• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

13640967_1232194706812872_5991514518515270282_o.jpg

Here is my brisket from my mother's birthday. End up held over at work and had to improvise. 4 hours on the smoker, double foil wrapped and in the oven for 3 hours at 325, them finished on the smoker for the last hour. Honestly it was the best brisket I've done.

13653488_1254457687919907_4100771890894836986_o.jpg

Shrimp and grits.

That brisket looks delicious! I love making sandwiches the next day, rye bread and spicy mustard it's all that's needed... Ah, and maybe a few deli pickles on the side.

Reactions: AVB

Was that a whole packer? Looks good but rather small unless that is a big cutting board.

Was that a whole packer? Looks good but rather small unless that is a big cutting board.
It was the whole packer, not huge, around 10lbs. The cutting board isn't crazy big, I think it's around 20" by 14". Enough brisket to feed 7 adults and 4 kids with left overs for several days.

I can't say that there are never 10lb packers at my store but I've never seen one. What I normally find is 12-16lb which is a pretty big difference so it threw me. Sometimes I have to start mine in a curve standing on the side in my BGE for the first few hours until it shrinks enough to lay flat. Not often but it has happened a few times. Sometimes a rectangular grill has advantages over a circular one.

I have a butcher who specializes in smaller steers. Whole tenderloins are rarely over 5#. His meat grades closer to prime than choice. Independent butchers are more expensive than the chain grocery, but sometimes worth the extra cash.

Doc

Last edited:
I can't say that there are never 10lb packers at my store but I've never seen one. What I normally find is 12-16lb which is a pretty big difference so it threw me. Sometimes I have to start mine in a curve standing on the side in my BGE for the first few hours until it shrinks enough to lay flat. Not often but it has happened a few times. Sometimes a rectangular grill has advantages over a circular one.

What size is your BGE?

I have a butcher who specializes in smaller steers. Whole tenderloins are rarely over 5#. His meat grades closer to prime than choice. Independent butchers are more expensive than the chain grocery, but sometimes worth the extra cash.

Doc

Ten years working for one, and I hate buying meat anywhere else. Definitely spoiled me.

I made my second brisket today. Certainly sat by the fire long enough. From what I've read, it was done right and it tasted pretty good. Still juicy, bark, smoke ring etc. etc.
What I don't understand is what's all the hub bub about over cooked meat that tastes like a forest fire. Next time I want a brisket I'll use my best friend's Bubbie's recipe.

Doc

I dunno, Doc. I discovered smoked brisket when I moved down here to Texas and was like "where have you been all my life?" I can't go a month without picking up a pound of it at Rudy's.

Tonight was rotisserie chicken tacos. Local supermarket, HEB, does a great rotisserie chicken and as a bachelor, there's 3-4 meals in one of those birds---first night, chicken and potato salad and beans; second night, chicken tacos, third night, chicken quesadillas . . . maybe a chicken omelette or frittata after that . . . sometimes a chicken salad sandwich with the scraps . . . :D

~Boar

I dunno, Doc. I discovered smoked brisket when I moved down here to Texas and was like "where have you been all my life?" I can't go a month without picking up a pound of it at Rudy's.

Tonight was rotisserie chicken tacos. Local supermarket, HEB, does a great rotisserie chicken and as a bachelor, there's 3-4 meals in one of those birds---first night, chicken and potato salad and beans; second night, chicken tacos, third night, chicken quesadillas . . . maybe a chicken omelette or frittata after that . . . sometimes a chicken salad sandwich with the scraps . . . :D

~Boar
Obviously you've never had Bubbie's brisket.

Doc

Obviously you've never had Bubbie's brisket.

Doc
Isn't that a Kosher Brisket? Dang Jewish Delis in New York had the best Brisket I've ever eaten. Nice and moist, and great meat flavor vice the heavy smoke. I love it both ways, but I sure miss those Delis. I can remember getting a beer and sandwich for $1.25. And you could hit the condiment bar for Pickles, peppers, kraut, etc.

Yup, it's Kosher, but we goys can manage if given the opportunity. Best brisket I've ever had was from a Deli in Philly called Koch's'. Mrs. Koch used to make it every Wednesday morning for the weekend. You could smell it for blocks.
Oh, and Bubbie is Yiddish for grandmother.
Doc

The best brisket I've ever had, and what got me on the kick to smoking my own, is from a hole-in-the-wall place here in Sacramento called Jamies Broadway Grille.
They were on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, which is what got me to try them in the first place......

~Boar
Heard a comic one time talking about chicken omelets and how wrong they were. "That's a meal that spans two generations!"

Wife is working PMs. I'm having peppers and eggs.

Doc