• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

$100 for a cigar?!?!?!?!?!

Lumberg

Opus Lover
Damn, CI is selling Partagas 150 Don Ramons for $100 a stick, or $795 for 10.

I mean people smoke some nice cigars on here but $100 for one stick of tobacco...you have to be kidding!

Dude, you get into some of the ISOM davidoffs w/age on the (ie. Mid 80's, and especially 1979 LMAO) They go WAY higher than that, and those are just sticks of tobacco.

I will try one.

No I will spend MORE than 100 for one cigar. But that is just me................ I have GOT to try one (or two :p )

I am just letting you know that 100 bucks for a cigar is not unheard of and in fact I could show you where to spend more than twice as much. It's all in the eye of the beholder though........ To you it may never be worth it, and once I have had one then I might not think it is worth it, but I am willing to try at least once!

Phil

You are saying no because you are referncing your current pay scale. In the Coast Guard, just counting base pay alone I make $90 a day, 7 days a week. So for me, $100 for a cigar is pretty steep. I would spend $10 on a smoke and feel fine about it. If someone makes $1000 a day, every day of the year, $100 on a smoke is pocket change. Same ratio you see.

Emo

I must be a cheap SOB because I still feel bad lighting up a $10 smoke, and I make more than $90 a day. I don't have any cigars that I actually paid $10 each for but I do have a bunch some that supposedly list at $10 or more each. I save them for the weekends. :D

Davidoff singles prices:

1000 $33.60
3000 $48.00
4000 $94.40
5000 - 1985 $158.40
Amassadrise $22.40
Chateau Latour - 1987 $120.00
Chateau Margaux - 1980s $104.00
Chateau Moutain Rothschild $211.20
Chateau Y'quem (unbanded) $296.00

just so you have some ideas of pricing.

:thumbs:

as emmo said, it is all relative to what you make $$ wise, I get ~$8 a day with work-study, so usu. smoke once a week, from my humi, then I save up and get a few cool ones and usu. one great one every now and then.

emodx said:
You are saying no because you are referncing your current pay scale. In the Coast Guard, just counting base pay alone I make $90 a day, 7 days a week. So for me, $100 for a cigar is pretty steep. I would spend $10 on a smoke and feel fine about it. If someone makes $1000 a day, every day of the year, $100 on a smoke is pocket change. Same ratio you see.

Emo
On one hand that makes sense

On the other it reminds me of something I studied in an ethics of business class about economic justice.

How can you justify spending $100 on a cigar when there are people in the world that barely have enough to eat? If you're not a globalist, then people in the US with not enough to eat?

That $100 to a poor family might mean food for a week. That $100 to a rich person means 2 hours of smoking enjoyment.

Course I am digging a hole for myself cos where do you draw the line? $20 a stick? $15?

If I could get a guaranteed income of about $60k a year I would devote my time and extra money to trying to make the world a better place.

Eh I say that now but......well that's what I like to think I'd do anyway.

As far as contemplating the $100 stick....I guess if I really had that much money to play with curiosity might get the better of me....but a more sound choice for me would be to buy an Opus or La Aurora Preferido and spend the other $85 on something mroe worthwhile..and experiment that would teach me something mroe useful about the world other than what a $100 cigar tastes like.

#1, it's my money and I will spend on what I want, ok, I'll spend it on what my wife wants actually. :) I work relatively hard for my money, ok, really I don't work all that hard since I'm sitting here posting on this forum all day, everday. But, that's not the point, or is it. Hell, I don't know, I'm lost now. Let's just say that I have and probably will do it again soon, spent more than $100 on a single cigar. Bought 1492s for $250+ at least once. Spent $176 for a Cubatabacco 25th at the LOL Herf auction. Davidoff Dom Perignons, which I will be smoking at the Holiday Herf, BTW, go for $250 or more. It's all relative, or something like that. :)

On the other it reminds me of something I studied in an ethics of business class about economic justice.

How can you justify spending $100 on a cigar when there are people in the world that barely have enough to eat? If you're not a globalist, then people in the US with not enough to eat?

That $100 to a poor family might mean food for a week. That $100 to a rich person means 2 hours of smoking enjoyment.

This is why I have an extremely bad attitude about our wonderful educational institutions who spew this bull$hit under the guise of an academic course when in fact it is left-wing propaganda.

Never mind, I WILL NOT get political here.

Botton line is:
#1, it's my money and I will spend on what I want

Again, this is a great cigar site and those of you who know me know I'd love to go on a political rant here but I'll save that for CA, CW, CF or GNESMOKEOUT and keep this place clean which is why this is the best cigar site going.

People should be free to spend as little or as much on anything in the world they want to, THEY have the right to do that and not have some college professor or some world-beatin, do-goodin "I know what's better for you than you do" person making them feel guilty by smoking a $250.00 cigar.

Lumberg said:
Damn, CI is selling Partagas 150 Don Ramons for $100 a stick, or $795 for 10.

I mean people smoke some nice cigars on here but $100 for one stick of tobacco...you have to be kidding!
Bought one, smoked one, $40, very mild, not bad, not worth it. Just my $40... :D

coventrycat86 said:

This is why I have an extremely bad attitude about our wonderful educational institutions who spew this bull$hit under the guise of an academic course when in fact it is left-wing propaganda.

