• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

10 Minutes

DesertRat

Perpetual Newbie
Today's high was 109 degrees, the humidity topped out at 10% and we had about a 20mph wind blowing from the west.

Had to run some errands this afternoon and took a Victor Sinclair Vintage Select with me to smoke on the way. In the high heat and low humidity the cigar lasted all of 10 minutes before it was dried out cracked and useless to even try to smoke. Good thing it wasn't an expensive stick!

Have to be careful this time of year to smoke only in a reasonably controlled environment

One trick I've used when the RH is low is to (no kidding) run some water over the wrapper of the smoke just before you light up.

In the winter, that trick makes outside smoking not only possible but enjoyable.

Might give it a try - B.B.S.

One trick I've used when the RH is low is to (no kidding) run some water over the wrapper of the smoke just before you light up.

In the winter, that trick makes outside smoking not only possible but enjoyable.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. With the wind we have it is like a blast furnace sometimes here. But any trick is worth trying (on cheaper cigars ;))

Thanks!

Danny

I get the same problem here in AZ ill have to give the water thing a try. Thanks for the tip.

On the rare occasion I smoke a cigar in the winter I wrap it in a wrung out paper towel for about a minute or so before going outside. The towel cannot be too wet or it will ruin the cigar, but wrung out as much as possible is good. I also avoid delicate wrappers like cameroon, corojo, and cigars with other wrappers I know to be thin. Big beefy maduros hold up very well to the dry weather.

It's kind of the opposite extreme here in the winter, but the mechanics of it all should be similar as it's the extremely dry air that does a number on the wrappers.

That trick is a MUST for Winter smoking here in New England and probably should be for you Summer smokes there. Another thing to keep in mind is try to stay away from the thinner wrappers in that low RH. Especially your Cameroon's. Thats why I simply won't even try to smoke a Carlito GOF in the Winter here. No matter what it will always split. I also have the same issue with any WOAM in the Winter here.

Art

I'm in the Palm Springs area for several weeks now. It was 116 yesterday and today.
I have a pop-up in the backyard of where I'm working. I ran some misters underneath it
to drop the temp by 15-20 degrees. If I smoke under the pop-up with the misters running,
I can smoke without any problems. If I smoke outside the pop-up misery every time. :angry:

- KiltLad

I don't seem to have experienced this issue yet in dry weather...I too am in the Northeast...New York to be exact. I only smoke outside, so during the winter that is where I smoke. Haven't had any issues yet with burn or the cigar coming apart - knock on wood.

I know how you feel, it's been like that a lot lately here too. I've been helping a friend paint a car in his garage, and have been smoking while doing body work. I had an Ashton crack and fall apart on me in the garage.

Fortunatly haven't had to deal with problems during the summer in New England, the humidity is always very high and the temp hasn't gone anywhere near 100 yet as far as I know (which is crazy!).

Ever seen a cigar explode? Try smoking one in the low teens. One second you are freezing your arse off, the next your cigar is blowing up

Fortunatly haven't had to deal with problems during the summer in New England, the humidity is always very high and the temp hasn't gone anywhere near 100 yet as far as I know (which is crazy!).

Ever seen a cigar explode? Try smoking one in the low teens. One second you are freezing your arse off, the next your cigar is blowing up

Definitely!

Last time I was home in NH (this past winter) I was trying to smoke every night on the porch at my parents Inn, it was a fruitless endeavor, everything was bursting and my fingers were numb. Not to mention the looks I got from guests as they returned for the evening, haha.