• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Great Smoked Salmon Faceoff!

NorCalCigarLover

The Wine Guy
The gauntlet has been thrown down and Hillbilly Steaks is up for the challenge. A smoked salmon faceoff between and our Alaskan BOTL Swissy and our North Carolina brother Hillbilly Steaks.

The challenge was issued by yours trully in the Opus X thread and Hillbilly jumped at the opportunity, Swissy is no where to be seen as of yet :whistling: . NCCL volunteered as the official judge and offered up a bottle of one of Californias finest bottles of Pinot Noir as a prize. The excitement of a tasteoff spread quickly and ffopusxff offered up 2 Opus X cigars to sweeten the pot. Quickly followed by smokelaw1's ISOM mystery two-pack :0 .

Since there is no way I can make this a "one judge" contest I'll invite 4 other BOTL's in the area, for a total of five judges, to join me as official taste judges. We'll be pairing the smoked salmon with a CA Pinot described as ...

There is a lot to admire about this wine -- the gorgeous nose; the richness, opulence, and purity of the fruit (veering more blue/black than red); the complexity and secondary characteristics (cola, chocolate, and baking spices); the silky mouthfeel; and the balance and precision it deomonstrates from sniff to slurp to finish. Highly recommended.

I'll keep a running list of the prizes if anybody else want to help sweeten the pot even more:

The Prize Pot:
1. A bottle of one of Californias finest Pinot Noir's (NCCL)
2. 2 Opus X (ffopusxff)
3. ISOM mystery two-pack (smokelaw1)
4. 2 858 SG (hudsonvalley)
5. 5'er of Premiums (KayakinBoy)
6. 5'er of some premiums (awliuo)
7. PAM 2 pack (1964 & 1926) (ML237)
8. 1 LGC Serie R Limitada Natural 2004, 1 La Flor Dominicana Factory Press (Jack Straw)
9. 1 Padron 1926 #9 maddie to the LOSER (IgwanaRob)

See pictures of the event HERE

:cool:

I'll add in a nice 5er of Premiums! And I agree with HudsonValley, Jim will probably "smoke" this one, good luck to both though :thumbs:

I do have one small concern, but honestly I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. Swissy lives in Alaska, he has easy access to the best and freshest salmon on the planet. This makes a big difference. that I have to work around....either way, it will still be fun.

I would love to hear from swissy though and find out exactly what type of smoked salmon I should be shooting for. I mean there is cold smoked, plank smoked, hot smoked, etc etc. Mine will be hot smoked, and not totally dried out.

edit, nevermind, I did my research! Salmon

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

I'd love to be a judge on this thing!

Hey Swissy and Hillbilly, send some of that my way...I'll judge via proxy!! ;)

Hillbilly Steaks said:
Haters :laugh:
[snapback]286511[/snapback]​
Hey, HB, sorry. Who's a former Wasilla resident supposed to back? :) I grew up on the stuff and it is a science up there when it comes to smoking salmon. But best of luck! If you win I want the recipe!!!

no worries dude! Just trying to keep some humor about it.

But it shouldn't really be about the recipe, just fresh fish and the right type and amount of smoke....

Swissy's does look damn good though in the pictures he posted!

:laugh:
Sorry... forgot about that thread!! I'm sitting at work for 48 hours straight so had nothing better to do than cruise the board. Thanks for posting this one... was hard to miss!

Sounds like fun... I may be here in Alaska, but i'm just a personal smoker HillBilly... you have the edge with the equipment and expirence! As far as the salmon goes... if you're really worried about it I'd be happy to send a full, uncooked fillet of Copper River red salmon frozen since the day after I caught it in August for you to use! :cool:

As far as my smoked salmon goes, well I use a - C'mon... you really think I would tell you! :laugh: :p

I have two recipes I use... not sure which I'll send as they both are good- traditional and not so traditional. choices, choices!

And David, this has got to be a world record mooch if I've ever seen one!
LMFAO!!

Swissy said:
:laugh:
Sorry... forgot about that thread!! I'm sitting at work for 48 hours straight so had nothing better to do than cruise the board. Thanks for posting this one... was hard to miss!

Sounds like fun... I may be here in Alaska, but i'm just a personal smoker HillBilly... you have the edge with the equipment and expirence! As far as the salmon goes...  if you're really worried about it I'd be happy to send a full, uncooked fillet of Copper River red salmon frozen since the day after I caught it in August for you to use!  :cool:

As far as my smoked salmon goes, well I use a -  C'mon... you really think I would tell you!  :laugh:  :p

I have two recipes I use... not sure which I'll send as they both are good- traditional and not so traditional. choices, choices!

