• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Musical Cheese Pass

OK, so it looks like all is well with my puts/takes but I forgot to select a cheese....lets see..... I think I'll choose the Dubliner!

I still need to add some stuff to the drive and repack everything. I'm hoping to hand this off to Putz this weekend.

Greg - Thank you and I am honored by your participation. Enjoy the new Home. At least you found your cigars. :thumbs:

Wilkey, thank you for the kudos, but honestly it is mostly due to all of the participating BOTL's flexibility & generosity! :D
Although I do like to move projects (passes) forward. ;) I need to catch up on my prize pack mailings. ??? and CheesUcation is about to launch.

All the CheesUcation that is needed at this point is all the "yummy" is gone! Not that I am complaining or anything like that...........

CheesUcation!
Topic #1: What makes cheese "yummy"
Pesented by: Professor Putz
Assignment - Charlie, could we please get a brief (or lengthy) essay on what makes a cheese "yummy" in YOUR opinion.
??? :D This will be for everyone's Cheddafication!

Hey! Thanks Jeff for the opportunity to share!

I will keep this brief. Or as brief as a "Wilkey Dissertation"! :sign: I actually have condensed it from what it originally was (thus my time from challenge to post). This IS the Cliff Note version.

Milk + bacterial culture + rennet = yummy
Milk + bacterial culture + rennet + mold = yummy x2
Milk + bacterial culture + rennet + mold + time = SUPER YUMMY CHEESE!!! (The younger the cheese is the less flavor it will impart)

Much like wine or cigars cheese preference is subjective to an individual's taste. Some like strong flavored and some like milder flavors. It could be determined by what you are pairing with it with white or red wine, jellies or jams, hard meats such as salami and other or using as a compliment to a salad, melting over a steak, etc.

I personally enjoy stinky, strong, pungent cheeses. I love eating raw milk cheeses that have aged over 60 days (legal in the US) unlike the pasteurized alternative.

Here are some simple pointers when approaching cheese:

1. Cheese is a living breathing substance.
2. Find yourself a good cheesemonger.
3. You can judge a cheese by it's exterior (rind or crust).
4. The younger the cheese the less flavor it will impart .
5. Cheese should be cut fresh, avoid prepackaged.
6. The edibility of a cheese's rind or crust is taste and common sense.
7. Cheese should be stored in the refrigerator as close to the bottom as possible.
8. The harder the cheese, the longer it will stay fresh.
9. Cheese suffers enormously from being frozen.
10. Cheese must be brought to room temperature before serving.
11. When serving two or more cheeses, select cheeses of divergent milks (cow, goat, sheep, etc.), textures, and flavor intensities without regard for shape, color or origin.
12. Serious cheese requires serious bread.
13. Choosing wine to serve with the cheese is not something to get worked up about. Cheese is partnered best with the wine produced from the same region.
14. A great cheese will make an average wine seem greater than it is and an average cheese will drag down a great wine.
15. In recipes cheese should be added at the end.
16. Best cheeses come from animals that graze on organic grasses, flowers, plants
17. Best cheese accompaniments are fruit, olives & nuts
18. Best appetizer cheeses are fresh chevres
19. Best dessert cheeses are washed rinds & blues
20. Best way to eat a flight of cheese is on order of strength, from mild to wild
21. Best way to taste hard, sharp cheeses is with the tip of the tongue
22. Best way to taste softer & blue cheese is pressed to the roof of the mouth

How much to buy:

* Typical cheese serving = 3 ounces per person
6 guests x 3 ounces = 18 ounces / 16 ounces per lb = 1.125 pounds needed
* 1 ounce ungrated cheese = 1/4 cup grated cheese
* 2 ounces ungrated cheese = 1/2 cup grated cheese
* 4 ounces (1/4 lb) ungrated cheese = 1 cup grated cheese
* 8 ounces (1/2 lb) ungrated cheese = 2 cups grated cheese
* 16 ounces (1 lb) ungrated cheese = 4 cups grated cheese

Types of cheeses and suggested pairings:

* Fresh - uncooked, unripened curds which are usually mild & moist (curds, ricotta, stracchino) - try sweet wines, dry wines, roses
* Bloomy Rind - surface is exposed to molds that make them ripen inward & become creamy (brie, camembert, saint andre) - try medium reds, ciders
* Washed Rind - washed or brushed with salt-water brine, wine or beer to promote sticky rind with “stinky” quality (epoisses, munster, red hawk) - try dry white wines, beers & ales, full-bodied reds
* Natural Rind - self-made rind with an appearance of lichen-covered rock (stilton, ossau-iraty, castelrosso)
* Uncooked/Pressed - curds are not cooked, and whey is removed by pressing (saint nectaire, port salut, tome de savoie) - try medium reds
* Cooked/Pressed - curds are cooked until solidified, then pressed (parmigiano, gruyere, gouda) - try fruity whites, full-bodied reds
* Semi-Hard/Hard - cooked and pressed, with our without rinds, then aged usually 1-2 years (cheddar, emmenthaller, gouda) - try spicy & racy reds
* Blue - infused with penicillin mold spores, then aged in caves or cellars (gorgonzola, roquefort) - try sweet wines, port, light

