• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2009 Nissan Altima

tsmckenney

Mick
Fellas, I don't have time to piss around. Wife needs a car and only has a couple days. We've done a ton of research, we've driven a bunch of cars, we're going with an Altima. It can be a 2006 - 2009.

Here's the deal. I know this is a good time to get a car. We could have walked away with a 2009 for $18k today. That was the list after manufacturer rebates and all that. He wouldn't do anything else with the price. So, we walked. I'm not an expert at this game, and what a f'ng game it can be.

What could I get this car for? That's what I want to know. Given the market, what's the best price/deal I could get?

2nd question: How much can I expect to bargain off of the list price of a used Altima? Example: 2006 Altima, 25k miles, lot of options, $15,995. What would you expect to pay for that car?

$18,000 for an Altima sounds amazing. IIRC, my parents threw down a little less than that for a brand new 2006 Honda Civic, which is, well, entry-level. What options/features did the Altima have?

According to KBB, a four-door 2009 Nissan Altima S sedan with the 2.5L I-4 carries an MSRP of $22,260.00; the invoice price isn't listed, however, and I'm not the expert on purchasing brand new cars. As for a used 2006 Altima, you'd have to input the specific model and features in KBB to figure out a decent price.

2nd question: How much can I expect to bargain off of the list price of a used Altima? Example: 2006 Altima, 25k miles, lot of options, $15,995. What would you expect to pay for that car?

I threw in some of your criteria (2006 Nissan Altima S, sedan, standard options, 25,000 miles) and the price for a car in "excellent" condition comes to $12,715.

Engine size, trim, and sedan/coupe will weigh heavily, as will transmission and various other options. Specify!

Anyways, I'll step aside for a more seasoned car purchasing expert to provide input.

$18,000 for an Altima sounds amazing. IIRC, my parents threw down a little less than that for a brand new 2006 Honda Civic, which is, well, entry-level. What options/features did the Altima have?

According to KBB, a four-door 2009 Nissan Altima S sedan with the 2.5L I-4 carries an MSRP of $22,260.00; the invoice price isn't listed, however, and I'm not the expert on purchasing brand new cars. As for a used 2006 Altima, you'd have to input the specific model and features in KBB to figure out a decent price.

I threw in some of your criteria (2006 Nissan Altima S, sedan, standard options, 25,000 miles) and the price for a car in "excellent" condition comes to $12,715.

Engine size, trim, and sedan/coupe will weigh heavily, as will transmission and various other options. Specify!

Anyways, I'll step aside for a more seasoned car purchasing expert to provide input.

Engine size is a 2.5L. Basic options, wife actually doesn't like leather seats.

Bruce, I do drive a Cooper. So, my argument is soft.... :laugh:

Are you getting rid of the Mini? Shame, that looked like a fun car.

Prices are all going to depend on options. I think if you got a price of $18k for an '09 and it was a V6, that's a hell of a deal. Go to Edmunds.com to get some ideas of prices in your local markets.

EDIT: You typed while I was typing. :laugh:

Are you getting rid of the Mini? Shame, that looked like a fun car.

Prices are all going to depend on options. I think if you got a price of $18k for an '09 and it was a V6, that's a hell of a deal. Go to Edmunds.com to get some ideas of prices in your local markets.

Hell no, not getting rid of the Cooper. Wifey trashed her Jetta. Don't need a V6, these 2.5L are quick as hell.

x2 on Edmunds. They got great info. Also if all the savings from the list price is only due to manufacturer incentives/rebates, then they should to be able to do better. You should be able to negotiate a fair price (Edmunds' great resource for this), and then subtract incentives/rebates for your final price. If you have multiple dealerships in your area, play them off on each other. In these times I would think you should be able to find someone who will sell to you near their invoice price (then subtract rebates etc..).

I was reading an article a while back on Edmunds? about a writer who went undercover as a car salesman.

If I do recall correctly, he mentioned people contacting the fleet manager directly and buying cars at invoice price--no more. Perhaps you could take a look into that?

Edit: If you weren't aware (I'm sure you are), car salesmen make money off of the amount you pay above invoice price; chances are you'll be paying more if you negotiated with a salesman.

That's a pretty damn good deal for an 09. I had an 05 SE and loved it. Only thing I hated was that it wasn't that great in the snow or rain due to its sporty upgrades.

Personally I tend to stray away from any used vehicles. For a little more I'd rather pay for a brand new one. When you consider the slightly higher rate on a used vehicle it pays to buy new with a low rate.

Depends on your priorities ... obviously plusses and minuses to either; a new car with fewer options, or save a few bucks and go with a used car with more extras.

Nissans have been a great cars for me.

I bought my first Maxima new, and beat 160K miles in about 7 years ... was a great car (never really had a problem with it). My second Maxima, I decided since I was using it as a commuter car, I wanted to save a few bucks, I bought a lease turn-in with about 35K miles, and 5 years later, still a great, trouble free car.

Good luck.

The Edmunds article on the guy who went undercover as a car salesman is half BS, and half horrible experience. I've been in the car business for over 10 years, and have had every job in a store.

This is a time you can buy a car for under invoice, and most manufacturers have factory to dealer incentives that you'll never hear about (Suzuki recently had $5000 per car, KIA was doing something close as well).

Are you planning on keeping this car for more than 2-3 years?

I'd be happy to help you out with your purchase, shoot me a PM.

Update: I've bargained a 2008 Altima S with 17K miles, listed at $16,990, down to $15,500. I would walk out the door paying $17,250 (all taxes and fees included). Car had one previous owner.

This feels like a good deal to me. Car ran very well.

The 2008 Altima S is a very good car. The price looks good too, but how much warranty are getting?

Check NADA.com, KBB.com and Intellichoice.com.

If buying used, I offer somewhere between the 'trade-in' and low 'private party' price.

Also, if you are going thru a credit union(or maybe a bank), contact them and ask for the 'loan' value....sometimes that's around or lower than tradein....sometimes higher.

EX. you could get a loan for over the asking price and pocket some money...if the loan value is higher than the sale value...and you are buying from a relative. :whistling:

The 2008 Altima S is a very good car. The price looks good too, but how much warranty are getting?

Warranty will include the 36 months/36,000 everything; 60 mos/60,000 powertram; and Nissan's certified 7 years/100,000 powertram. My research has shown you can't get anything better than this.

My wife will drive it tomorrow am and I would guess this will be a done deal after that.

Thanks a bunch guys.