• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

20 years ago today...

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Twenty years ago today, the space shuttle Challenger blew up after take off.

I was watching it live while pulling CQ in my Unit's barracks. A day I'll never forget.

photo_shuttle_Challenger_STS-51-L_launch_original_800x600.jpg

challengercrewbrowse7zl.jpg

R.I.P.

I was watching it in the school yard from Melbourne Florida. As a 10 year old child watching something like that I just could not understand. I remember not knowing what happened until I got home and watched the news. The horror stories that came out after the tragedy stick with me till this day. For those not familiar with Melbourne it is practically a neighbor to Kennedy Space Center.

DevilsMilk said:
I was watching it in the school yard from Melbourne Florida. As a 10 year old child watching something like that I just could not understand. I remember not knowing what happened until I got home and watched the news. The horror stories that came out after the tragedy stick with me till this day. For those not familiar with Melbourne it is practically a neighbor to Kennedy Space Center.
[snapback]281916[/snapback]​
I was in 6th grade and watched this from the school yard in Orlando. This will also remain ingrained in my head.
Emo

I was sitting in my 4th grade classroom watching it, did not really understand it then. However I will never forget it.

I was living in St. Pete then
I watched the launch on TV, I ran outside to look in the sky
after the explosion.

Terrible day, I'll never forget how sad that made me feel

Bill

I was living on an island in the Aleutian Chain and watch this while eating breakfast. I was in sixth grade and we watched the replay of the explosion for hours at school talking about the Challenger and its crew.

My band teacher was one the finalist for the first teacher in space. He was very affected by the explosion. This event is still deep in the memory.

I was in 5th grade..watching it in class...no one talked for 15 minutes...

I remember my time glued to the AV ( audio visual ) set in my academy in Puerto Rico-

That was the day after I was born. My parents watched it in the hospital.

Its hard to believe it was 20 years ago. I was 19 then and watching this on TV at the time. This was awfull. I will never forget that time.

I was 6 years old Watching from Cocoa Beach. I remember it being very scary the FBI/authorities came and shut down the beaches for about 2 weeks. They collected every single piece that washed up on the shore. Very sad RIP

Cocao Beach

I was in 8th grade, standing in the hallway after recess when they announced it over the loadspeaker. We watched it on TV the rest of the day. It's the first "big event" that's stuck in my memory. It was even more real to me because my old neighbor's sister (Kathy Sullivan) was involved with the space program.