• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Evil Dr. Moki's Group Blind Taste Test #2.1 (sign-up thread)

moki

el Presidente
The Evil Dr. Moki's Group Blind Taste Test #2.1 (sign-up thread)

I'm looking for a few good men

Please read this post in its entirety before responding

Background

(I tried this back in April 2008, but it was cancelled due to lack of interest. Let's see if we can get this off the ground in 2009).

Group Blind Taste Test #1 was a great success, and I think it's time to get the ball rolling with round #2! This is the official sign-up thread. The "Review Standards" will be slightly different for round #2 than they were for round #1, with no marca, country of origin, etc. guessing, and better rating/tasting guidelines. I think this will let people focus on just enjoying the cigar (or not) and writing up their review of it. The idea is to make it seem less like a "test" and more just about "what did you like about this cigar, how much would you pay for it, and how would you rate it?"

I've conducted a number of blind taste tests (Link #1, Link #2, etc.), and have participated in a number of them as well (Link #3). I think they are both entertaining and educational for all involved.

I'd like to take it to the next level, and continue in my series of group blind taste testings. Each of the 10 participants will be sent 10 unbanded cigars, and they will be asked to smoke these cigars in order, in a timely manner, and submit their reviews and ratings of the cigars as outlined in the "Review Standards" (see below). The review standards will be slightly different than they were for round #1.

Requirements

1. Payment -- This blind taste test will not be free. I have already picked out the cigars, and the entry fee will be $100. You will be getting your money's worth; some cigars may be worth less than $10 each, some may be worth more than $10 each.

2. Promptness -- Since we are organizing a group of 10 people, anyone who is holding up the review process will impact everyone. You will be required to smoke 1 cigar every 5 days; if you cannot meet this requirement, please do not apply.

3. Nepotism -- I will give preference to people I know and have dealt with before, as well as to people whom I think will be prompt and give good reviews of the cigars. Please do not take it personally if you are not chosen to participate.

4. Reviews -- This blind taste testing will not be about determining country of origin (though that will be an optional determination reviewers can make). Rather it will simply be about smoking the cigars, writing your review impressions, and rating the cigar according to the "Review Standards" (which will be posted in a new thread, once we have our 10 participants).

5. Procedure -- Reviews will be sent to me via PM, and I will format, collate, and summarize the reviews for each cigar, and then post them to the official thread. I want to do it this way to keep things organized.

The Rules

After the testing group has been chosen, I will post the complete rules and "Review Standards" in a separate post. It will be similar to the rules used in the first Evil Dr. Moki blind taste test, but with less emphasis on determining the origin/marca and more on the taste/enjoyment of the cigar.

Applying

To apply for a spot in this blind taste testing, simply post "I'm interested!" in this thread. I will close the application process at midnight EST on Saturday, January 24th, 2009. I will then notify the 10 people who will be participating in the event via PM, and request their current mailing address.

People who participated in previous blind taste testings are welcome to apply if they wish. Please do not be upset if you're not chosen, it's nothing personal.

My goal is to begin the blind taste test the week of February 1st, and it should take approximately a month and a half (50 days) to complete, at the rate of 1 cigar every 5 days. I will post a schedule to keep everyone on track.

This should be fun! :)

I'll watch this one play out, thanks for having me the first round!

Round #1 was very interesting to watch. I suspect the same will be true of this one.

... and I'm interested! :thumbs:

Humbled if you'd have me, Andrew.

Edit: "I'm interested." Just following rules ;).

You couldn't wait until it was a little warmer?

Not everyone has a comfy barn :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have to wait till next one.