• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The blind taste test thread

This was 5 3/4x48? Construction was nice no veins jumping out at me. The cut was a V cut and the draw was great. The burn was a little off and at the very end it canoed. Last inch and half. I found the tobacco to be a little more toward the medium flavor and to be more toward my liken. It was an enjoyable smoke.

I give this a C+

#9 Possibally a Punch Rothschild (same size, 4.5x50?)

Pre-light: Bouquet had a pleasant smell. Cigar had a good feel, firm but not hard. Construction was good, but a little veiny (also consistent with the regular Punch line). I gave it a punch cut. Draw was perfect.

Smoke: It lit well and burned evenly. Draw remained perfect with lots of yummy smoke. In TX we have pecan trees and it is my favorite wood to BBQ with. The aroma from this cigar reminded me of that smell of burning pecan tree wood.

This cigar was full-bodied with a great taste. Ash was white and held for about 3/4 of an inch.

I would by this cigar anytime. B+ (87-88 by CA standards)

Wrapper – Tan
Construction – Fair, The wrapper seams were very visible and there were many veins
Draw – Perfect
Burn – Even
Smoke Amount – A good amount
Aroma – Faint
Ash Color – Dark Grey
Ash Structure – Solid
Strength – Mild

The cigar started off with a mild sweet flavor. The draw was the way I like, and the amount smoke it produced was a decent amount with a slight earthiness aroma. The last third of the cigar started to pick up a bitter flavor so I discarded it with about an inch to go. I had a large cup of coffee with the cigar and the two went well together. This was a good morning smoke.

Overall I give this cigar a 7

Wrapper – Candela
Construction – Fair, The cigar was very veiny
Draw – A bit lose
Burn – Uneven
Smoke Amount – Good amount
Aroma – Slight
Ash Color – Grey
Ash Structure – Typical
Strength – Medium/Full

This was the first Candela cigar I have ever smoked. The first third had a pepper, and mild sweetness to it. The around the half way point the spice left the cigar but the sweetness remained. But I did start getting some bitterness to it. The last third the flavored died. With about an inch to go a tar flavor emerged and the cigar was done for me at that point.

Overall I give the cigar a 6

Thanks again for letting me take part in this review, it was fun.
Mark

Review of #13

Looks to be about 5 ¼, 45 ring. Medium to light brown

Construction / Appearance: Decent construction to the touch; no hard or soft spots. A slightly toothy wrapper with three pronounced veins running up separate sides; and the wrapping is obvious on this cigar. Cap was decent and didn’t shred when punched. Overall I would give it 6 out of 10

Taste: Using a punch the pre-light draw was nice and smooth (no implosion of the cheeks) For the about first inch there was a mild acidic taste and not much else. Around the inch and half mark the flavor started to pick up with a pleasant and creamy butter toffee flavor. With the last two inches to go the strength picked up a little but through out the entire cigar it was never harsh. The toffee flavor lingered and added some light earthy tones. I finished with about an inch left. I say this cigar would be on the lighter side of medium strength wise. I wouldn’t put this in the upper range of premium cigars but more in the everyday range. For an everyday cigar I give it a 8 out of 10.

Burn: Lighting this cigar was a breeze. Salt and pepper ash that held on for a good inch and a half. Probably would have held longer but the wrapper started to split right at the top of a vein. Needed a minor correction once I got past the vein and burned beautifully from there on out. Each draw produced a good amount of smoke and never got hot. Overall I give this 7 out of 10.

Conclusion: This was a pleasant 45min smoke. Nothing that I would jump up and down about though. Like I said I would throw this into the mix of my everyday smokes. With is mild to medium strength and smooth taste characteristics it would probably make a good morning coffee cigar. So I give it an 8 out of 10 in that class range.

Total: 29 out of 40.

edited for spelling

Gonna smoke #15 over the weekend. It will be the first one in a week so I should not be suffering from cigar burnout when it is smoked.

