• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WHAT IS WITH THIS POKEMON GO?

MNBrian

So, over the weekend there's been an explosion of people downloading a new game called Pokémon Go.

Now, being this is becoming a social and worldwide phenomenon, I wanted to fill everyone in who isn't following the story.

Here are some stats.

1) In the first 5 days of going live, Pokémon Go already surpassed the total number of downloads of Tinder (the popular hookup app), and more amazingly, also surpassed the total number of downloads of Twitter. And that's in 5 days. It's going to break records.

2) But as most of us know, just downloading an app doesn't show a true metric of popularity. The real metric is average usage time. There's a fancy name for this in data analysis, but who cares. The point is, how long do people use the app at a time on average. Well, currently people are on Pokémon Go for an average of 42 minutes per use. That ALSO surpasses twitter, and the popular Instagram app (where users share photos like facebook but without all the profiles and words and nonsense).

3) Now, for a little more of an idea, the total downloads of the app are so high that 6% of people who own smartphones actually have the app. That's a lot of people.

So what is a Pokémon?

A Pokemon is a made up animal that usually mixes different qualities of different animals, and has special powers (like shooting fireballs) that can be used to battle other pokemon on Gameboy. In the game, you'd wander the wilderness and find pokemon (like animals in the real world) and use a Poke-ball to catch them instead of a net. Because net's are scary and Pokeballs make the Pokemon shrink down to the size of a marble to keep in your pocket. In Japan, Pokemon literally means "Pocket Monsters".

The game had a storyline (usually someone threatening to kill all the Pokemon or something like that) and the goal was to go beat that person's Pokemon up. Because people don't fist fight. They throw monsters at eachother and let their monsters do the talking. Usually everyone also wanted to "Catch Them All" as in catch all 300 unique Pokemon.

Back in the hay-day of handheld gaming, Pokemon came out with a red and blue version of the game. There were 300 total Pokemon. About half of the total were on each version, so in order to "Catch 'em All" you had to get a friend who had the other version and trade using a cable and two Gameboys.

What's Changed with Pokemon Go?

A lot. For one, phones can communicate with one another a lot easier than Gameboys. Secondly, phones have GPS units, and since the beginning of Pokemon, every kid (who grew up with it) loved to play make believe games where they'd go out into the woods and catch Pokemon. So add this idea of Pokemon and add geocaching (going to real world locations to find items using a GPS) and you get Pokemon Go.

Players download the app, then physically walk around a park or around their neighborhood, and as their phone moves, so does the character in the game (just like Google Maps follows your car). The Map shows up on the screen and you see rustling grass in areas where Pokemon are hiding. When you go near it, a Pokemon pops up on your screen and you can throw a Pokeball at him to catch him.

Once you have a few Pokemon, players can go to "Pokestops" which are real world points (like signs at the entrance to a park) to get free items that aid in catching pokemon. Players also are forced (once they've played for a few hours) to pick a team. There are 3 teams (Red, Yellow, and Blue). Players can then find a "gym" which is just another random GPS location like the entrance to a church or a public park sculpture or something (Think the spoon in MPLS/St Paul or the Giant Ball Sculpture in Chicago) and "battle" with their pokemon to take control of the location. If your team has control, you can make the gym harder to beat for other teams by "training" at the gym and then leaving one Pokemon behind at the gym. If someone else beats the gym your pokemon simply returns to you. If your team doesn't have control, you can take control by beating all the pokemon that have been left at that gym.

So there you have it. Cultural phenomenon in a nutshell.

I can tell you already this is changing how people play games. It really is the first big win for Virtual Reality type games and Pokemon Go is already talking to big people like Google about installing it in Google Glass (sunglasses that show digital stuff mixed with the real world) and other technology tycoons.

Hope this little guide helps people who don't get it. And if you're playing, feel free to reach out. I'll teach you all kinds of tips and tricks for leveling up. My wife and I are just loving playing it because it makes us go outside and not just sit on the couch and watch Netflix. We've walked 15 miles in the last few days and I'm sure a few months from now we'll be in much better shape.

Interesting, I never even knew what Pokemon was to begin with.

I've been seeing this on social media and didn't understand it. Thanks for the explanation.

My favorite part....pocket monster. <insert Freebern joke here>

Interesting, I never even knew what Pokemon was to begin with.

I've been seeing this on social media and didn't understand it. Thanks for the explanation.

My favorite part....pocket monster. <insert Freebern joke here>
Cool. I already have the one eyed trouser snake.

I watched some dude walk around the inside of our building, playing the game. Once he was done catching, whoever he caught, he turned to see if anyone was watching. He caught my eye, I shook my head and walked away. I doubt he cares, that I didn't approve.

Just thinking about it my daughter may love this. Should pull out one of my old iPhones.

I watched some dude walk around the inside of our building, playing the game. Once he was done catching, whoever he caught, he turned to see if anyone was watching. He caught my eye, I shook my head and walked away. I doubt he cares, that I didn't approve.

Yeah, it's really funny. It's created some really interesting moments. Much like Taylor Swift, most people who like it are a little embarrassed by the fact that they do.

These two guys walked up to me in the park and asked if I was playing. I smiled, and then they nerded out hardcore to me about how this amazing Pokemon was on that hill over there and I was like "Thank you! I have no idea what you just said because I don't know all the Pokemon names, but I'll go catch whatever it is!"

Another girl in her 20's was walking her dog with her phone out and she walked up to me at a gym and timidly looked up and said "Are you playing?" And I said "Playing what?" She said "Pokemon Go? Are you playing Pokemon Go?" And I said "Poka what?" There was this long awkward pause where she was clearly really embarrassed for asking a complete stranger if they were playing a video game, and then I said "Just kidding. Yeah. Gotta catch em all, right?"

It's pretty crazy. I also ran into a guy in his 20's who looked at me knowingly and said "We've gotta be the coolest people in Minnesota." I smiled, high-fived him and then we walked away. Only words we said to each other.

Phenomenon indeed...

Brian, thanks for the explanation, not sure I'll be playing but you never know. My sopn liked Pokemon when he was young, maybe he'll start playing.

I'm going to start taking pictures of people playing and create sort of a "People of Pokemon Go" page, like the "People of Walmart".

That's a really good idea, it could be sort of a photographer artist's view of people on the Pokemon hunt. Would make a great collection, but of course you will have to travel the world and get photos of people from other cultures as well. That implies getting to go to some great cigar shops and smoking lounges.

With the comparisons to twitter downloads and usage time, is that just the twitter app itself? Or the countless other options? I've never used the twitter app on my phone because it's awful.

And as far as what's changed, Pokemon now has access to your google account, search history, navigation history, etc. It knows exactly where you are during every second of your 42 minutes of playing time, and can see everything you see with your camera.

That's a really good idea, it could be sort of a photographer artist's view of people on the Pokemon hunt. Would make a great collection, but of course you will have to travel the world and get photos of people from other cultures as well. That implies getting to go to some great cigar shops and smoking lounges.

I need some financial backers, for my project. I'd have to quit work and take the family with me.

I need some financial backers, for my project. I'd have to quit work and take the family with me.

Naturally, just pedal the idea to a publisher for an advance.