--------->LIST OF CHEESES<--------------

My best experience with cheese was dinning at Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence, Italy where the new wifely unit and I and survived eight courses and 4 hours of dining followed by a cigar in the cigar lounge! One of the courses was a cheese plate just before the desert course! :thumbs:

Charlie, I'm impressed and thankful! Very succinct, very informative.
Folks, Lesson One is up and the floor is open for questions -

2277858627_5e95ed3fbf.jpg

Well gents, the pass is now safely in the hands of Putz Mulligan. We had a great time last night herfing at Stinkis' place and I handed off the package to that rotten, no good, stinkin Gnat fan (actually he's not a bad guy for a Gnat fan). Thanks again for letting me join you guys on this pass. I'll never look at cheese the same way again! :cool:

Glad to see the handoff went well! Charley, I'm honored by your participation and impressed by your P&Ts. :)

The pass IS in the safe and capable hands of a Giants fan. I will inventory and post P&T's later today and hopefully get this back on the road tomorrow.

Fantastic article, Charlie! Truly well done!

Now, I've got a question for you...can you pair any cheese with oysters on the half shell and sancerre?

Wilkey

Fantastic article, Charlie! Truly well done!

Now, I've got a question for you...can you pair any cheese with oysters on the half shell and sancerre?

Wilkey

Wilkey-san

I would humbly suggest Grana Padano. It's hard texture and ever so slightly salty aftertaste pair well with a nice flinty Sancerre and fresh Washington State Oysters. :) damn now I want some oysters, cheese, & wine. :thumbs:

I have inventoried and inspected each cigar and all looks good. Aside from the obvious condensation on the ice packs everything is in fine shape! I have signed the ball after searching and utilizing my jeweler's loupes to find a spot to do so!

Takes:

#18: George Rico GR Specials Toro
#33: Kinky Friedman The Governor
#36: La Aurora "No Jodas Con Texas"
#41: Los Blancos Criollo Robusto
#137: AF WOAM
#146: Oliva Special S Toro

Puts:

#166: Gispert Churchill
#167: Ashton Cabinet Series No. 3
#168: Padilla Signature 1932 Torpedo
#169: Zino Mouton Cadet Double Corona
#170: La Riqueza #2 Belicoso
#171: LFD DL Lancero
#172: Island Prince Luana Iki Light
#173: Island Prince Momona Dark

I will await the jury's decision and hopefully get this packed and off today. Otherwise we are looking at Wednesday as a departure date.

Thanks to Jeff for hosting!

P.S. I have PM'd my cheese choice and I must say................sorry David and anyone else to follow! :sign:

No one is approving or disapproving my P&T's except Brian?! Was it something I ate? I didn't "cut" the cheese! :laugh:

Bueller? Bueller? ???

I've not heard of #36 but if Charlie thinks it's good for #168, then I'm inclined to go there.

Fuente-philes, is the WOAM good for the La Riqueza? Certainly on MSRP it is.

Otherwise, all seems good.

Lucky are the fellows with a chance to take the Island Princes. :thumbs:

Wilkey

No one is approving or disapproving my P&T's except Brian?! Was it something I ate? I didn't "cut" the cheese! :laugh:

Bueller? Bueller? ???

I'm good with your P&Ts Bro. Sorry I didn't say so earlier. Very generous of you as usual Charlie! I'am truly honored by your participation and contributions to the pass. Thank you! :D

Wilkey - as for the La Aurora "No Jodas Con Texas" it was specially made for the Texas market and his Put is plus for the MSRP. Very nice cigar in the $10-12 range.

I keep PM everyone from the pass that we have P&Ts and the same voices respond, thank you, but we need everyone invloved.... let's go guys. ;)

PS - There are a few out there that need to send me their music.... tick, tock Gents.... :cool:

I think the puts and takes are ok....It's Charlie I don't know about. :laugh:

These look great! Wilkey is right those Islands are pretty damn good smokes.

Jim

Heads up David!

DC# 0308 0070 0001 9165 2284

Thanks for inviting me to participate Jeff!