Been looking at it and smelling the tobacco. Think it's gonna be good. :thumbs:

Here we go, sorry they're late :)

1.jpg

Approx 6" with a 34 gauge. Solid construction with a pleasing woody odor, although in all honesty that was from my humidor. This was my first panatela, so I didn't know what to expect. I tried to put the negative comments I have heard about them out of my head and proceed as an "empty glass". I decided to use a guillotine (double) on this one to maximize my chances for a good draw. The unlit airflow was decent, but below what I am used to from smoking larger sticks. The flavor was what I would characterize as bland. The cigar lit well and smoked relatively even. The only thing I can say for the scant flavor was that it was harsh to me from the start, despite my efforts (successful IMO by the way) to keep it on the cool side. I had to just say "FIDO" to make it through this stick, I felt it was my duty to see if the flavor improved downrange. To my dismay, my fortitude bore no fruit. I would pass on this smoke in the future.

2.jpg

Approx a 5" 42 gauge corona. One noticable vein ran down the barrel towards the cap with a bit of a protruding edge in the wrapper, other than that the construction was fine. I used a punch on this one, the cut was smooth and unlit draw was full and had a medium bite to it. The cigar lit easily and evenly, and the burn was consistent all the way down. The flavor reminded me of a recent Partagas, I found this to be a very pleasant smoke. As a rule I don't like mild or less cigars, this one was just right for an afternoon smoke. If the price was reasonable it would make a great daily driver for someone like me.

Regards, and good smokes/ good friends to all.

Dan

CA Ratings:

Appearance & Construction: OK, this one looked a little better than my last. It had a nice color and measured approx 5.5" long. Approx ring of 45. Had a decent aroma on the outset, but then I noticed the construction. The cap was poorly secured and had a crease on one side that left a gap between the wrapper and the cap. Small, but noticeable. This stick also had at least one good vein in the wrapper. No lifts in the wrapper though. When I punched this one I couldn't even get the cap to cut all the way through it was so loose. I had to dig the scored portion out before lighting. Score: 10 out of 15 possible points.

Flavor: This stick really did nothing to get my attention from start to finish. The flavor was there, but I kept wanting something more and expecting something more complex to show up, but it never happened. I will note that there was no spice and the front or the back and the flavor stayed consistant the whole time. I wish I could describe what the flavor was, but nothing stood out. It was just sort of there. Score: 12 out of 25 points.

Smoking Characteristics: I got a lot of heavy, full bodied smoke of this. It was a very easy draw and I was impressed at how thick the smoke was. It burned evenly the entire time, and I never once had to touch up. It held it's rather white ash for well over an 1" before dropping off. Very nice! Score:24 of 25.

Overall Impression: I hate to say this, but overall this was a rather boring stick. Although the burn was phenomenal, the taste was very simple and hard to place. I did like the consistency of the flavor, I just wish there had been more to it. The construction was lacking, but the smoke, I think, made up for it. I can't say I would recommend this one to anyone but a rookie. I give it 22 out of 35.

Overall Rating: 68

Let me just mention again how cool this all was Lum! I really appreciate the opportunity to participate. I look forward to the next one... :thumbs:

Ok time to reveal another identity:

13 and 14 are padron delicias naturals.

I will be leaving this afternoon to go get married in Chicagoland (where I will be smoking many very special cigars) so probably won't be able to get back to this until Tuesday or so...hopefully we'll have another ten or so reviews to work with.

Lumberg said:
Ok time to reveal another identity:

13 and 14 are padron delicias naturals.

I will be leaving this afternoon to go get married in Chicagoland (where I will be smoking many very special cigars) so probably won't be able to get back to this until Tuesday or so...hopefully we'll have another ten or so reviews to work with.
[snapback]220552[/snapback]​

Good luck and congrats!

Mazel Tov!! No wait......DON'T DO IT!!!!! Just kidding, remember to stop and smell the roses because the wedding always goes by fast.

Edit: BTW, I smoked #24 last night (much better than the first) and will post my review sometime tonight or tomorrow.

My review of #15 as follows:

Shape...Petit corona

Appearance...Chocolate brown wrapper with small veins. It felt heavy. Seemed to be well rolled.

Construction...Very well made, semi box pressed. It had a flat cap and well formed foot. It was firm, well packed, with no hard or soft spots. The only flaw I noticed was a small rough spot on the wrapper.

Burn...Even all the way. Never had to fix it. It never got hot. It remained cool all the way to the end.

Ash...Started out white and turned grayish white as it progressed. The first ash lasted almost an inch. It became flaky as I got into it.

Draw...Just firm enough. Not too loose or tight.

