• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1900% beer tax increase in Oregon

Sad thing is. . . . they ask for 1900% increase, then after we freak out. . . agree to only 100% increase. . . and then we feel lucky :angry:

Sad indeed. The only answer I have would violate our political postings rule.

beer tax increase

How can they even consider doing something like this??

That is damn ridiculous, but you know this isn't the first or last sin tax to hike during this economic downturn.

Not to come to the defense of increased taxation, especially on something as essential to life as beer . . . but I can't help but noticing that the microbrew guy was having a bit of trouble with math, there.

The new tax would raise $140M for state coffers but cost consumers $315M? How, exactly? Tax is tax. What he's saying is they'd add the tax to the wholesale price and then double up from there . . . which is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot because your elbow pissed you off. :rolleyes:

And then goes on to claim that a $49 per barrel tax would add $1.50 to the price of a glass. Again, while I'm not sure how big a barrel is, exactly, if barrel = keg that means he's figuring on a mere 32 glasses of beer per keg. My own memory always gets a bit fuzzy by the end of a keg party, but I'm thinking we usually get more than that at MY house.

Loading on "sin taxes" in a declining market is a sucker's bet to begin with, but bad math and histrionics don't make the case against them more credible.

~Boar

They increased the tax on beer here as well, but fortunately I live very close to Germany, so instead of buying my beer in Holland I do my beer (and liquor) shopping in Germany, Zum Wohl!

Rene

beer tax increase

How can they even consider doing something like this??

That is damn ridiculous, but you know this isn't the first or last sin tax to hike during this economic downturn.

Not to come to the defense of increased taxation, especially on something as essential to life as beer . . . but I can't help but noticing that the microbrew guy was having a bit of trouble with math, there.

The new tax would raise $140M for state coffers but cost consumers $315M? How, exactly? Tax is tax. What he's saying is they'd add the tax to the wholesale price and then double up from there . . . which is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot because your elbow pissed you off. :rolleyes:

And then goes on to claim that a $49 per barrel tax would add $1.50 to the price of a glass. Again, while I'm not sure how big a barrel is, exactly, if barrel = keg that means he's figuring on a mere 32 glasses of beer per keg. My own memory always gets a bit fuzzy by the end of a keg party, but I'm thinking we usually get more than that at MY house.

Loading on "sin taxes" in a declining market is a sucker's bet to begin with, but bad math and histrionics don't make the case against them more credible.

~Boar

2 kegs per barrel. . . and with 15 1/2 gallons in a keg. . . if you only get 32 glasses from a keg, I'm coming over to drink at your house!! :laugh:

Wow, and it didn't even start in California this time! What a surprise, seriously.

Actually, I bet they got the idea from the governator. He wants to pose a wine tax for California. No doubt now that I think about it, this did in fact originate in California. Arnold wants to setup a hefty tax on wine, so Oregon has decided to tax beer. Must have been where they got the idea. I too have a lot to say, but will hold my tongue (fingers) for obvious reasons. I bet most of us are on the same page. ;)

They're both just estimates, that's why they differ. It's only an increase of 5 cents per pint.

The problem is that it's a first level tax and it's subject to other tax multipliers along the way. The senators estimate that to be 3 fold to 15 cents.

From the brewers perspective, this cost is going to get kicked on everywhere because bars/stores charge unbelievable markups on alcohol. How much is a keg of Widmer's? Now how many pints is that times what they're charging. astronomical. He's taking the 49 bucks and multiplying it by some massive markup these guys all want.

In any case, it's going to decrease beer consumption, which is why it's going to cost the industry bucks, here's the line from the bill:

Whereas research, the Governor¢s Statewide Leadership Team for Alcohol-Free Kids and the
Governor¢s Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs show that increasing alcohol taxes reduces
access to and availability of alcohol to underage drinkers

Now that I think about it, I wonder what the price of a barrel was before this, 50 bucks? 100 bucks? I wonder if this is essentially doubling the cost of beer to the bar?

Sad indeed. The only answer I have would violate our political postings rule.

I was going to say the very same thing. Guess we're on the same page, Bruce.

Wow, and it didn't even start in California this time! What a surprise, seriously.

Actually, I bet they got the idea from the governator. He wants to pose a wine tax for California. No doubt now that I think about it, this did in fact originate in California. Arnold wants to setup a hefty tax on wine, so Oregon has decided to tax beer. Must have been where they got the idea. I too have a lot to say, but will hold my tongue (fingers) for obvious reasons. I bet most of us are on the same page. ;)

Rod provided my obligatory non-political response to Bruce. :)

We need a new party. They both suck. On the bright side, the news in MN is that they may remove our stupid 'Blue Law' of no alcohol sales on Sunday. Nothing in the near future on alcohol taxes.

This tax will seriously hurt Oregon's craft beer industry if it passes. Not looking forward to paying more per pint.

I`m surprised they haven`t started taxing oxygen yet... Beer you can stop drinking...

ridiculous!

Here in PA we are lucky enough to be paying a tax for relief of the Johnstown flood..................

of 1936 ( I think I am right on the year ). Once a tax is applied, they never seem to take them back.