• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Do you wrap it in butcher's paper at 150 degrees?

Doc
I seal mine in the extra-wide heavy duty aluminum foil, wrap it in an old beach towel and put it in an ice chest (no ice of course) for 4-5 minutes per pound before taking it out to be cut and served.

The technique I was referring to was wrapping at 150, continue cooking to 190-203, and then doing the cooler thing. Is that what you're referring too?

Doc

So, you guys wrapping your meat. You sealing it or leaving a bit open to vent a bit? I've never tried a total seal.

So, you guys wrapping your meat. You sealing it or leaving a bit open to vent a bit? I've never tried a total seal.
The idea, so I've read, is to get the wrap as tight as possible to seal in the juices. I'm new at this, but if a Texan can do it...

Doc

Total seal. The idea is to keep it cooking as it slowly cools. Hence only keeping it wrapped up for an hour or so.

Do you wrap it in butcher's paper at 150 degrees?
Doc

No, this pic is a little bit before it's coming out of the smoker.

Two schools of thought, to warp or not to wrap. I like a good bark and don't want to ruin it by wrapping. The wrap school feels the meat drys out if you don't wrap at the stall, but I have had good results so far not wrapping. One day I'm going to try wrapping and see if I like the difference. I cook to a temp of 203.

Monk, here is info on the wrap process: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html
Here is video testing three methods, no wrap, foil wrap, and paper wrap:
You be the judge.

After it's done, I wrap in heavy foil and insulate it. I hold it like this for at least 2 hours, usually more before serving.

AVB, The rub I made for this one was pretty simple and it had 1 tbs of sugar. Pepper, onion, garlic, smoky paprika, chipotle chili pepper, sugar.

Last edited:
I'm new at this, but if a Texan can do it...

Doc
Hah, you've made me guffaw a few times tonight.
I'm going to have to try this. I'm not a big beef eater anymore, but geebus if my son isn't turning into a regular carnivore. The kid loves steak, beef, pork, ham, and wants me to cook all of the cuts. He's exploring. It's actually pretty cool.

Monk, here is info on the wrap process:
Thank you. Good video. Now my mouth is watering, and I'm still a little full from dinner, which was:

A whole lotta fresh guacamole and salsa. Burgers, and battered and fried cheese curds. There is no leftover Guacamole! :D

Hah, you've made me guffaw a few times tonight.
I'm going to have to try this. I'm not a big beef eater anymore, but geebus if my son isn't turning into a regular carnivore. The kid loves steak, beef, pork, ham, and wants me to cook all of the cuts. He's exploring. It's actually pretty cool.
Meat, real food for real people. I don't know how anyone can do without it. It just ain't natural.

Doc

Looks like a lot of caramelization. Is it your rub or do you follow a recipe? How much sugar is used? The rub I make has no sugar in it at all.

I believe that's the bark which is created by smoking the meat for a long time. Like you, I don't add sugar to my rub and my briskets looks just as dark if not more.

I also wrap mines in butcher paper.

Edit to add picture: I only used salt and pepper on this brisket, it still had a few hours left when I took this picture.

IMG_20151013_141707_zps5bdxytlj.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AVB
My son picked tonight's menu. Ribeyes and Mac & Cheese (White Cheddar). No salad or veggies. :eek:

Speaking of butter I bought some Finlandia butter on a whim.. OMG it is sooooo GOOD!
Yes! I like all the ones I've tried from Europe. Trying to figure out my favorite. President is really good. Some stand out more on toast, etc., over cooking.