• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

350z(2005) Convertible top replacement....anybody ever do it?

grateful1

Oh My!
Like the title says...have you done it?

I may be ordering one this week and installing it on a friends ride.

Looking for some feedback on the install - or should they have it done at an upholstery shop?

grateful1 said:
Like the title says...have you done it? I may be ordering one this week and installing it on a friends ride. Looking for some feedback on the install - or should they have it done at an upholstery shop?
Hmmmmmm.... is this the 2005 Nissan 350z in gray with black interior and navi?

grateful1 said:
Not all aftermarket replacement tops are created equal, especially if you plan to do it yourself.
If it was my ride, I would do the proper research, spend more $$$ to get a higher quality top and do the work myself.
In this case, I would go talk to a couple shops to get some estimates and their recommendations for what brand(s) they prefer to install or are experienced in installing. ( I would not buy a replacement top and then expect a good deal when asking a shop to install it for you...)
Is she going to keep this ride? New top installed is going to be $1200+ I would guess.

I replaced the top on my Jeep YJ. I ordered the best quality top I could find, but still needed a little tailoring. A local upholstery shop helped me out. It turned out nice with the assistance of a pro showing me few tips and a forum where I could ask questions. I tried to do as much work myself as I could on my Jeep, it turns out I really suck at painting. Otherwise, not so bad.

I did a quick check and it looks like there are resources on the web that may be useful for you. Good luck.

Man that is not a DYI job for sure. Especially if you've never done one before. 3M nailed it in post 5, but like in all things YMMV

Local shop is around $1200-1400. That's the route to go....thanks!

...and Joe... :p

I helped a buddy replace a top on a 3 Series BMW and it was not an easy job. We're both anal as hell about the details, so we video taped the de-install in hopes of using the info on the install. While it did help, it was still very difficult. Once we had it off, the prep to the frame is key...sanding all the glue off, and then priming and painting the frame before the install. He used a genuine BMW top and it was a perfect fit...be prepared to use a little steam and stretching to get it right around the window areas, as that was the toughest part.

We set up a laser line on the ceiling of his garage to line up with pre-measured marks we put on the new top to center it. There was a good amount of gluing and hidden wires that make the top taunt so it showed no wrinkles.

All in all, it was a pretty cool thing to do and the job came out as good as a shop would do...which is why he did it. He saw 'professional' jobs done that looked horrible with wrinkles, mis-aligned tops, and glue showing...not to mention leaks around the windows during the rain.

It can be done, just make sure you have a garage to do it in so there is no need to dodge rain drops if the weather changes during the install. It took us 3 days to complete...that included drying time for the paint and PLENTY of beer breaks to take the edge off the occasional frustration.

If it was my car, I'd pay to have it done!

I would have chosen the simple black cloth top, but if a pink cloth top on the gray 350z is your style, who am I to say?

My wife actually has the same year 350z Roadster and the top on it is in rough shape. One of our buddies is a Nissan tech and he said there was an issue with some of the Roadsters where the 5th bow of the top would tweak and slowly over time you would the top would get small holes from rubbing.  I would definitely have the framework checked out whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it.  Last thing you want is to dump that kind of money on it to watch the top eat itself to death again.

Yea. It's done. The installer said things looked ok - don't know if he speciically looked at the 5th...more an overall.
I do know the 'ribbons' or 'straps' lossen and cause issues with that bow.

It's done know and I don't believe I'll be involved with it again.

Thanks for the feedback!

:thumbs: