends, so beit. But don't let them go to waste.

I could play devils advocate and say, sure, there's a possibility they wouldn't want you to smoke them. Maybe they actually would have wanted you to save them and sell them later...an investment through which you'll help finance that handmade artisan sailboat they knew you ultimately were saving them for but that's such a dark alley to go down, full of daemons and sirens of all sorts and....kindof implausible in my mind.

~Boar

agree 100% You friend gave them to you because he thought you would enjoy them. How could you unless you smoke them?

When confronted with devilishly difficult questions such as, "Should I or should I not smoke these cigars?" I recommend the following steps:
  • Take all of the bands off the cigars.
  • Throw the cigars away.
  • Light the pile of bands on fire and inhale the smoke deeply.
  • Make clogs out of the now empty boxes.
  • Problem solved.
/sarcasm off

Cigars are for smoking. If you want something to collect and look at buy stamps or a painting or religious iconography in the form of a Cheeto.

/sarcasm really off

Smoke 'em.

- Tim

You're a lucky man! smoke 'm these could be really great smoke's.
(if stored in goood conditions etc etc......)

Rene

Don't smoke them. Hold on to them and sell them.

If done right it's like fine wine, aged vintage purchases can finance future purchases and keep your investment in this enjoyable vice at a minimum.

ROI on something that didn't cost you anything is pretty high, no?

Welcome,

For those of you who viewed my post in the Cigar Lounge, "30 year old Vintage Smoke", you know where this is going. I asked a simple question which was eventually answered via PM. The original question was " Where can I find Info on 30 year old smokes ? " The forum quickly digressed to who cares, smoke em. I don't know how many members have been in the presence of two 30 + year old sealed boxes of Cuban cigars , but it did raise an emotional and philosophical thought worthy of a post.

Would you smoke them ?

Before you answer here is the premise;
They are given to you by a good friend who gets them at an estate sale and immediately thinks of you.
They come to you free of charge.
You receive the package via courier and when you inspect the contents it blows your mind.
The 2 opened boxes and 30 + loose sticks you decide to smoke on appropriate occasions.
But the sealed boxes ?

Your answer;

A yes or no answer is suffice. But a discourse is what I would like to see. Whether judgmental, emotional or philosophical, directed to me or another members reply. If a picture is needed, please go to the following link---
http://mysite.verizon.net/resu43om/id1.html

Please stay on subject here. It's a simple question with complicated conclusions. At least for me.

call me crazy, ignorant or what ever you want but I truly don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Jaypee

It's really simple....they are your cigars to do with what you will.