Taste...The prelight draw had a salty musty flavor. I lit it up and tasted pepper immediately. As it progressed it became spicy sweet flavored. It turned earthy and strong on the last inch.

Overall...This is one good cigar. If priced right it would land a spot in my humi. I nubbed it out. It gave me 45 minutes of smoking pleasure. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this one is of Nicaruguan linage...Maybe a Padron.

#24 7 x 54 ?

This was a Big-ass cigar. Nice dark wrapper with a few noticeable veins. It had a double cap and a nice tight construction, almost like the Edge Toro. This was a very well made cigar. I cut the top cap off and it gave me a nice clear pre-light draw. The wrapper had a spicy bitter taste. Once lit, the cigar took on the same spicy bitter flavor. Not an Edge Toro for sure. It held this way for the first inch and a half along with the ash. The ash was a tight medium grey color, but not as tight as the fist smoke I reviewed. It was also light weight. The ash dropped at about 1 1/2" mark.

The cigar had a medium aftertaste that didn’t last too long. The finish was of tobacco but dotted here and there with sweet floral flavor after the first half. I thought it could have used more of the floral flavor throughout, but It was really nice when that would kick in. I never can taste the specific food flavors others taste when they smoke. This was a medium to full body smoke and towards the end it became very spicy on the tongue and then actually started to burn my tongue. All in all a good long smoke with a nice even burn the entire way, confirming my comment about construction. I would smoke this again if it was under $8. It might have even been better with some age.

Appearance - 9
Construction - 9
Flavor – 7+
Burn – 8
Overall Experience – 8+

Congrats on the marriage Lumberg and thanks for the smokes. I'm anxious to know what they where. :D

REVIEW for #45

Another lonsdale for me here but this time with a natural wrapper.

Given the appearance and pre-light aroma I would not be suprised if this was the same brand as the #4 that I had earlier. This stick was lumpy and had veins, although not as pronouced as #4. The aroma was not as nice as #4 possibly because this was a natural and #4 was a maduro. Pre-light draw was average - not too loose not too tight.

Upon lighting I was unimpressed. Flavor was similar to buring grass or staw. Not good. Doing my duty I continued to trudge through this one. Smoke volume was thin and generally poor tasting. It did not improve as I smoked it to about 2/3 down. With that I had to put it out of its misery.

I was very disappointed with this one and would not buy this. Given my opinion that one cannot judge a cigar after only one try . . . I would smoke one if one was given to me.

This one gets a failing grade of 68 (or lower) :( :0

Review of #2

This 'gar is a 6x44 gage maduro Lonsdale. Very firm with only one slight vein visible for about half way down. The prelight aroma is very familiar and seems like something I've had a number of before. Earthy and choclate even before lighting.

After a clip the cigar lit very eaily and evenly. The draw was OK but produced a little less smoke then I was expecting. The pre-light flavor matched the lit flavor, earthinss and chocolate with very little spice. This continud until about half way down when the spiciness came up a notch or two. The ash was firm and remained on the stick utill almost 2" when I knocked it off. There were no burn problems at all, straight and even all the way down.

Overall this was a pretty good stick, one that I would buy. It didn't seem to be a "premium" but I liked it. I wish I could remember what this reminds me of.

Cigar #16

Color is deep brown in color, Length is between 5 & 6", and cigar has a rounded rectangle look to the cross section. Smells very nice, looks very nice. The wrapper is shiny and smooth, with 3 small noticable veins. One very clean, single cap sits at the very end of the cigar.

I punched it and the prelight draw was a little tight, I almost got out the cutters, but decided against it.

Smoking - wonder, full flavors. Smoke was not too strong, but plenty and ample. Smoke is cool and plentiful. The draw was not a problem at all. I am anticipating burn problems... a small cigar that tastes this good will be tough to put down. Smoke does not seem spicy, yet is strong enough to numb the top of my tongue. Ash is light gray with some small splotches of black. Ash appears very firm and is now holding on nicely.

At 1" the burn got a little uneven, so I took a good puff and set it down to rest for a minute or so. Cigar also got a bit stronger. The smoke from the cigar has a very nice smell.

