• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

4 different hygrometers tested. results...

Forge

I purchased four hygro meters from Amazon.com and humidorvault.com.
- Little Havana Hygrometer ($22.59)
- Caliber III Digital Humidifier & Temperature Gauge ($19.99)
- HygroSet II Adjustable Round Digital Hygrometer ($20.00)
- Analog Style Digital Hygrometer ($36.95) from humidorvault.com

I got a decent sized double Ziploc bag and got a bottle cap from my Mott's Apple Juice container. I filled the bottle cap most of the way with Morton Ionized salt and added water so it barely pooled on top. I took a paper towel and stuck just a tip in the water until there was not any water floating on the top of the salt. I placed the cap of salt and water in the Ziploc bag with all 4 hygrometers at 1030pm last night. This morning at 745am, I checked the bag and recorded the readings. I recalibrated the hygrometers that had the feature - without opening the bag and waited 4 hours (lunch Break). Here are the readings.

- Little Havana Hygrometer ($22.59)
78% RH - 78.6 degrees F
not able to calibrate - same after 4 more hours.

- Caliber III Digital Humidifier & Temperature Gauge ($19.99)
76% RH - 78.3 degrees F
not able to calibrate - same after 4 hours

- HygroSet II Adjustable Round Digital Hygrometer ($20.00)
73% RH - 78 degrees F
After calibration 75% RH and 78 degrees F

- Analog Style Digital Hygrometer ($36.95) from humidorvault.com
77% RH - 80 degrees F
After Calibration 74% RH and 80 degrees F

I am not going to comments on the manufacturers, just simply post the readings I got.

Why did I buy 4 hygrometers? I have a 300+ count display humidor that is still curing. I plan to use the Analog Style digital hygrometer at the top to replace the crappy analog one that came with the humidor and place the Caliber III on the bottom shelf to get an overall reading for the cabinet. I want to place the HygroSet II in my small 50 count humidor and use the Little Havana for my carry case humidor (6 cigars).

Thank you,

- Forge

You really don't need one in your travel case... Analogs are notoriously unreliable; stick with digital. Hygroset is what I use, not only cheap but reliable.

And wait at least 24 hours when salt-testing. :thumbs:

Derek

And wait at least 24 hours when salt-testing. :thumbs:

Hmm, I had heard 4-8 hours for salt testing. Do you think I should redo it and let them sit for 24 hours before calibration? I am tempted to throw in the analog one in the bag as well, just to see how far it is off - not that it would matter, i wouldnt use it anyways.

All 3 that I have I tested for 4-6 hours. I think you should be fine with the time you put into it... but I am no expert.

its usually 4-8 hours, but I've always done 24 just to be safe.

I've noticed these differences as well with these digi-type hygrometers. I'm working on building my own sensor at the moment to get consistently accurate readings. Funny thing is that just the hygro-temp sensor-chip alone was ~$30.00 haha. <-- that should tell you something right there.

I really prefer the analogue over digital because your not relying on someone else's algorithms to give you accurate readings. Your getting the raw data right at the heart of the action. ;) I might be willing to trust my own math though :laugh: if I ever get it finished.

If you do go with analogue, just be sure to calibrate it exactly where you want it to be. Ex. if you want it to be at 70%, calibrate your meter at 70%. If you want it to be at 60%, then calibrate it at 60%RH. If you calibrate it at 70% and change your mind to have your box at 60%, without re-calibrating, then the reading will be more off than a digital one.

The reason you don't have to calibrate the digital ones every time is because the algorithms that are in the chips compensate that for you.

Understand you did the Analog for looks but why buy 3 different types of Digital Hygros? Why wouldn't you go with one type so your consistency is the same and your settings are all similar? Just seems like you give yourself a higher probability for success if you use one type.

Good luck with it,

R

Understand you did the Analog for looks but why buy 3 different types of Digital Hygros? Why wouldn't you go with one type so your consistency is the same and your settings are all similar? Just seems like you give yourself a higher probability for success if you use one type.

Good luck with it,

R

He probably wanted to get an idea of which of them were more accurate than the others. Just my assumption though.

Good luck with it,

R

He probably wanted to get an idea of which of them were more accurate than the others. Just my assumption though.

Mostly wanted to see the differences in function, aesthetics and accuracy. As my dad always said; "If your going to do something, do it right the first time or dont do it at all."

I plan to send the LittleHavana one back (not accurate enough for my taste) and get another HygroSet II in my desktop humidor. I will use the Caliber III for a backup and trips out of town in my carry case. The analog style one was purely for looks.

Overall, the HygroSet II impressed me - Small, accurate, adjustable and cheap.

This has sparked an idea for me, thanks.

It's always best to have too much data, rather than not enough.

thanks again,

Good luck with it,

R

Mostly wanted to see the differences in function, aesthetics and accuracy. As my dad always said; "If your going to do something, do it right the first time or dont do it at all."

I plan to send the LittleHavana one back (not accurate enough for my taste) and get another HygroSet II in my desktop humidor. I will use the Caliber III for a backup and trips out of town in my carry case. The analog style one was purely for looks.

Overall, the HygroSet II impressed me - Small, accurate, adjustable and cheap.

Sorry if I came off critical... I'm a grizzled old Military guy who lives by the K.I.S.S. theology on life...it's my religion :thumbs: :D :thumbs:

Nice comparison test.

My Little Havana 'Perfecto' hygro is spot on.
I use it in my super premium humidor.

I also have a HygroSet adjustable for my Vinotemp,
and two Don Salvatore mini units.(which aren't
very accurate or consistent with each other)

A friend of mine has a Csonka hygro with a nice
feature. It buzzes when the rh goes out of a range
that the user sets.

Chemyst :cool: