• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

20CT Desktop Humidor

T2P

Green Horn
When I got into cigars, the first thing I did was set up a coolidor at 70%. Not too long after that, I found that 70% was too high for my tastes when smoking and set out to pick up a desktop humidor. I found out that my dad had gotten a 20 ct one a while back that he no longer used so was willing to part with. I set it up some time in Sept or Oct by seasoning it, calibrating the hydrometer and adding 65% heartfelt beads. It had been running at a steady 65% until within the last month or so with a full stock of sticks. At about that time it bagan to drop dramatically as the temps went up (down to 50% within a week).

I recalibrated to start and my Xikar was still spot on. I tried the dollar bill test and the whoosh test and it failed both. I also took a strip of scotch tape and ran that around the entire seal (bottom portion that fits into the lid), which softened the fall of the lid but it still does not five a solid whoosh. I have resoaked the beads so more than %80 of them are clear and that has caused a spike but not held. The last time I sprayed the beads, the RH spiked to 90 (ok that was a little rediculous on my part) and within 4 days it had dropped to 60%. I cannot find any visible cracks and the humidor does not sit in the sun.

If someone has any more ideas (not sure where to find Sailmaker's wax locally [Hudson, WI]) I would be much obliged, otherwise I am willing to accept this one as unusable. If that is the case, however, I am wondering if you would be able to provide suggestions for reasonably priced, functional desktop humidors. Honestly, it does not need to be showy so if you think a tupperador will make for a decent semi-long term solution I am all ears. Just looking for input.

Try re-seasoning it...and check the Hygro's battery.

I will try doing that tonight. Just curious, is it common to need to reseason a humidor within a 6 month to year timeframe if I am adding a couple of sprays each time it drops below the desired percent?

Try re-seasoning it...and check the Hygro's battery.

I will try doing that tonight. Just curious, is it common to need to reseason a humidor within a 6 month to year timeframe if I am adding a couple of sprays each time it drops below the desired percent?

No, you shouldn't have to reason often....or at all. But something may have happened.

Just a suggestion - the first thing I'd consider doing. Keep it simple.

Once you season you humidor and keep it properly humid, you shouldn't have to re-season it again unless you stop using it or let the humidity slip. When I mean slip, I mean like completely forget about it for a while to the point where it is almost bone dry inside.

Since the problems sprung up after the temperature and RH% started climbing, I suspect that it warped and lost it's ability to seal.

I let the humi sit for a few days and it is now at 90%. I removed the shot glass of distilled water and am going to let it sit empty for a few days to get back down to the 70% mark. I plan on adding some smokes at that point to see if it can remain stable.

Well despite reseasoning, calibrating, checking the battery, and adding about 15-20 smokes the humi is still loosing humidity. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

A new humidor at this point is good advice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money...go the tupperdor route.

Yea I have been debating the tupperador but still not too sure how the wife will like it. We will see.

I have been having some similar issues since the weather got warmer. Mine will hold at 66% for about a week, then will drop to 61-62% in about 2-3 weeks. Is this normal?

I have been having some similar issues since the weather got warmer. Mine will hold at 66% for about a week, then will drop to 61-62% in about 2-3 weeks. Is this normal?

Mine does the same thing; I'm just increasing the humidification level and will see what it does. If my humi drops to 60% or so for a few days, its not the end of the world.

Im fairly new to the heartfelt beads does it have anything to do with the fact that he soaked them way too much? I thought i read somewhere this is bad for the beads and can cause them to crack and not function properly?

Thanks for the input Stewshi. Interesting thought that should be addressed.

I did, however, use new beads once I set up the during the reseasoning process.