• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Thank you all for calling folks out and insisting that proper (or mostly proper) use of the English language takes place here.

At first I never really noticed the point, but lately it's been so refreshing to come here and not have to decipher people's awful attempts at conveying their thoughts over the internet.

Jeep forum was never too bad, a few folks were a pain to read though.

The magnum forum I'm on, on the other hand, is a nightmare. I wonder how half the people over there even graduated high school.

Thank you all for providing me with a little grammar refuge here on the internet, I like not having to read through every post 3 times to understand what was trying to be said. It's so refreshing! I can only stare at that crap over on custom magnums for so long before I need a dose of comprehensible writing.

Thank you all for calling folks out and insisting that proper (or mostly proper) use of the English language takes place here.

At first I never really noticed the point, but lately it's been so refreshing to come somewhere and not have to decipher peoples awful attempts at conveying their thoughts over the internet.

The magnum forum I'm on, on the other hand, is a nightmare. I wonder how half the people over there even graduated high school.

So, thank you all for providing me with a little grammar refuge here on the internet, I like not having to read through every post 3 times to understand what was trying to be said, it's so refreshing! I can only state at that crap over on custom magnums for so long before I need a dose of comprehensible writing.

Maybe 'stare' ? ???

At first I never really noticed the point, but lately it's been so refreshing to come somewhere and not have to decipher people's awful attempts at conveying their thoughts over the internet.

Jeep forum was never too bad. a A few folks were a pain to read though.

So Thank you all for providing me with a little grammar refuge here on the internet., I like not having to read through every post 3 times to understand what was trying to be said., i It's so refreshing! I can only stare at that crap over on custom magnums for so long before I need a dose of comprehensible writing.
It's our pleasure. :D

Wilkey

At first I never really noticed the point, but lately it's been so refreshing to come somewhere and not have to decipher peoples awful attempts at conveying their thoughts over the internet.

So, thank you all for providing me with a little grammar refuge here on the internet, I like not having to read through every post 3 times to understand what was trying to be said, it's so refreshing! I can only state at that crap over on custom magnums for so long before I need a dose of comprehensible writing.

peoples'

:D

It's what separates Landscape Architecture students, and grounds keepers.

Doc.

peoples'

:D

Actually, I believe it should be people's.

I wasn't sure about that. Isn't "people" referring to a group, therefore the apostrophe goes after, or is "people" a singular group?

I wasn't sure about that. Isn't "people" referring to a group, therefore the apostrophe goes after, or is "people" a singular group?

He is using the word as belonging to that group, so it is possessive, therefore should be people's.

Did you join my army?

—Usage note People is usually followed by a plural verb and referred to by a plural pronoun: People are always looking for a bargain. The people have made their choice. The possessive is formed regularly, with the apostrophe before the -s: people's desire for a bargain; the people's choice. When people means “the entire body of persons who constitute a community or other group by virtue of a common culture, history, etc.,” it is used as a singular, with the plural peoples: This people shares characteristics with certain inhabitants of central Asia. The aboriginal peoples of the Western Hemisphere speak many different languages. The formation of the possessive is regular; the singular is people's and the plural is peoples'.

From dictionary.com (emphasis added).

Here, "people" in the post is referred to by the plural pronoun "their" and appears to mean people in general, not a specific group (a specific "people" if you will), so I think the first rule applies.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill

Either "go somewhere" or "come here".

:sign:

Bahaha buncha jerks around here! :p

I knew this was going to happen though haha. You all understand what I'm saying though, minor grammatical issues that are a result from quick typing and thinking are one thing...

and I don't know what all you folk's are talking about, my first post seems entirely grammatically correct..... :sign:

Edited to cover my ass.

Strayvector, I can't go to threads you post in because I spend so much time staring at your avatar that I forget what the damn threads about. :laugh: I think I need to take a break.

...Must look again...
...Trying to stop...
...no control...

Ahh, to hell with it, see you all up top!

At first I never really noticed the point, but lately it's been so refreshing to come here and not have to decipher people's awful attempts at conveying their thoughts over the internet.

The Jeep forum was never too bad, a few folks were a pain to read though.

Thank you all for providing me with a little grammar refuge here on the internet, I like not having to read through every post 3 times to understand what was trying to be said. It's so refreshing! I can only stare at that crap over on custom magnums for so long before I need a dose of comprehensible writing.

:p

Just as long as those peoples don't start bustin' on my stylistic droppin' of the g from my -ing endin's. Oh...and my habit of usin' 'em for them...and my overuse of the ellipsis...like this...

UR welcom I hope U R having Fun here 2.
Those peeps that dont take language serius should have there buts kicked

ima going now

UR welcom I hope U R having Fun here 2.
Those peeps that dont take language serius should have there buts kicked

ima going now

what really gets me is when people type like this no punctuation no capitals nothing I'm actually having a hard time writing like this must use punctuation its quite difficult to just write in crazy long run on thoughts look i instinctively capitalized my i'm and used punctuation seriously how do people talk like this it gets really bad when it's a paragraph and it gives me a headache to read i keep losing my place and having to find it again such a pain in the arse.

Phew, that was tough to do.

there's one guy over on the magnum forums that types every message like that but always starts with hello.

hello i like the rims you put on your car what size exactly are they did you get them from www.wheels.com

hello the problem you're seeing is cause by fuse number 4 located the under hood fuse box you need to take it out get it tested at an autoparts store and if its bad replace it then if you still have the problem blah blah blah

I cannot stand that.