Construction: 9.6
Size and Feel: 9.2
Consistancy: 8.5
Taste: 8.4
Burn: 8.0
Overall: 8.4/10

Very very nice cigar, and a great smoking experience. I have a pretty good idea of what this cigar is, but I'd like to know what the size is.

i smoked # 29 last night. by my guesses, it was 5" x 48. connecticutt shade wrapper. construction was great. very few shallow veins. prelight arouma was very creamy. draw was just right. it burned even all the way down the nub. the flavor was creamy and smooth. mild-medium bodied. on CA scale, i give it a 85

Review of Cigar #51

Didn’t have access to a camera or a tape measure or anything while smoking these cigars, so my best guess is that it was 38-40 ring gauge and about 6” long. I think that may be either a Lonsdale or a pantela. Not really sure. (Still learnin’, I’m a noob afterall!)

This is my first review ever so bear with me and be gentle. I sat down with a bottle of Magic Hat “Blind Faith” and a pad and pen and started jotting stuff down. Now I have to try to make sense of it.

Pre-burn draw was a bit tight. Firm but forgiving to the touch. OK wrapper, not overly veiny, but had a really sloppy cap.

Right after lighting it, it was pretty mild, with a slight taste of citrus (?) and was a tiny bit bitter. The ash was nice and pretty white and the burn was almost perfectly even from start to finish. Had a tough time getting big mouthfuls of smoke. Took a lot of work and even at that, the smoke had an “airy”/dry quality to it (if that makes any sense.)

The last half of the cigar: The flavor got a bit more pronounced (still a citrus base I think, but I’m not good at giving a name to what I taste in cigars) but the bitterness remained. I guess the fact that the taste was consistent could be considered a good thing, but I like when cigars change flavor as you are smoking them.

Overall Impressions:
I would possibly smoke this cigar again, but wouldn’t run out to buy one anytime soon.

It could have been that I had a semi strong (hoppy) flavored beer that affected the taste of this cigar, but I think my main problem was that I’m just not a fan of this size cigar. As far as the taste goes, I’ve never had a “citrusy” flavor in a cigar so that was kinda interesting I guess, but I still prefer a creamier/meatier textured smoke in a cigar. The kind that fills your mouth and smacks you in the face with flavors that change throughout the entire cigar.

Thanks lumberg!

Review of Cigar #7

Smoke the night after I smoked #51.
Same setting, but this time with a Magic Hat “#9” (Bad-ass beer by the way. Quite different.)

OK, so this was a torpedo shaped cigar. Maybe 50 ring by 5.5”??? Just a guess.

When I got this cigar, the wrapper was severely damaged (probably from unbanding it, oh well, it happens.) No worries, still happy to give it my best shot.

Pre-burn draw was fine, but left a bit of “grit” in my mouth (if that makes any sense.) Not very oily, almost a little dry, but very smooth and not too veiny or toothy.

1st 1/3- Mild, dry smoke. Slightly uneven burn, but that may have been due to my lighting it sloppily. After about ½” or so, the flavor built up a bit more, but still mild-medium flavored. White ash, was lost about ¾” into it. Flavor was somewhat earthy or woody or something. Again, I’m not good at placing a name on what I taste. Maybe someday though, I’m working on it!

2nd 1/3- Good draw and a nice amount of smoke (which was surprising if you could have seen the wrapper!) There was a grassy, almost metallic taste to it, but still didn’t taste like a bad cigar.

The last 1/3- Got slightly bitter a more metallic in flavor but soon faded as it got closer to the end. In the end, I ended up having to pull almost all of the rest of the wrapper off as it was flapping around while I was trying to smoke it. Last 1” tasted slightly of chocolate but hard to smoke much more as the wrapper kept giving me problems.

Overall Impressions:
Aroma was great, and the burn evened out. Ignoring the wrapper damage, it wasn’t a bad cigar. It definitely seemed like it was starting to turn a bit more interesting at the end. Just close enough to the end to piss you off and wish you had more cigar to smoke. Wish that it didn’t take so long to open up. Not a bad cigar, but not a knock your socks off cigar either. Maybe something was off since the wrapper was kinda messed up. Maybe flavor would have been completely different. Would definitely like to try this cigar again and see what it tastes like when it is in better condition.

I think that’s it for now. Thanks for giving me a chance to write up my first review Lumberg! Great idea, and thanks for your generosity! Can’t wait to see what it was that I actually smoked!

Back