• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FYI New Jersey Residents

Uncle Boo

I just received a nice letter from the division of taxation. I owe 30% tax +7% sales tax on a purchase I made in the summer of 2007. It was my one and only purchase from New Havana Cigars. They reported the purchase to the State of New Jersey and now I owe the tax.

Just wanted to warn anyone from NJ that was thinking of buying from them. :angry:

How common is this considering a lot of people buy from internet sites out of their state of residence?

I just received a nice letter from the division of taxation. I owe 30% tax +7% sales tax on a purchase I made in the summer of 2007. It was my one and only purchase from New Havana Cigars. They reported the purchase to the State of New Jersey and now I owe the tax.

Just wanted to warn anyone from NJ that was thinking of buying from them. :angry:

Isn't that the same vendor that Rod banned from here a whole back? Awfully nice of him to report it...

It's strange they would do this considering they are not incorporated in NJ hence they can not charge Jersey taxes. There really is no benefit to them to do this. The state of NJ can't do anything to them as a result of not reporting this AFAIK.

Isn't that the same vendor that Rod banned from here a whole back? Awfully nice of him to report it...

Not sure if he was banned or not but isn't that is the vendor that caused a problem with Al and his sales?

not that i am in support of the business or anything like that but i wonder this, when you do your taxes for the year they ask for you to report any online transactions so that they can collect the taxes lost by not buying in your state. Can the government be making the stores fully report any and all sales done online in order to recoup these lost taxes?

not that i am in support of the business or anything like that but i wonder this, when you do your taxes for the year they ask for you to report any online transactions so that they can collect the taxes lost by not buying in your state. Can the government be making the stores fully report any and all sales done online in order to recoup these lost taxes?

They already do!

Not sure if he was banned or not but isn't that is the vendor that caused a problem with Al and his sales?
I beleive so...

I did order from them as well a while back so we'll see if I get the same letter.

Banned

I believe that's a Jersey law and not an Ohio law. Dont kill the messenger...

I believe that's a Jersey law and not an Ohio law. Dont kill the messenger...
But an Ohio company doesn't have to turn over it's records of sales in Jersey. Since it's not governed by the state of New Jersey.

They chose to do so and in doing so screwed the original poster!

I got a call from a customer THIS morning and he received the SAME exact letter from NJ. His purchase was in 03 from New havana cigars and was asking if we also reported him. I told him that we don't give out names to the state when we're audited. If they want names, they have to subpoena them. This is definitely coming from the retailer reporting it to the state. I can't understand how the state can charge the taxes from a purchase several years ago.

Bump.....PEOPLE NEED TO BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE RETAILERS OUT THERE PULLING THIS CRAP!!!

I'm starting to get grief from this vendor in OH for posting this info on this board AND on another. Seems like Mr Punch is still around, only with a different name on another board. Funny thing is that my post was reported to them by someone on THIS board before the other post was made.