• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

frequencey of puffs

mateo

CP Newbie
I just read that you should puff on a cigar about every minute. Does anyone follow this practice? I usually take 3 puffs or so a minute and I never notice the cigar smoke tasting hot or bitter. Is it better to smoke slow on a stogie? I knew that was good practice for smoking a pipe but I thought cigars gave you more flexibility. I just finished an H Upmann Robusto 1844, and I thought it was great though I did not follow this practice. It still took me 40 minutes to smoke. I can't imagine how long a cigar would last on one puff a minute. Just wondering.

Oh yeah, I always carry my stopwatch, along with my cigar cutter. I couldn't possibly smoke a cigar without it. Citizens makes an excellent one just for cigar smokers. It has a little indentation in the case to rest your cigar and an alarm that you set to precisely set a time that works for you. If you don't take a puff at least every 60 sec. harmful oils develop, which when burnt, may cause your crank to shrivel up. That wouldn't be such a bad thing in your case so I wouldn't worry about it much, if I were you.

Doc.

I just read that you should puff on a cigar about every minute. Does anyone follow this practice? I usually take 3 puffs or so a minute and I never notice the cigar smoke tasting hot or bitter. Is it better to smoke slow on a stogie? I knew that was good practice for smoking a pipe but I thought cigars gave you more flexibility. I just finished an H Upmann Robusto 1844, and I thought it was great though I did not follow this practice. It still took me 40 minutes to smoke. I can't imagine how long a cigar would last on one puff a minute. Just wondering.

If what you are doing works for you, then why change it? I believe when you are asking about people who take, "one puff per minute", that it isn't really one puff, but the usual two shallow, quick puffs, then the long, deep draw, per minute. That sounds like what you are doing as well. Some cigars will get bitter no matter what, some will only get bitter and hot if smoked too quickly, ect ect. YMMV. Find what works for you and the particular cigar you are enjoying.

I read that once before as well and slowed down my smoking a bit. I still choose to puff when I feel like it, otherwise I'm not personally satisfied smoking even if it is a good stick. I just take care not to let things heat up too much.

Too fast will tend to affect the burn before it affects the taste . . . if I notice a sideways burn starting I slow down a little and let it self-correct. Otherwise, I just smoke it and don't watch the clock at all.

~Boar

The size of the cigar depends on the puff speed for me alot of the times, also the amount of smoke I puff at a time. With a Lancero i tend to take short repeated puffs to get a good amount of smoke while with a Torp or something with a larger ring gauge I will take a longer drawn out puff because it doesn't heat up nearly as fast. The things people tend to recommend are usually from their experiences, and the only way to find what works for you is trial and error. If you notice your cigar going out between puffs then you probably need to stoke it a little more often, then again if you are getting burnt or bitter tastes you may want to slow down a bit. One thing that I have found to help with the cigar if this has happened and it has gotten a little too hot is to let it sit for a few minutes without taking a puff then instead of drawing through the cigar I will blow out through it and try to push some of the build-up out of the torched end. If done correctly when blowing out of the cigar if you touch your lighter to it there will be a blowtorch affect and the smoke coming out will be flammable. *** Not to be attempted with a nubbed cigar ***

It's a race, mateo. The faster you smoke your current cigar the faster you can move on to the next one. Speaking of the next one, would you happen to know a good, medium smoke? I'm looking for recommendations. Also, do you purge your cigars while smoking? I've heard that term before but didn't search it's meaning. I was wondering if you could let me know what that means. TIA.

2rxg041.jpg

It's a race, mateo. The faster you smoke your current cigar the faster you can move on to the next one.
Mo is right, but maybe missed the larger point. You want to power hork your smokes absolutely as hard and fast as you can. Why? Well, the harder you pull, the hotter the burn. You want that burn as hot as possible so the essential oils are vaporized properly. If they are not, you won't experience the full body of your smoke. Besides, if you don't, it could take maybe 30-40 minutes for one smoke! Who has that kind of time, anyway.

Maybe you could help me; I'm trying to decide how to best store my smokes.....cello on in a humidor with beads @ 65.134%, or cello off in a coolerdor with beads @ 65.624%.....??

I gotta get another shirt, I just spewed coffee all over mine :laugh:

I'm glad you have thick skin and.......head!. Keep enjoying the hobby my man, for one day you'll be asked these same questions by anothew newbie.
For me, practice, practice, practice ! Just like masturbation, ya gotta find your stroke....I mean stoke!

If mateo ever tells a newbie to do a search I'll have seen everything the world has to offer.

I guess I'll get serious for a moment. I believe Mateo is a troll. Take a look at his profile. Doesn't seem like the profile of someone who wants to be a member here. There's no information. Nobody is this obtuse. He's been impervious to some awful insults and he keeps posting. I think the best way to deal with him is ignore him. He's just loving the attention.

Doc.

I completely agree Doc. He has stopped responding to the advice given him, he just posts a new topic. He is here for no other reason than his own self amusement. I will not reply to another of his topics.

I guess I'll get serious for a moment. I believe Mateo is a troll. Take a look at his profile. Doesn't seem like the profile of someone who wants to be a member here. There's no information. Nobody is this obtuse. He's been impervious to some awful insults and he keeps posting. I think the best way to deal with him is ignore him. He's just loving the attention.

Doc.

I disagree, he has to be related or is Bill Clinton. Rod can you do an IP check and compare?

The line of questions seems so similar he could be a twin. Makes you wonder how many people out there who are this lost or are that lonely?

Doc.

I disagree, he has to be related or is Bill Clinton. Rod can you do an IP check and compare?

The line of questions seems so similar he could be a twin. Makes you wonder how many people out there who are this lost or are that lonely?
OK, so he's not just any troll.

Doc.

Doc.

OK, so he's not just any troll.

Doc.

LOL!

You notice how he seldom posts in his own thread and opts for a new one instead?
Classic troll, but a sutble moronic tone enough to grab the attention of all the new fellows here.

Are you for real? The majority of your posts are complete nonsense. Learn to use the SEARCH feature.

Anthony - I'll run a few checks...

Account appears to be authentic, and is located is Beaverton, OR. Still seems suspicious.