• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dry Boxing

I'm getting a glass top humi for Christmas (arrived in the mail with no outer cardboard box) so will use that as a dry box. I over humidfied the last one. Keeps a steady 67 so keep the cheapo machine rolled in there.

So I have been having an issue with my dry box not wanting to get down to the 60-62% range has been wanting to stay in the 65% range with a 62% boveda in a tuppedor, should I try an empty cigar box?

So I have been having an issue with my dry box not wanting to get down to the 60-62% range has been wanting to stay in the 65% range with a 62% boveda in a tuppedor, should I try an empty cigar box?
what is the ambient RH in the room its in?

@Eqwhipped ambient in the room is about 40%
I would say just remove all humidification devices from the tuppador and monitor the cigars carefully with a accurate hydrometer. (one you calibrated using the salt test). If you have a good wooden cigar box it will be more effective at drying the cigars. I personally find using a wood table top humidor with a boveda pack gets me where I want in about a week. Using plastic will take longer but is more controlled. The goal is that the humidity in the cigar is uniform, if the filler is still at a higher RH it could expand and split the wrapper once heat is applied IE lighting the cigar.

Pretty much all I have said is covered in the thread if read from page one as well, good luck!

Steve F.

Might want to try placing some cedar blocks or some cedar splits from inside tubos or en cedros wrappers inside the dry box to help absorb some of the humidity. Have you tried smoking the dry boxed cigars once they've been in the 65% for a week or so? If they are smoking well, then I wouldn't worry too much over the difference.

Also, the cigars you put in there will raise the humidity, just wait until it lowers down to smoke them. Sometimes, it will take a week for mine to lower down, but it’s definitely worth the wait.

Also, the cigars you put in there will raise the humidity, just wait until it lowers down to smoke them. Sometimes, it will take a week for mine to lower down, but it’s definitely worth the wait.
@CigSid I understand they can take some time to lower down, these 9 have been in there for a week and are reading 65.8% on a calibrated hygrometer which then would mean they are not ready to smoke. Which makes me wonder if I shoukd start using an old cigar box.

So the glass top humi keeps a steady 67 with zero boveda...room humidity is always around mid 60s. That's without seasoning.

I've got a bundle of 6g 62s. Throw those in?

@CigSid I understand they can take some time to lower down, these 9 have been in there for a week and are reading 65.8% on a calibrated hygrometer which then would mean they are not ready to smoke. Which makes me wonder if I shoukd start using an old cigar box.
I'll ask, again: Have you tried smoking any of the sticks at 65%?

I'll ask, again: Have you tried smoking any of the sticks at 65%?
I agree. 65 seems like they should smoke fine. You could always pick up some bargain bin sticks and add them to see if they suck up some of the humidity. Or just take the boveda pack out for a bit. Or even add dry beads?

I wouldn't worry too much about 62 vs 65 %. I would even venture a guess that the calibrated hydrometer is +/- 2-3% making it right in the wheelhouse so to speak.

You've gotten some good advice. I will add my .02
  1. Make sure your hygrometer is correct? Try the salt test.
  2. Are you sure that the location of the humidor is 40% ambient RH?
  3. It can take a while for a cedar humidor which is fully seasoned at 70% to go down to 62% depending on size/mass.
  4. It's never good to try to change RH quickly, there might be a few pounds of cedar which slowly have to become acclimated.
  5. Anything you have that you "know" is 62% can be thrown in there to help it stabilize ...... but don't guess.
I was given a cedar humidor, which I will use as a dry box, and it had previously spent a couple years at 40 - 50%. It has taken a looooooooong time for it to stabilize.

First I put some 70% beads in it, from my coolidor, and a bowl with distilled water. I watched it for a few weeks, refilling the water as needed, until it was around 62% or above for several days. Then I pulled the water, left the beads, along with the boveda packs in and it is holding. Now the beads, the humidor, and the boveda packs are all stabilized at 62%