• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The blind taste test thread

Hrm

I think it will be fine.

We'll see what other ones show up.

For now Shibumi yours will be dubbed "#58a" and junkman yours is "56b."

Be sure to include a physical description of your sticks, people, so I can be sure that what I think happened did indeed happen (can't say more without revealing too much).

I received numbers 14 & 52 today. I am following Lumberg's suggestion for acclimating them in my humidor. This looks like it will be quiet interesting.

Lumberg said:
Hrm

I think it will be fine.

We'll see what other ones show up.

For now Shibumi yours will be dubbed "#58a" and junkman yours is "56b."

Be sure to include a physical description of your sticks, people, so I can be sure that what I think happened did indeed happen (can't say more without revealing too much).
[snapback]214491[/snapback]​

Sounds good. My #58a is 6"x42 or 43.

Edit; I think you meant junkmans was 58b?

I was going to wait a few more days before i cracked them open, but that maduro was looking mighty tempting this afternoon and a hot lazy day in the backyard seemed like a good time to sit down with it and my laptop and give a good review on it....so here goes...

This review is on Cigar #1.

I measured the size out to be 6.3X45. Im not much of a fan of long skinny cigars and usually prefer fatter, stumpier cigars as ive found them to carry more flavor....however, im not shy of free cigars and found this one to be a pleasant smoke. Construction was good...nice and straight cigar and looked to be of a very good quality. Very firm and solid to the touch and gave away very little if at all when gently squeezed between the fingers. The wrapper did seem a little dry, but was still a good bit oily with lots of tooth and a few veins and was consistant in color the entire length of the cigar. The cap construction was not much to look at but clipped easily and cleanly with a double bladed guillotine. Prelight draw was a little heavier than i like but not to the point of having to really work for it, but had a good amount of spice and almost a fruity sweetness. The sweetness continued after lighting although much more subdued. The spiceyness wore off almost immediatly and a ever so slight bitter taste emerged after the first few puffs. The ash was a light/medium shade of grey...very consistant in color all the way through and held on for a good length. The first ash didnt fall off on its own till about the 1.5" mark. Burn was razor sharp through the entire length. As the burn continued on down the bitterness fell off quickly and it turned into a toasty, very mild, fruit and nut like maduro. I could only best describe the taste as almonds...slightly sweet, but nutty. The aroma was light and airy...a bit unusual in my book from such a dark colored cigar. I guess you cant judge a book by its cover because this sucker was VERY mild although looked like a powerhouse cigar with its dark maduro wrapper. Still though, despite its mildness, it had very good flavor.

I didnt nub this cigar as it started to pick back up on the bitterness at about the 1.5 inch mark and i figured i best let it go before i got a taste of something i really didnt like. Overall though, this was a very good smoke...would be an excellent choice for a morning smoke to go with your coffee or in the car on the way to work. I prefer something a little stronger in the afternoons or for an after dinner treat. I rate it on a scale of 1-10 on the following areas...

Construction: 8
Size and Feel: 7
Consistancy: 7
Taste: 8
Burn: 10
Overall Experience: 8

Good solid performer and would recomend them to anyone!

When i smoke the second one, i will update this post with "like" information on it.

Numbers 10 and 37 rec'd today. I will edit soon and include the physical descriptions soon.

I recieved mine this past Friday, but was away for part of the weekend, and having some internet problems. Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I got mine. Will edit later this evening to include what numbers I recieved. (Can't remember off the top of my head.)

Thanks Lumberg!

Edited to add: I got #7 and #51

excellent review Jeffro! This is getting good {rubs hands together}

I just recevied #4 and #45 yesterday. :thumbs:

A day or so in the humi and then I will begin the process.

Ok, here is my 1st review for #58a. It is 6"x42? Panatela, Maybe Maduro.

First off I had a huge meal (Clam Bake) at a local restaurant. After dinner, I smoke an aged, Ashton VSG (round) Belicoso. A gift from a BOTL. Therefore I was a little spoiled that night for the blind cigar review. Not really. I actually enjoyed #58a. Maybe it was the enjoyment of reviewing it.

