• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats in your glass right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you'd be trying something else. ;)

Maker's Mark. And amazingly I have yet to find any bourbon that I enjoy more, but I continue to look.

Maker's Mark. And amazingly I have yet to find any bourbon that I enjoy more, but I continue to look.

You haven't tried Rock Hills farm yet have you?

No, I have not. I did just find a pretty good video comparison which included Blanton's (which I have tried and enjoyed), Kentucky Spirit and Rock Hill. I am now intrigued to try it.
http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/05/11/single-barrel-bourbon-comparison-blantons-rock-hill-farm-and-kentucky-spirit/

Don't get me wrong on the Maker's Mark, I know there are "better" bourbons, I just haven't had any that I personally enjoy more. More being the key word. There are a lot of bourbons that I enjoy. Hopefully the next one will be Rock Hill Farms. I'll let you know what I think.

I've seen that video from him.... He does a damn good job of reviewing them! I believe he also like rock hills more then the other two? You'll enjoy it I think. The smell when you first open the bottle is like none other!

[sub]In South Beach, Had a Mojito and a Caprinha at the pool, life is good. [/sub]

Soon . . . very soon. :whistling:

~Boar

Very soon indeed . . . heh. ;)

Thanks to AVB's sterling generosity, tonight's post-prandial "Woot! Summer!" celebrations will be kicking off with a very special dram of Laphroaig 10 . . . bottled at 92 proof back in 1974!

I actually just sniffed the tulip glass for awhile first . . . it's like a rocky seacoast somewhere in Scotland. Smoke and peat and iodine, oh my. :love:

At first sip, it puts me more in mind of the Quarter Cask than the regular 10. Very oily, with a lot of medicinal iodine up front. Tons of smoke on the finish. Wonderful . . . though I suppose only Scotch drinkers would recognize any of the things I've said about it so far as compliments!

Thanks again, Ray. This is an amazing kickoff to my summer break. :thumbs:

~Boar

Soon . . . very soon. :whistling:

~Boar

Very soon indeed . . . heh. ;)

Thanks to AVB's sterling generosity, tonight's post-prandial "Woot! Summer!" celebrations will be kicking off with a very special dram of Laphroaig 10 . . . bottled at 92 proof back in 1974!

I actually just sniffed the tulip glass for awhile first . . . it's like a rocky seacoast somewhere in Scotland. Smoke and peat and iodine, oh my. :love:

At first sip, it puts me more in mind of the Quarter Cask than the regular 10. Very oily, with a lot of medicinal iodine up front. Tons of smoke on the finish. Wonderful . . . though I suppose only Scotch drinkers would recognize any of the things I've said about it so far as compliments!

Thanks again, Ray. This is an amazing kickoff to my summer break. :thumbs:

~Boar

Sounds like a winner. First and foremost. Congrats on surviving another year!!! I love me some Laphroaig (probably my favorite distillery). Interesting to see the variations over the years sounds like it is somewhere in between the QC and the CS knocked down to 92 proof.

I alwas enjoy the old stories regarding the Phroaig. Apparently, it was not included in the ban on alcohol during prohibition as it was considered to vile to drink for pleasure and was kept on hand at drug stores for medicinal purposes. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried a prohibition style laphroaig to see if there were any significant differences from the current offerings that would have warranted such a position (not that I would have been complaingin).

Although I'm mostly a Speyside kind of guy, I do find Islays a refreshing---and bracing---change of pace. The Cask Strength is, IMHO, absolutely everything a Laphroiag should be. This . . . was like drinking history. Truly marvelous.

You've made me really curious, though, with that tidbit about Prohibition Era Laphroiag. Hmmmmm. :love:

~Boar

I certainly thought the '74 had more iodine then the CS or current 10yo. Lots of folks think the peat was better back then and imparted a heavier flavor but even this seems to be a bit different then the '68 10yo I had a few years ago that one had some evaporation so you know it affected the taste.

I don't believe the story. The first regularly sold Single Malt in the US was The Glenlivet starting in late 1947, well after prohibition, All the scotch you could get here prior to that were blends.

The oiliness put me in mind of the QC, but the iodine was almost in a class by itself. And I think you're right . . . the peat was deeper and heavier than modern versions. Over the course of a cigar (good matchup, by the way . . . it let the dram shine and and was satisfying without overpowering it) it really softened and opened up in the glass. The last few sips were just heavenly.

~Boar

Finally opened my bottle of Dalwhinnie 29 to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary.

Knob Creek 100 proof Rye. Patiently aged. Whatever the hell that means. Not bad. Much more complex in taste than other ryes I've had.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.