• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats in your glass right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he didn't say Macallen 18.

Yeah, I tried the Macallen 12 and I am not a big fan. Its a little "harsh" for me. I keep trying different scotches and I don't think I am the kind of person that likes them straight. I will keep trying new stuff, but as of right now I have it and I guess I'll mix it until its gone. I will however try a few more times on ice because it took a little of the edge off last time.

In one glass? Might as well use Dewar's or Cutty or something else equivalent.

Macallen 12 and gingerale

Yeah, I tried the Macallen 12 and I am not a big fan. Its a little "harsh" for me. I keep trying different scotches and I don't think I am the kind of person that likes them straight. I will keep trying new stuff, but as of right now I have it and I guess I'll mix it until its gone. I will however try a few more times on ice because it took a little of the edge off last time.

The Macallen 12yo has become my regular goto scotch...love it.

Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood poured through a Vinturi. Dangerously smooth going down.

Interesting...never heard of running scotch through a Vinturi...may have to give it a try. Does wonders for wine.

Last night opened a bottle of PVW 20yo, WOW!

Gotta find me some Pappy20...would even settle for the Pappy12. Amazed that I don't come across it in NYC.

My initial impresssions of the PVW 20 I was not blown away. Don't get me wrong it is a damn fine bourbon but, I was not blown away by a transcendental experience. I did revisit the bottle after being open for about 6 weeks and it had improved and I got a little feeling of what has everyone raving about.

Last night revisited an old friend. Laphroaig QC. An oldy but a goodie.

My initial impresssions of the PVW 20 I was not blown away. Don't get me wrong it is a damn fine bourbon but, I was not blown away by a transcendental experience. I did revisit the bottle after being open for about 6 weeks and it had improved and I got a little feeling of what has everyone raving about.

We'll just pretend you didn't say that :D

A little water might take some of the edge off too. I've been trying to drink everything neat since I dived back into spirits but I've also tossed in a nugget of ice(before whiskey stones came into my life) or a bit of water in to see what difference they made. It really seems to depend on the bottle.
At a freebie Macallan event I attended they were offering up the 12yo with ginger ale and I have to admit it was tasty. I don't think I would've tried it that way on my own.

Hell, that's like putting Catsup on Kobe Beef! :laugh:

Just picked up a bottle of Cragganmore 12. Time to see what this is all about.

Old Forester bourbon. Damn good and highly sippable for the price . . . this and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve are my "house bourbons."

But I have a bottle of Glendronach 1995 Pedro Jimenez on hold at my local, and a bottle of Benriach Solstice coming from AVB. Scotch days will be here again soon!

~Boar

Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood poured through a Vinturi. Dangerously smooth going down.

DO you notice benefit from the venturi? I have one and it works pretty well accelerating and opening up wine. I keep forgetting to give it a go on some of my spirits.

Yes we did. I brought the bottle to our weekly HERF. Several of us are into scotches as well. A few were skeptical about ruining a nice scotch by running it through 'that thing'. A few drams later, all were sold on it. Vinturi sells a different one for spirits. It has a gradiated reservoir and a magnetic release valve, so you can measure out your drink instead of just pouring straight through like with the wine versions.

Last week we used it on a couple bourbons.

Didn't you feel more or less the same about Laphroaig Triple Wood when you first opened the bottle?

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year Old

Just picked this up today and tried it for the first time...amazing

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year Old

Just picked this up today and tried it for the first time...amazing

While Ron Zacapa, Zaya, etc are good, if you get a chance, try an Appleton (12 YO), El Dorado (12 YO), or RL Seales (10 YO) rum.

Friday night, Pritchard's and Vintage 17. Saturday night, a couple of Woodfords then tried some Zaya for the first time. That is a really fine tasting rum. Several glasses sipped neat with a Punch Punch. Damned good!

Signatory 31 yo Teaninich, distilled in 1965, bottled in 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.