• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2012 in review

SkyKing

Thanks to the BOTL here ar CP, I enjoyed many fine cigars in 2012. In fact, I haven't written much lately, partly because I've been busy smoking up my inventory. I went through over 20 boxes of cigars last year with the help of a few friends. I also was able to sample many, many fine cigars acquired through the Newbie trade, some private trades and the Secret Santa program. (Thanks again, Santa)

Some of the sticks I really enjoyed included Arturo Fuente Opux X, King B's, Sungrowns, Best Sellers, Short stories. I also smoked at least one each of every cigar made by the Padron family.

I also fondly recall Eddy Ortega's series D; a custom smoke from the W.C. Draper shop; La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet Chisel; Partagás Serie E No. 2; and Oliva Serie G, O and V;  Alec Bradley Prensado (last years CA pick of the year); La Duena; Drew's Undercrown Corona Viva's, a box of TAT little monsters and TTT Trinidad Habana Reserve Short Churchill.

What did I learn?

• For the most part, you can get some excellent, even fantastic smokes in the $6 to $12 range but you can get some very fine smokes in the $4 to $6 per stick.
  • Spend your money on newbie trades and passes than the big name online suppliers and cigar clubs.
  • Curing a cabinet humidor takes patience.
  • Some of the JR alternate brands are very decent, especially their alternate to the Monte Cristo Number 2.
  • Cigar pass brothers are the safest way to be introduced to ISOMs.
  • I love every Padron cigar. The flavor profiles are similar between all Padrons.
  • There is a sweet spot  vitola for any line. I know longer choose based on my favorite vitola (churchills). I look for the vitola with  the best rep with my BOTs for that line.
  • Great cigars always taste good but are best smoked with company
  • Some herbal teas go well with some sticks, e.g., Constant Comment but a good single malt scotch is still my goto.
  • I must now admit that there are some rums that are worth drinking straight, e.g, Zacapa XO. But they cost as much as decent Scotches.
So, as I said, I smoked about 20 boxes of cigars and I got down to just 4 sticks left in my humidor. Now, it is time to reload but I've got a lot more first hand experience in choosing my stock.

When it came time to pull the trigger for new boxes, it was surprisingly easy to choose which to first replace. It was, drum rolls please....

Padron Londres Maduro ($100)  and Oliva Serie G, Maduro ($116.00).  I wasn't acquainted with either until I joined CP last winter. However, I'll also be shortly ordering some AF Best Sellers or Short Stories, Alex Bradley Prensados, La Duenas, Drew Undercrown Corona Viva's, and when I can afford it, some Padron anniversary sticks and a few Opus X.

So, thanks brothers, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my second newbie trade and look forward to peronally trying more of your favorite, recommended sticks.

Pax

Nice recap.  Enjoy the journey...it just keeps getting better.

Awesome recap. I also enjoyed/learned much about the Padron line this year and I love the short story for my everyday short smoke!