And David, this has got to be a world record mooch if I've ever seen one!
LMFAO!!
[snapback]286541[/snapback]​

swissy, that sounds great sending some fresh stuff. I'd be glad to send you some smoked treats in return. as for the recipe, I wasn't looking for that. Mainly just wanted to see if we'd both be sending the same type. it looks like you hot smoke yours.

either way, its all in fun! good luck to you!

E

Hillbilly Steaks said:
swissy, that sounds great sending some fresh stuff. I'd be glad to send you some smoked treats in return. as for the recipe, I wasn't looking for that. Mainly just wanted to see if we'd both be sending the same type. it looks like you hot smoke yours.
either way, its all in fun! good luck you you!
E
[snapback]286545[/snapback]​

PM me your addy, one that someone will be there to accept a box so it's not sitting out... I'll see about getting a fillet out for ya. USPS Express will deliver Saturday and Sunday so it should be ok... and since you're going to use it right away, who cares if it thaws out! :D

"it looks like you hot smoke yours"
Maybe... maybe not! :whistling:

Of course, you realize that if you win I won't be able to invite you up for any fresh salmom fishing don't you? :laugh: :p :cool:

As Homer would say: MMMMM...Copper River Reds...
Highest oil content of any species up there I believe.
I wish I had a wheel in THAT river!

Swissy said:
Hillbilly Steaks said:
swissy, that sounds great sending some fresh stuff.  I'd be glad to send you some smoked treats in return.  as for the recipe, I wasn't looking for that.  Mainly just wanted to see if we'd both be sending the same type.  it looks like you hot smoke yours.
either way, its all in fun!  good luck you you!
E
[snapback]286545[/snapback]​

PM me your addy, one that someone will be there to accept a box so it's not sitting out... I'll see about getting a fillet out for ya. USPS Express will deliver Saturday and Sunday so it should be ok... and since you're going to use it right away, who cares if it thaws out! :D

"it looks like you hot smoke yours"
Maybe... maybe not! :whistling:

Of course, you realize that if you win I won't be able to invite you up for any fresh salmom fishing don't you? :laugh: :p :cool:
[snapback]286547[/snapback]​

LOL, yeah I suppose. I was looking thru your website pictures. Man I've been wanting to go up to alaska for a long time! Looks beautiful. Those pictures that you have from that river where you were netting them look insane. A lot of water moving there!

Hillbilly Steaks said:
LOL, yeah I suppose. I was looking thru your website pictures. Man I've been wanting to go up to alaska for a long time! Looks beautiful. Those pictures that you have from that river where you were netting them look insane. A lot of water moving there!
[snapback]286551[/snapback]​

That's the Copper River... scares the hell outta my wife. She HATES it when I go alone to go fishing there. No cell phone coverage, no nothing so she just frets and worries the whole time I'm gone. Seems every year some moron falls in and is never seen again- so far THIS moron has done ok in that department! :laugh: It's like the same water volume in the Mississippi in a smaller space, so it's a VERY powerful current and undertow- just look at the whirlpools you can see in the pics.

Easy way to get a trip invite is just throw the contest!! :0

:laugh: J/K...

I'm out as a judge. I view smoked salmon as cat food and dearly love Hillbilly Steaks (Fraternal love is possible between two men, but I was talking about the food) :laugh:

Hillbilly Steaks said:
why does the water have such an odd color???

http://photobucket.com/albums/b216/Greater...nt=PICT0009.jpg
[snapback]286557[/snapback]​

Two reasons- main contributor to the river is glacier fed streams, so the greenish color is glacial silt- ground up rocks, dirt and such from the glacier grinding and moving. Second is the fact that this river is so strong, that is is always tearing apart the banks, so it is also dirt and mud falling in from the banks.

It's wild sitting there, as every so often you'll hear a low rumble and crashing sound, like a rockslide or avalanche. Only thing is, that's exactly what is it.. only under the water! This river is so strong and swift that boulders roll along the bottom! And there are always trees and crap floating downstream... I think a few of my pics show that if you look carefully.

Swissy said:
Hillbilly Steaks said:
why does the water have such an odd color???

http://photobucket.com/albums/b216/Greater...nt=PICT0009.jpg
[snapback]286557[/snapback]​

Two reasons- main contributor to the river is glacier fed streams, so the greenish color is glacial silt- ground up rocks, dirt and such from the glacier grinding and moving. Second is the fact that this river is so strong, that is is always tearing apart the banks, so it is also dirt and mud falling in from the banks.

It's wild sitting there, as every so often you'll hear a low rumble and crashing sound, like a rockslide or avalanche. Only thing is, that's exactly what is it.. only under the water! This river is so strong and swift that boulders roll along the bottom! And there are always trees and crap floating downstream... I think a few of my pics show that if you look carefully.
[snapback]286560[/snapback]​

that is just nuts man.