• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

30+ Year old Don Diego cigars

Bounc3r

So my grandfather gave me this old box of Don Diego cigars, he says he got these sometime in the 80's in Dominican Republic. They were stored under his basement (kind of like a cold room but with sand floors). It was definitely not the ideal cigar storage area. They are dry but not moldy, you think there is something to do with these or do I just throw them out?

Thanks!

Attachments

• dondiego1.jpg
    dondiego1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • dondiego2.jpg
    dondiego2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 10
I would try and bring them back up to humidity slowly as not to crack the wrappers if they aren't already. It's going to take awhile if they are bone dry. And chances are they will not have much flavor if they sat dry for all that time. But... what else ya gonna do? I say experiment. Start with 49% for a couple of weeks then move up to mid 50's then 60's. Good luck.

I would try and bring them back up to humidity slowly as not to crack the wrappers if they aren't already. It's going to take awhile if they are bone dry. And chances are they will not have much flavor if they sat dry for all that time. But... what else ya gonna do? I say experiment. Start with 49% for a couple of weeks then move up to mid 50's then 60's. Good luck.
Perfect! Ill try that.

I would also put a hygrometer in that basement, if you can, and see what the % is. If it's below 60% they are probably gone. Pass them out to the in laws at Christmas. :cool:
Yeah definitely under 60%, winter here gets really dry.

Yeah definitely under 60%, winter here gets really dry.
Here too but my basement is a stone foundation and it stays pretty damp/humid down there even when it's cold.

It's worth a try to stick a cheap hygrometer down there? Do the salt test first so you know if you can trust the hygrometer.