• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Great Smoked Salmon Faceoff!

This is so cool. Thanks for hosting this event David, and everyone else that donated prizes for swissy when he wins. :laugh:

Win or lose it really is just fun. I'm sure it will be really rough on you guys judging as well.

Hillbilly Steaks said:
Swissy said:
what... you drop your salmon on the floor? what's with all the sprinkles... gotta jazz up your fish or sumthin'?

:laugh: :laugh:

Looks tasty... I was right- judges are in for a treat
[snapback]288565[/snapback]​

LMAO...smart ass!

A little Fresh Ground Black Pepper. I actually did a lot research on "the correct way" to do this...but in the end, I said screw it and just did it my way.
[snapback]288569[/snapback]​

LMFAO!
Y'know, that's the BEST way to do it... I could send a massive amount of info on what the 'experts' say to do... how to brine, how long to smoke, at what temp, which wood, etc... but it boils down to ONE thing, and ONE thing ONLY.

what do YOU like? I have my recipe just the way my wife and I like it. No one else may like it, but screw 'em! :laugh: Normally I only smoke fish for us, and a few select friends

'cept of course you and your judges David! :laugh:

Sounds like a heck of an event this has turned into... pics would be most welcome!

EDIT: thought I'd toss this in for anyone that has not seen it... my previous smoke job

What a bunch of insensitive pricks we have on this board - I'm sending a Padron 1926 #9 maddie to the LOSER!

;)

IgwanaRob said:
What a bunch of insensitive pricks we have on this board - I'm sending a Padron 1926 #9 maddie to the LOSER!

;)
[snapback]288677[/snapback]​

LOL !!! I'm adding you to the winnings, uh, err, losing pool.

:cool:

SOOOO, I've got a question for the Judging panel. We have yet to question your credibility as judges, but what in fact makes you guys worthy of such tasty treats that are headed your way??? :whistling:

What kind of things are you guys going to base your decision on? Texture???? Presentation??? Moisture Content??? Flavor???

hahah, just thought I'd turn this the other way and bust yer balls a bit.

:laugh:

Hillbilly Steaks said:
SOOOO, I've got a question for the Judging panel. We have yet to question your credibility as judges, but what in fact makes you guys worthy of such tasty treats that are headed your way??? :whistling:

What kind of things are you guys going to base your decision on? Texture???? Presentation??? Moisture Content??? Flavor???

hahah, just thought I'd turn this the other way and bust yer balls a bit.

[snapback]288690[/snapback]​

You'll need to wait for the judging panel to assemble before I can pose your question of credibility. But to tell you the truth, after a few bottles of wine I'm sure they'll more likely "show" you their credentials :laugh:

In putting together a score sheet now, I know we won't be judging on presentation. I think we'll be concentrating on pure taste.

:cool:

Swissy said:
what... you drop your salmon on the floor? what's with all the sprinkles... gotta jazz up your fish or sumthin'?

:laugh: :laugh:

Looks tasty... I was right- judges are in for a treat
[snapback]288565[/snapback]​

LMAO! poor hillbilly doesn't know what he's up aganist... Jim's got great fish... ;) :thumbs:

Ahhhh....
I love the smell of Alder Smoke in the morning....

You guys are smoking the food, I am smoking an Opus.....OOOOOps this was my last Opus. I have been smoking them while I read this thread and I smoked up the last 2 I was to send the winner. Maybe I will get some more before this is over :):):):):):):):)

Looks too juicy to have been smoked. Basicly looks like my broiled salmon. DAMN GOOD!

IMG_0760.jpg

Ah yes... a smoked Porter, a '01 Trini Fundadores and a smoker full of salmon and alder smoke...

LIFE IS GOOD!

ffopusxff said:
Looks like the only way to do it in Alaska, roughing it.:)
[snapback]289268[/snapback]​

roughing it... :laugh: :laugh: : :thumbs:

Swissy said:
IMG_0760.jpg

Ah yes... a smoked Porter, a '01 Trini Fundadores and a smoker full of salmon and alder smoke...

LIFE IS GOOD!
[snapback]289267[/snapback]​

He looks soooooooo unhappy sitting there :p :p :p somebody needs to cheer him up. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Okay... 11:30 pm and I'm done. I took a little different route than HillyBilly did... I went more traditional smoke with my fish. In truth, this is a slight variation on my normal recipe. Someone gave me a new one to try, which was very close to my own, and I've wanted to try it for some time now. With this contest starting up, I figured what the heck! What better way to get a few different peoples opinions on it! 'course, HillyBilly may have just got some great smokes from my choice of flavors to submit, but what the hey! Life's an adventure... :thumbs:

IMG_0761.jpg

sorry for the slightly blurry pic.. I've had a few beers and it's late - I didn't want to take a lot of time with the pic and wake up the wifely unit or she'd be :angry:

Nice work swissy, it looks like you were enjoying yourself.

So did you leave the skin on the bottom side? That was something I really debated on, but in the end I decided to leave it on there. A lot of oils in that skin and I didn't want to take that away from the meat.

very nice... they have a fish smoker at a place where they supply lake perch. they also smoke trout, which is the only smoked fish i have tried smoked, and it was awesome! very nice presentation Swissy! :thumbs:

Ed