Anyway, 3 hours after dinner.......I picked #58a from my Coleman and I sat out back with my dog and a diet coke.

This was a very tightly rolled cigar, very nice looking with no noticable flaws. The pre light draw was good after I lopped off the cap. Once the cigar was lit the draw was a whole different story. It was ok, but I had to really work for the smoke. I had to puff at least 3or 4 times just to get a good mouthful of smoke.

The first taste was bitter tobacco with a very slight menthol. After about 1/8" it started to pick up some flavor. I still had to work for the smoke though. The ash on this cigar was the whitest I have seen yet. It was a compact white ash, it reminded me of the truck of a birch tree. When the ash dropped at about 1/2" it hit the ground so hard, you could hear the 'poof'. A very heavy ash for this size cigar. I love that! So far so good. In the beginning the taste was mild and lasted a second in my nose and then changed to nothing. No aftertaste at all, which is a good thing I guess. I don't really want a strong aftertaste like a lot of cigars give. I just wish the flavor lasted a tad longer. I got my wish halfway down. The flavor started to last longer and longer the more I smoked. Kind of upsetting when you’re almost done. The ash was still white till the end and every time I flicked it, it would drop heavily.

Overall this was a good tasting cigar worth maybe $6 to me, due to the flavor. The lack of smoke and the fact that I had to pull so many times to get it is what hurt this cigar IMHO. At the end, before I put it to rest on my stoop, I noticed there was a large buildup of resin and the cap became mushy from it.

Appearance - 9
Construction - 6
Flavor - 8
Burn - 7
Overall Experience – 7+

Thanks Lumberg and stay tuned for my review of # 24, I think it's 7"x50" Churchill, coming soon.

Interesting. Do you mean that there was black tar where the smoke was being filtered on the way to your mouth?

Lumberg said:
Interesting. Do you mean that there was black tar where the smoke was being filtered on the way to your mouth?
[snapback]215929[/snapback]​

Yes sir. Right in the center. Could be from my excessive pulls to get the smoke.

....#35 and #48 arrived here today in good shape. I want to give 'em a little humi time to rest up after their long trip, but I'll commit to getting to them this weekend; first half of next week on the outside.

Looking forward to the smoke - thanks again for the chance to participate... :thumbs:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Pre-smoke
Cigar appeared to be a club size cigar, wrapper was greenish brown and had small chip on it. Pre draw was a little tight. Otherwise the cigar looked fairly well made.

Smoke
Really like the taste of this cigar, very earthy. The only problem I had was that the draw was a little tight and the cigar burned a little uneven. Taste stayed constant through out. Though due to size it got a little hot at the end.

Impressions
Overall I really like this cigar, if the price was right I would buy some more.

#42 is forthcoming

Well, number 57 was calling my name tonight so I decided to put the flame to her. This was a small ring gauge smoke about 6" long. It had a dark wrapper that was free of veins and had a nutty sweet prelight nose. Prelight draw was citrus tasting and the wrapper was very sweet, almost to the point of being flavored. The construction was very tight and well rolled.

I toasted the foot and had it burning nicely in no time. The draw was perfect for me, not too loose, not too tight. The first half inch or so was citrus with hints of nuts. About an inch in the smoke picked up a spiciness. It was boarderline peppery. The nuts remained but the citrus took a back seat. The ash fell off on its own every 1.25" or so. About halfway in the citrus came back and the nutty flavor took a back seat. The smoke stayed cool throughout and the burn was perfect. The finish was almost perfect, not too long, but long enough to realy taste it. I would recomend this cigar to anyone.

Appearance - 9
Construction - 9
Taste - 8.5
Burn - 9
Overall Experience - 8.9

Lumberg, you have to tell me what I just smoked.

Brandon

A review of #55:

At 5 and 7/8 inches long, with an approximate ring gauge of 40, this cigar is not one of my favorite sizes. I selected it to review first because of its smaller size, as I did not have a lot of time. Total time from light to finish: about 45 minutes.

Appearance & Construction: Upon inspection, this cigar had a dark brown wrapper that showed minor veining. The coloration was inconsistent and the double cap was not neatly applied. It felt mostly firm, but had a couple of small areas that felt slightly “spongy”. I used a double guillotine cutter on the head with no problems. Out of a possible 15, I’d give this cigar 9 points for appearance/construction.

Smoking Characteristics: The pre-light draw was tighter than I like, but not bad for a cigar of this length and ring gauge. It lit very easily and initially gave off a lot of smoke at both the foot and the head. After a couple of minutes, though, the draw got tough and I found it took two to three draws to get a mouthful of smoke. This only lasted for the first third of the cigar; after that it really got better and the smoke started flowing easily. The ash was very light – almost white, and hung on for a good 2 inches before dropping off. The ash held its shape upon hitting the ground and I was able to pick it up with my fingers without it collapsing. Very nice. The burn was not razor sharp, but I did not need any touch ups throughout the smoke. Out of a possible 25, I’d give this cigar 22 points – a very nice performance, overall.

Flavor: I like to taste the cap before I light a cigar and this one tasted very sweet. So sweet that I wondered briefly if it was flavored. The sweetness lasted only a few seconds though so I proceeded to cut the cap and light it up. The first third of the cigar was very pleasant, though somewhat milder than I usually prefer. It was smooth, light and had no hint of harshness of bitterness. It got a little bit spicier by the second third, and the smoke left a pleasant tingle on the tip of my tongue. I’d say the second third of the cigar leaned more toward a medium-bodied smoke, and provided more of what I typically enjoy in a cigar. The last couple of inches mellowed back out and tasted more like the first third of the cigar. The overall flavor was pleasant though and I’d rate this cigar as 23 points out of 25.

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the cigar is “not bad”. It did not knock my socks off, but it was a nice, enjoyable smoke. The appearance and draw were not great, but the flavor, burn and amount of smoke it gave off made up for a lot. If you like mild-medium smokes, I’d recommend you give it a try. If you lean more toward maduros and fuller bodied smokes, you might want to try something else. Out of a possible 35, I’m giving this cigar 28 points for its overall impression.

Cigar Aficionado Scale:

Appearance/Construction: 9
Smoking Characteristics: 22
Flavor: 23
Overall Impression: 28

Total Score: 82

Thanks, Lumberg, for the opportunity to review this cigar. I enjoyed it, but I really look forward to the next one!
:)

I smoked a nice cigar today. It was a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Toro.

It was good :thumbs:

Oh, was I not supposed to post here?

Sorry :laugh:

:sign:

Ok, I finally got around to sparking one of these yesterday: #43

Size: Corona (6x43 maybe?)

Construction: Nicely made, a bit veiny. Medium in color. Feel was firm, but not hard. Pre light draw was just right. Pre light taste was mild.

Smoke: Initial taste was offputting. Difficult to place, kind of a rubber taste. Draw tightened as soon as I lit it. Aroma was light with a bit of a dry hay smell (I thought it was pleasant). The smoke was indeed mild and the taste did improve further into the cigar. Burn was fairly even and the ash held for about an inch.

If I were to buy this cigar it would be to take on fishing trips.

Keep the reviews coming guys.

I don't have the list in front of me when I read these at work, so it's kidn of fun for me to guess which ones you're reviewing. I figure that way I will also be less prone to make comments that may give hints as to the identities of the cigars.

That said, I do know the identities of some of the cigars smoked so far, and am eagerly awaiting the smoking of their buddies so some of the REAL fun can start (that is, the identities of the sticks are revealed).

I'm having a blast with this. The anticipation is really intense, and I can't wait to throw out some of these names!

Thanks for those participating, taking care to allow your sticks to readjust in your own humidors, and giving your honest thoughts. Every review I have read on here is good. Those of you who still haven't smoked on could easily use any one of these as a model for yours.

Let's keep the excitement going!