• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Great Smoked Salmon Faceoff!

Hillbilly Steaks said:
that is just nuts man.
[snapback]286563[/snapback]​

Ha! You think THAT is nuts?!?!, No, nuts is the people that actually wear harnesses, tie themsleves off to something, and rappel down the steep side with their nets to get into an area that no one else is in to fish! THAT is nuts... it's a pain to get the fish out and tie them off onto a stringer, but there are people that do it! Usually it's beacuse that area they will be in has a larger amount of fish to be caught quickly... but me, I absolutely LOVE that area, and it's a 4 day trip for me. One of fishing, and the rest to relax, ride my ATV around, drink some beer and enjoy a number of fine seegars! :cool:

I've had Copper River Salmon once in my life and it was a memorable treat. Waiter recommended it, said they only get it one week out of the year, and when it's gone, it's gone.

Sounds like a great trip Swissy.

Swissy said:
Ha! You think THAT is nuts?!?!, No, nuts is the people that actually wear harnesses, tie themsleves off to something, and rappel down the steep side with their nets to get into an area that no one else is in to fish! THAT is nuts...
[snapback]286565[/snapback]​
Yup, and some of them die.

And David, this has got to be a world record mooch if I've ever seen one! LMFAO!!

LMFAO!!! no moochinig here but since my puppies don't have any treats coming their way I figured .... OH SNAP !!!! LMFAO again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Antbody have a buddy at the Food Network that could film this?

Now this isn't a bad idea at all ... :whistling:

:cool:

This sounds soooo cool! :cool: I'd like the chance to judge this! I'll throw in a 5'er of some premiums as well for the winner! When are you going to hold the tasting David?

NorCalCigarLover said:
The gauntlet has been thrown down and Hillbilly Steaks is up for the challenge. A smoked salmon faceoff between and our Alaskan BOTL Swissy and our North Carolina brother Hillbilly Steaks.

The challenge was issued by yours trully in the Opus X thread and Hillbilly jumped at the opportunity, Swissy is no where to be seen as of yet :whistling: . NCCL volunteered as the official judge and offered up a bottle of one of Californias finest bottles of Pinot Noir as a prize. The excitement of a tasteoff spread quickly and ffopusxff offered up 2 Opus X cigars to sweeten the pot. Quickly followed by smokelaw1's ISOM mystery two-pack :0 .

Since there is no way I can make this a "one judge" contest I'll invite 4 other BOTL's in the area, for a total of five judges, to join me as official taste judges. We'll be pairing the smoked salmon with a CA Pinot described as ...

There is a lot to admire about this wine -- the gorgeous nose; the richness, opulence, and purity of the fruit (veering more blue/black than red); the complexity and secondary characteristics (cola, chocolate, and baking spices); the silky mouthfeel; and the balance and precision it deomonstrates from sniff to slurp to finish. Highly recommended.

I'll keep a running list of the prizes if anybody else want to help sweeten the pot even more:

1. A bottle of one of Californias finest Pinot Noir's (NCCL)
2. 2 Opus X (ffopusxff)
3. ISOM mystery two-pack (smokelaw1)
4. 2 858 SG (hudsonvalley)
5. 5'er of Premiums (KayakinBoy)

[snapback]286499[/snapback]​

This is so CP just one great showdown I can't wait to see the results. I only wish I could be one of the esteemed judges :cool:

You guys can count on me to throw a PAM 2 pack (1964 & 1926) for the showdown ;)

wow. things sare heating up for sure.

after the contest, do i hear Copper River Herf &Fishing ;)

Jim, how do you fish that river--would bucktails and jigs work?

Uh, if you re-read my post...the ISOM 2 pack for the winner was if I was a judge.

Just kidding. Good luck gents. And Swissy, when is the 4 day fishing, beer, ATV riding, lets all head North to AK, CP herf?
That sounds AMAZING!

And HbS, or Swissy for that matter, do either of you intend to offer your salmon for sale after the contest? Because I really would love to give them both a try.

awliuo said:
This sounds soooo cool!  :cool:  I'd like the chance to judge this!  I'll throw in a 5'er of some premiums as well for the winner!  When are you going to hold the tasting David?
[snapback]286608[/snapback]​

You are in :thumbs: , that's two of us. We're going to keep the timeline pretty fluid right now but I'll keep you posted.

If we don't get others from CP I'm headed outside for the judging panel. I know a couple of Chefs, Winemakers and other foodies that we can get to judge this event. Perhaps we'll even hold the judging at a friends winery.

Had the pleasure of a Copper River Salmon dinner several years ago, as a friend brought us back a couple of filets. You judges are in for a real treat, just wished I lived close enough to apply to be one.

But seeing that these are large filets, seems appropriate that a couple of large smokes should be in the mix.

1 - LGC Serie R Limitada Natural 2004
1- La Flor Dominicana Factory Press

Should I send these to NorCalCigarLover, or wait until a winner is declared and send them to him?

BTW - will happily sample the loser's entry!! <--- Blatant Mooch!!

I prefer my smoked salmon straight from Point Loma Seafood in San Diego. :)

Oh should have added that I bet this is going to be good too. :) Make sure youse guys get the white salmon. Tastes pretty close to the same to me, but it's more fun to eat the white meat. :sign:

If any one else would like to try the Copper River Reds send me a PM. I have a couple of filets that could use a new home.

Ken

fireguy said:
If any one else would like to try the Copper River Reds send me a PM. I have a couple of filets that could use a new home.

Ken
[snapback]287041[/snapback]​

This is one very nice play fireguy :thumbs: :thumbs:

Swissy, do you have this guys address? :whistling:

Hilly Billy Boy!

EO 917 512 581 US - fish is swimming your way. I'll most likely be thawed when you get it so refrigerate o smoke it ASAP!

You'll get a kick outta the box as well! :laugh: re-using one you'll cringe at I think...

awesome!~ I've got some Ribs ready to go your way as well. I'll send them out monday morning to avoid sunday.

Thanks man!
E

Gents, when shall we aim for??

David, when can you assemble your 'tasting team'? this coming weekend, the 17th or 18th?

Erick, what works for you- how long will you want to brine, smoke and deliver your fish?

Me, I can sent tomorrow wih some frozen stuff already smoked or have fresh smoked ready for next weeken - either is worthy of winning :cool: