• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

America's FIRST 5 Star Bourbon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 yo Bourbon, 750ml, standard bottle, no box, 91.6 proof, $55-100 depending where you find it. There was also a 20 yo that is now impossible to find for under $400 a bottle.

12%20Hirsch.jpg

The last, only and sadly soon to be gone pot still bourbon in America. A.H. Hirsh Reserve 16 yo Bourbon was made by the Mitchter distillery in Schaefferstown, PA until 1990 when a fire caused them to cease operation. The Mitchter Distillery was the oldest continuously operating distillery in the US with operation going back to 1752.

For those that don't know, a pot still is what is used for single malt scotch while almost everything else uses a Coffey still that is cheaper and faster but not necessarily better. You can read about pot and Coffey stills here if you want.

In the almost 15 years since the bottling of the A.H. Hirsh Reserve a number of bourbons have risen to the top but this remains the first bourbon ever given 5 stars by the Spirit Journal something that now happens only to a few outstanding bourbons.

I've included their review below because it is written better than I can do and I agree with it 100%.

This incredible bourbon was distilled in the spring of 1974 at the currently closed Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania, with a high proportion of rye. By law all bourbon must contain a minimum of 51% corn but this is the only one in our experience that echoes the sweet, nutty flavors of fresh picked white corn, fresh cooked out in the field it grew in. There's even a note of butter to complete the picture.

"Lustrous, rich medium-amber/sunset orange with copper/russet highlights, the tight, compact nose has sensuous fragrances of spiced orange, walnut, corn husk, a touch of resin, and, most predominantly, nougat. The layers of aroma unwrap like the delicate skins of an onion - it's a seductive and coy bourbon nose. A robust and polite bourbon in the mouth, with happily married tastes of caramel, oats, toffee, wood smoke, maple syrup, oak, controlled alcohol and raisins. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old received the first ever five star rating for a bourbon by The Spirits Journal, the authoritative voice of fine spirits.

"It's as seductive and coy a Bourbon nose as I've come across; in the mouth, this robust, but polite Bourbon confidently offers happily married tastes of caramel, oats, coffee, wood smoke, maple syrup, oak, controlled alcohol and raisins, there's even a slim trace of sweet sherry in the sublime, firm, heady aftertaste; clearly the best Bourbon I've evaluated for the Spirits Journal to date." Score: 5 stars, F. Paul Pacult.

Chances are you won't find this for under $85 anywhere anymore but if you can buy it or order it I'd highly recommend doing so. Have a drink of history. :thumbs:

Here is the best price you'll find. Not as good as just a few months ago but a great chance to get some while you can.

Point of information:

Can a Pennsylvania-made American whiskey be legitimately called a Bourbon? I thought a Bourbon, in order to be called a Bourbon, has to be distilled in the State of Kentucky. That's why Jack Daniels is not a Bourbon, even though it is made with sour mash just over the border in Tennessee, and for all intents and purposes is a Bourbon. Right? Or am I wrong? Are there any Bourbon aficianados out there who can clarify this? Are there any Kentuckians lurking out there?

Take care,

Bacchus

Bourbon is a process and made with 51% corn. The only requirement is that it has to be made in the States to be called Bourbon. Obviously, Kentucky Bourbon has to be made in that state. Tennessee Whiskey is also a specific process a bit different from bourbon and has to be made in Tennessee. You can read all about the history of Bourbon here.

BTW, since Pennsylvania was making Bourbon long before Kentucky your question could be reversed. Can Bourbon ligititmately be made in Kentucky :D

Edited for spelling, I don't do well at 5:40AM.

Thanks for the clarification AVB.

I read the link you provided with great interest. Hampshire County, Virginia, now West Virginia, where the Shawhan family developed their secret Bourbon recipe, encompasses the area where I grew up (my county was subdivided from Hampshire in the late 1700's). Moreover, Monongalia County Virginia, where Shawhan started his commercial distillery operation prior to the Whiskey Rebellion, is actually Monongalia County, West Virginia, not a part of Pennsylvania, today. So the honors actually go to the Mountain State, the birthplace of Bourbon - who'd a thunk it? :)

Take care,

Bacchus

Had some friends pick me up a second bottle of this bourbon this weekend. :D I had one, but didn't want to open it until I had another. Correct me if I am wrong, but this one is going away fairly soon.

I can't wait to try it. :thumbs:

I'm fairly certain that this is the last release. The current one has a gold foil seal while the older releases has Gold, Blue or Black wax seals. I'd like to get a another wax seal one myself.

AVB said:
I'm fairly certain that this is the last release. The current one has a gold foil seal while the older releases has Gold, Blue or Black wax seals. I'd like to get a another wax seal one myself.
[snapback]218196[/snapback]​
I honestly have not looked at the bottle close enough to see what it has. Don't know if it is foil or wax. Will take a look tonight and let you know.

It's foil, there was a year gap between releases and it was sold out of PA. All the ones that came in were the foil ones.

arrrgh!

our website will not let you place an order for shipment to Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, Massachusetts

Stupid state laws!

AVB said:
It's foil, there was a year gap between releases and it was sold out of PA. All the ones that came in were the foil ones.
[snapback]218312[/snapback]​

Yep, you are right. I checked at lunch. Oh well, still can't wait to try it. :p

Why are you asking? It says right in the first picture caption of the story and the name is Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey. It can't be called bourbon.

"While bourbons must be distilled from at least 51 percent corn, winter wheat makes up 51 percent of Bernheim's grain recipe."

Yeah, it has been the subject of a number of threads over the last year or so on the bourbon boards. If I see one I'll get it just to try.

Nope, not been able to find it in PA or MD and haven't wanted it bad enough to snag one off the internet.

ddepaola said:
AVB, have you had any Bernheim yet?
[snapback]265880[/snapback]​