• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Lunch today was leftover 'sketty with meat sauce fried up in a pan with butter. It ain't done until it starts to smell like you're burning it. When it gets good and toasty it tastes the best.

Lunch today was leftover 'sketty with meat sauce fried up in a pan with butter. It ain't done until it starts to smell like you're burning it. When it gets good and toasty it tastes the best.
I do like fried left over pasta, but I use olive oil.

Doc

I do like fried left over pasta, but I use olive oil.

Doc
Hell yea! I like to add a nice dose of red pepper flakes to leftover fried Spaghetti too.

I'll post a Fried Ziti Recipe. I Think I have it all typed out already.

Had an idea to riff on red eye gravy. Made a roux with pork fat and flour (added a touch of butter as well), cooked that to medium (I suppose. I'm not the foremost expert on rouxs), added a bottle of Stumptown cold brew coffee and added various seasonings to taste (black pepper, touch of cinnamon, touch of sugar). Spooned it over some sliced tri-tip steaks. Came out interesting. As I take my coffee with milk and sugar it's got a bit of a bitter bite to it. Next time I might make it more to my taste by adding a touch of milk and a touch more sugar to it.

This morning I cooked breakfast for the parents. Dutch baby (or Bismarck, if you will) with some apple cinnamon flavored pork breakfast sausages I found in the market.

Well, the temp is below 80F, so I decided to make some baked ziti with sausage and mozzarella. Cooking the sauce now with the sausage. When it's done I'll let it cool, slice up the sausage, boil some water salted like the sea, drag out a casserole pan, mix it all together, grate some Parm on top and throw it into a 350F degree oven. Viola, a $20 dish for peanuts. Thank god I'm Italian.:)

Doc

baked ziti with sausage
Doc, do you have "Fresh Market" stores near you? I like their Italian Sausage. (they call it sweet, but it's not, imo. I'd call it mild) I can only get 2 palatable Italian sausages in this food challenged southern town. And, finding casing is impossible.

No, I use what my butcher makes. It ain't bad. I could do better myself, but what a pain in the ass. I can't imagine living in the South. Anybody that thinks grits and sausage gravy is the cat's meow ought to be shot.

Doc

No, I use what my butcher makes. It ain't bad. I could do better myself, but what a pain in the ass. I can't imagine living in the South. Anybody that thinks grits and sausage gravy is the cat's meow ought to be shot.

Doc

Shoot me now, grits and sausage gravy are delicious.

At least it ain't Scrapple.

Sausage gravy sticks to your ribs, and anything else you need glued around the house.:D

Shoot me now, grits and sausage gravy are delicious.

At least it ain't Scrapple.
Now it's true that scrapple is made out of some pretty ugly pig parts, but chittlens is chicken intestines. That's nasty.

Doc

Now it's true that scrapple is made out of some pretty ugly pig parts, but chittlens is chicken intestines. That's nasty.

Doc

Chitlins is usually pork.

A big bowl of sausage casings doesn't appeal to me either.

I'd pretty much try any of the aforementioned at least once, if I haven't already. Sausage gravy is awesome. Every so often I get a serious jonesing for biscuits and gravy.

I'd pretty much try any of the aforementioned at least once, if I haven't already. Sausage gravy is awesome. Every so often I get a serious jonesing for biscuits and gravy.

Buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy....now we're talking.

Last edited:
All kidding aside, I love Sausage gravy. The problem is, too many folks don't cook the roux properly, i.e., cooking it long enough to get rid of the raw flour taste. And, it is the truth that it will stick to your ribs. Eat Sausage Gravy over Sausage and Biscuits for breakfast, and you won't be hungry again until supper.