• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1997 Partagas Culebra ISOM

SamGuss

Just completed an all-ISOM trade (my first such) and man o man did I get back some smokes! Well, one of them was a 1997 Partagas Culebra and was my first culebra to smoke ever - domestic or ISOM.

The twisted, malliable and light cigar had a slightly rugged look yet the lightness and smoothness of this aged cigar didn't feel rough at all but rather pampered, which undoubtedly it has been. The light and initial draw suprised me on how easy it lit and how fast the draw was. Barely a puff in and I was covered in a volume of smoke that threatened to overwhelm me until I realized how gentle the smoke was really.

After that it was a small learning curve on finding out how slow you had to smoke this cigar. The tastes of it reminded me of a silky, sweet peppers with a minty aftertaste that numbed my lips slightly and as I smoked the cigar down, spread to the roof of my mouth and the back of my throat. Smoked too fast though between puffs, and the hotter smoke caused a spicy pepper with an aftertaste of dirty tobacco rolled into the ground too much. Luckily the light consturction of this cigar made recovery of a too hot of a draw simple and just as fast. The result was, with a couple of exceptions on the too hot of a draw, the majority of this cigar smoked awesome in the taste category. The key point for this cigar was to smoke it slowly - even slower thanI have found to be "normal" and slower even than a Short Story.

A side effect though of this slow smoking did mean that I had to relight the cigar a couple of times during the course of this cigar, but just as with the initial light, was easy and fast with little trouble at all. I referenced earlier about the sheer volume of smoke this cigar put out - way past much larger ring and stoutier cigars, yet the smoke wasn't harsh at all and the draw was lighter than that of a cigarette.

I gave this cigar a 87 and definately would smoke another one any day.

Sam

P.S. Princess was a prude with this cigar, taking one sniff and then arrogantly stalking away. My youngest cat, Leo - a full blodded Maine Coon, like it however and for the first time in weeks sat near me as I smoked it.

Picky damn cats :p

SamGuss said:
Picky damn cats :p
You can own a dog, but you can only feed a cat.

Nice review Sam. I think these cigars are quite good especially for a machine made. Last year at Christmas I took one home to Florida with me and shared it with my brother and father while we were boiling shrimp and grilling oysters.

Are you sure this was from 1997?? I don't think they made the culebras that were not custom rolled in 1997.

Matt R said:
Are you sure this was from 1997?? I don't think they made the culebras that were not custom rolled in 1997.
That is what was marked on the individual baggie it came in and considering the source it would not suprise me if this was a custom roll. It was from one of the big traders at CF - which is full of world-wide travelers and Cuba visitors who have private stashes, custom cigars and have an annual budget of cigars that more than a years worth of house payments for most of us guys.

It could also be a mistake. I don't know enough about ISOM's to say whether it was or not, but I do trust the source and so am assuming that if this particular cigar wasn't mass produced, then it was a cutom job, which means this was also my first custom-made cigar as well :love:

Sam

great review sam!!!
i will be looking to try a culebra!

I have a couple Drew Estate Natural culubras on the way in a cigar bid order. I hope they turn out even half that good. I have been looking at ISOMs a lot today and since it's machine made the Partagas culubras are really decent in price. Like $3 each I think it was and sold in groups of three. Two different sites I seen them

Very nice review Sam.

A custom rolled would not be wrapped in foil and would be long filler, handmade, as opposed to the machine made ones. They are usually wrapped arpound both ends of the twist with strips of tobacco instead of twine. They are also usually bigger in size. I'm almost positive that they didn't make these again until late '99 or 2000. At any rate, nice review!

Thanks for your tips Matt. Quite frankly I couldn't tell you what end is which at this point, but I will definately keep your points in the back of my mind if I get another cigar along these lines. In any case, I went with what was marked on the baggie, and it was a good cigar and thanks for the compliment on my review! :)

Sam