• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

20 cigars a day!

jacknife

And I thought my 3-4 cigars a day was a lot! :0 Here's a true botl!

Ulysses S. Grant was said to smoke 20 cigars a day. His habit increased during the Civil War, after the Battle at Fort Donelson in Tennessee in mid-February 1862. As he later told General Horace Porter, "I had been a light smoker previous to the attack on Donelson .... In the accounts published in the papers, I was represented as smoking a cigar in the midst of the conflict; and many persons, thinking, no doubt, that tobacco was my chief solace, sent me boxes of the choicest brands .... As many as ten thousand were soon received. I gave away all I could get rid of, but having such a quantity on hand I naturally smoked more than I would have done under ordinary circumstances, and I have continued the habit ever since."

10 thousand....now that's a heck of a bomb!

Might want to check out Al Kaltman's Cigars, Whiskey, and Winning: Leadership lessons from Ulysses S. Grant. It's more of a book that would be a requirement for some MBA course than a history one. It runs along the lines of how he made his decisions and examines his strengths and weaknesses as a leader. While it's not a history of cigars book, I've read more than a few parts of it where cigars figure quite prominently in the reading. :thumbs:

Seizure said:
they had cigars?
[snapback]159427[/snapback]​

Better believe they did!. The Mayans smoked "cigars" in that they wrapped the tobacco in larger leaves of palm, maize, and other plants. The cigar as we all know it came from Spain. Sevilla was the Havana of it's era. Even today, the Cuban government honors Spain's treaty to allow Cuba to grow their own tobacco in the early 1830s by sending the best Cohibas and Trinidads to Spain for consumption. :cool:

For cryin out loud, where do you get this stuff. I bow to you sir, as a walkin talkin freekin CeeGar IN-Cyclo-Pee-Dia. :laugh: :0 :p

Hey, this would be the perfect thread for me to ask my most burning, unanswered question so far:

Considering cigars were around for a long time, before hygrometers and temperature controlled humidors, how and for how long do you guys think cigars were held onto before being smoked back then? Someone gave an answer that aged cigars were not much in fashion back then, and that people smoked them immediately after rolling. I wondered a lot about this especially since the Southern regions of the cigar world are hot and wet....

Kento said:
Hey, this would be the perfect thread for me to ask my most burning, unanswered question so far:

Considering cigars were around for a long time, before hygrometers and temperature controlled humidors, how and for how long do you guys think cigars were held onto before being smoked back then? Someone gave an answer that aged cigars were not much in fashion back then, and that people smoked them immediately after rolling. I wondered a lot about this especially since the Southern regions of the cigar world are hot and wet....
[snapback]159631[/snapback]​

I've read a few "cigar history" type books, none of which have commented on this, though I believe people probably did hold onto them for quite awhile. Here's why-the composer Franz Liszt traveled with many double-walled cedar boxes filled with cigars. If society at large didn't understand the need for humidication and smoked them right after production, then I don't understand why this guy would go to the trouble of finding a somewhat esoteric wood to store his cigars in. My favorite story about him deals with the end of his life. When he was in his last years, he joined the monastery, but not before obtaining permission from the man in charge of it that he could continue his cigar habit. The church relented and he was able to puff away and pontificate on all matters, secular and theological in nature. You also have to consider that some areas of the caribbean are virtual humidors, with optimal 60-70 rph days and very few 50 degree and rph days in between.

The Idea for Drew Estates-Na came from an ancient tribe that used dried banana peals as wrapper. Although do to humidity they did not keep. Imagine fireing into that bad boy sitting around A fire ;)