Never mind, I WILL NOT get political here.

Botton line is:
#1, it's my money and I will spend on what I want

Again, this is a great cigar site and those of you who know me know I'd love to go on a political rant here but I'll save that for CA, CW, CF or GNESMOKEOUT and keep this place clean which is why this is the best cigar site going.

People should be free to spend as little or as much on anything in the world they want to, THEY have the right to do that and not have some college professor or some world-beatin, do-goodin "I know what's better for you than you do" person making them feel guilty by smoking a $250.00 cigar.
Lets leave politics (especially the rhetoric)out of it, I'm more of a philosophy kind of guy.

You and Matt R are the flipside. Without free enterprise and individuals who desire the kind of income to afford $200 cigars our country and the economy woudl be ****.

Perhaps I came off as a little preachy. It takes all kinds, both nauseatingly preachy do-gooders, and unapologetic greedy SOBs, to make the world work. Not that anyone on this thread or site is either of those.

Lumberg said:
individuals who desire the kind of income
I just knock over the local liquor store whenever I get the urge to buy an expensive one. :)

:: cracks his knuckles ::

Sorry Lumberg but you hit some sore spots with me on this post. First off let me explain you are more than free to have your own opinion, but you will also have to note that expressing them will grate on some people's nerves - like mine.

"How can you justify spending $100 on a cigar when there are people in the "world that barely have enough to eat? If you're not a globalist, then people in the US with not enough to eat?"

WTF has starving people in Ethopia have anything to do with me smoking a GD cigar or how I spend MY money I earn?????? As for here in the US there are food banks, churches, wel fare, corporate welfare that can and do take care of those who truly need the help.

"That $100 to a poor family might mean food for a week. That $100 to a rich person means 2 hours of smoking enjoyment."

As a "poor man" I get so tired of that idealistic, communistic, bull****. The only person responsible for me being poor is me - not "the man" and definately not rich men (and women).

"If I could get a guaranteed income of about $60k a year I would devote my time and extra money to trying to make the world a better place."

I'm gonna call bull**** that you will. If you were really that concerned about making the world a better place you would already be doing it. How do I know this? Simple, there are people poorer than you who are already doing it through service, through charity, through volunteering, through a 101 things that can make this a better place without you contributing more than $10.

When I see BS like that I think of a selfish, self centered, lazy person without enough ambition to better their lives so they tear down those who have been successful in their lives and worked for it - why? Because they feel like somehow they are owed something - at the very least equality of living that the rich have.

This may "not" apply to you, but your rehortic above is classic lines from people like that - on the positive side of the coin it could be those who someone how feel guilty for being better off than another person - though honestly I look at that more as insecurity that they fear they too will end up like that.

So before you go preaching again get off your duff and show us your living by it instead of preaching it.

Sam

To put it very simply, F**k the money. If you really interested in doing some good for the poor, donate your time. If you want to get into it pm me, I'll let you know how the"poor" really live. If you think you really know take a drive through WVA coal country.

Enough Guys! If we are going down this feakin road again, please do it in PM. It's not the people involved I'm talking about here, but if some are going to get bent, let's do the PM thing. I'm getting sooo tired of reading arguments in a thread. It's just not the place for it. Make it private!

Thanks for reading my mini rant.

Joe

JoeInvest said:
Enough Guys! If we are going down this feakin road again, please do it in PM. It's not the people involved I'm talking about here, but if some are going to get bent, let's do the PM thing. I'm getting sooo tired of reading arguments in a thread. It's just not the place for it. Make it private!

Thanks for reading my mini rant.

Joe
Actually, I see good points on each side, and I don't see to much arguing. At the same time I agree let's not turn it nto more flames. If people can agree to disagree, then all is fine.

Emo

By the way, just so that some people don't feel too picked on, I get a knee jerk reaction like that when some rich guy tries to say that poor people have no right to smoke cigars - especially the expensive ones that some people save up for ;)

Sam (who really is going back to eating his popcorn :sign: )

SamGuss said:
By the way, just so that some people don't feel too picked on, I get a knee jerk reaction like that when some rich guy tries to say that poor people have no right to smoke cigars - especially the expensive ones that some people save up for ;)

Sam (who really is going back to eating his popcorn :sign: )
LOL... I have met a couple pretentious Davidoff smokers in my time. Anyways, I take home $100 bucks a day(thank god for great benefits) for doing my job. Sometimes I take time off my day job to do some side work to make extra cash. Also I get paid a little bit to referee high school soccer. This makes the 2 cigars and bottle of nice rum taste that much better. One of these days I am going to get me a handfull of those $100 cigars and smoke me a couple. I betcha those cigars taste 10 times better for me than they do for the rich guy.

Emo

"One of these days I am going to get me a handfull of those $100 cigars and smoke me a couple. I betcha those cigars taste 10 times better for me than they do for the rich guy."

I guarantee that LOL. Heck I feel that way about a lot of my high end shelf smokes, that I probably enjoy and appreciate them a lot more than someone who can afford several boxes of the same cigars. Not to say they don't enjoy them too ;) but where they buy them as everyday smokes without too much thought, it is careful planning, saving and trading to get those same cigars as a special occassion (which I try to have as often as possible LOL) smoke.

Sam