• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

35 Best BBQ Ribs

golfgar

Bueller.... Bueller...... Anyone....... Anyone?
http://www.thedailymeal.com/americas-35-best-ribs/5514

The slide show lists the top ribs in America per Dan Myers. 

Many moons ago Tony-NY and I ate at, Oklahoma Joe's (Dan Myers' favorite), and we supposedly missed out on the dish the local guys at the Outlaw cigar store in KC said was really the best thing to get at OK Joe's.....the french fries.  My suspicion of Dan Myers' ranking stems from that fact.  If the local guys value the French fries higher than the BBQ something might be amiss.  I would have to say the BBQ in general at OK Joe's is very good, but the best in America?  Not sure about that.  I have two children attending college in KC and am over there frequently.  I have been in search of the best BBQ in KC. Many of the people in KC have a favorite local BBQ place not listed in Dan Myers' top 35.  I have been to all of those on the list and a few more.  If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome the suggestions and will try them. 

I live in KC and I put Oklahoma Joes right towards the top of the list. Easily in my top 2-3.

Everyone knows the best ribs are made in gas stations, so I would concur with the OK Joe's.  They're certainly the best I've had.  There was a guy from St. Louis on one of the BBQ Pitmasters show that had a restaurant in St. Louis that I'd like to try, but I can't remember the name of it or the owner.  I do get a little suspicious when I see ribs smothered in BBQ sauce and touted as the Top 35 though. 

We have an Oklahoma Joe's here and I love the burnt ends.  If you're ever in Tulsa, you really need to eat at Burn Co.  They smoke everything out of Hasty Bakes and it's incredibly good.

Happy plate:

IMG_0300.jpg

Their smoked fatty is incredible:

ls.jpg

Not a bad list. Some friends and I were recently in Colorado helping on their new runway and we visited "Joes Montana Grill" I believe is what it was called.

Fantastic food! Though the best bbq is always homemade. Best I've ever had is a little place in Jacksonville, FL called toby's. If you're ever in the area ask the locals where it is, you won't be disappointed!

MoeCizlak said:
Everyone knows the best ribs are made in gas stations, so I would concur with the OK Joe's.  They're certainly the best I've had.  There was a guy from St. Louis on one of the BBQ Pitmasters show that had a restaurant in St. Louis that I'd like to try, but I can't remember the name of it or the owner.  I do get a little suspicious when I see ribs smothered in BBQ sauce and touted as the Top 35 though. 
I agree with the smothered in sauce comment. One of the places on the list is Twin Anchors and I have been going there since about 1980 on trips to Chicago. Their ribs are fall off the bone style, almost like they are braised, then they ladle on sauce. While the ribs are indeed good the sauce doesn't necessarily make them jump to the top of the list. They are still good however.

I too agree with the sauce smothered nonsense. I saw Dreamland was #3, I was in Alabama a couple of weeks ago and had their ribs. Lots of sauce, I thought they were just ok. We have a couple of "hole in the wall" places here in Knoxville that I like quite a bit better.

Bsneed51 said:
I live in KC and I put Oklahoma Joes right towards the top of the list. Easily in my top 2-3.
The Wabash in Excelsior Spring is #1 for ribs. You should know better ;) .

We have two 17th Street Bar and Grills in the area my kids live, so I've had them many times and they are fantastic.  The Blue Gill there is fabulous as well.

I do have to say, I really like Erick's ribs as well.

The list is incomplete, because mine are not on it! I concur with you fellows on the sauce. I don't use any while smoking mine, or serve them with any. Have never had a sould ask for sauce with them either. My only exception is the rare occasion I decide to grill some ribs. I do baste them a little with a homemade beer bbq sauce then.
B

Here in CC, the local Rudy's does a falling off the bone unsauced baby back that's pretty epic on a good day, but I have to admit, my favorite local rib is P.F. Chang's Korean style short ribs.  Those are just amazing!

~Boar

I have to make that trip again! Love BBQ of all kinds, I do love texas brisket style it's all good!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11846]

Had to make an emergency rib trip to KC.  Woodyard ribs.  Very nice indeed.