• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

4 Questions from a newbie!

Hey!

I'm a fairly new cigar smoker (less than a year) and have only been a member of the CP for a few months. But, out of all the cigar communities this one by far is the best! I learned alot by reading numerous posts but, I still have a few questions. If there stupid give me a break...remember I'm a newbie!!!!

Question 1:

I've been told and have read that a cigar that is squared due to box pressure is a flaw. Squared stick....flaw or not flaw???

Question 2:

It is OK for my cigars that are not the same brand to touch each other while there resting in my humidor???

Question 3:

When cigars are reviewed there are sometimes described as complex and interesting. What does that mean??? (I'm not talkin about reviews on here you guys give alittle more info that)

Question 4:

I've done few trades on here with guys and I'm ready for my first PASS. But, I've noticed that alot of the sticks are usually full bodied, hard to find or ISOM's. Most of my sticks are mild to medium and there's nothing really special about them. I have one St. Luis Rey ISOM (thanks...cigarsarge) but, other than that my sticks you can find in any tobacco shop. So, I guess my question is can I particpate or should I wait untill I get some variety in my humidor???

Thanks.....

Brad

1. If a cigar looks square, it was probably pressed to look that way. No flaw.

2. It IS okay for cigars of different brands to touch each other. The discussion of "marrying" has been played out. I believe the consensus is that it makes no difference.

3. "Interesting and complex" is a developed description. Personally, its only after you've smoked a good number before you realize the complexity of a cigar. Granted, if you smoke nothing but one-dimensional cigars, this realization may never occur. Also keep in mind, a good portion of what you taste is mental. Some people smoking the exact same cigar will give you many different taste profiles.

4. Depends on the pass. Some are high-end. Some are open. Some are ISOMs only. Just contact the host prior to joining and talk it out with them.

Hope this helps. :)

Brad writes:

I'm a fairly new cigar smoker (less than a year) and have only been a member of the CP for a few months. But, out of all the cigar communities this one by far is the best! I learned alot by reading numerous posts but, I still have a few questions. If there stupid give me a break...remember I'm a newbie!!!!

Question 1:

I've been told and have read that a cigar that is squared due to box pressure is a flaw. Squared stick....flaw or not flaw???

No!

Question 2:

It is OK for my cigars that are not the same brand to touch each other while there resting in my humidor???

Yes. But, I believe the jury is not out yet on this one; at least from what I have read. Something about the flavors marrying each other???

Question 3:

When cigars are reviewed there are sometimes described as complex and interesting. What does that mean??? (I'm not talkin about reviews on here you guys give alittle more info that)

To me, most cigars are complex and interesting. I'm addicted, and not to one brand.

Question 4:

I've done few trades on here with guys and I'm ready for my first PASS. But, I've noticed that alot of the sticks are usually full bodied, hard to find or ISOM's. Most of my sticks are mild to medium and there's nothing really special about them. I have one St. Luis Rey ISOM (thanks...cigarsarge) but, other than that my sticks you can find in any tobacco shop. So, I guess my question is can I particpate or should I wait untill I get some variety in my humidor???

Go to the Newbie trades!!!

Okay,

1. Not flaw, and sometimes by design. The two main ways to pacage cigars are either in a box of [usually] 25 or a cabinet [wheel] box of 50.
The cabinets have round cigars, the boxes or 25 will sometimes have slightly sqaured cigars due to the pressure of them being next to each other. So no, if a cigar is slightly boxed, not to worry, it will still smoke like a cigar.

On the other hand, some cigars are squared on purpose, they are ment to look like a square and nothing wrong with that.

2. oh my god no ! send all extras to me. :D

Yes, in almost every case they can touch and rub up on each other as much as they want.
The only prob. will be if you put a flavoured stick [Acid, Drew Estates, etc.] in with the rest, in which case the cigars nearby will start to marry and get that flav. as well.
Otherwise, it has been my experience that you can have naked cigars touching for months and they will still taste the same.

marriage is something that will happen after a good amount of time, not a week or two, or a month or two.

3. Complex means not tasting like cardboard. It is just a way to say that there are many different tastes that the smoker tasted while smoking it.

4. In regards to passes, there will always be new passes coming up, you'll be in one by the end of summer no prob.
Sometimes mild-medium sticks can be better than the full bodied ones.

example:
domestic Davidoff [med. to light] tastes a crapload better than domestic Cohibas, IMO

it is the quality of the cigar and taste that counts, not weather or not it is strong.

do not worry about not getting every stick that you want right away, instead smoke what you like, buy what you like and I am sure things will work out sooner or later. also look out for box splits, they are a great way for 5ers of some of the more 'interesting' smokes

:thumbs:

EDIT: Damn! I type too slow. When I started typing this post nobody else posted yet ???

Brad,

I'll take a crack at answering your questions.

1. A "box pressed" cigar is not a flaw (it is done on purpose). In fact some of the best constructed cigars with great draws are box pressed. Padron Anniversarios :love:

2. This one seems to be a common topic of discussion. Some people worry about the flavors "marrying" and others say it's not a problem. I would suggest keeping your best sticks seperate from the rest. Not necesarily in another humi but just not touching. Get some baggies.

3. This is just opinion. What one person finds interesting another might find repulsive. For example Ric likes cigars that have been rolled in the sweaty ass cracks of prisoners and I find that repulsive :p . I think "complex" and "interesting" can be taken to mean a taste that has many different flavors or a taste that is not "boring".

4. Don't worry about it, there are plenty of passes with "average" sticks. Passes are a fun way to get to know some of the great guys (and gals) on CP and a fun way to try some different stuff. Even if your sticks are easily obtainable from any shop some people may not have tried them and would take one from a pass to try it out. Doing a newbie trade is a great way to start getting a variety of sticks as well.

Hope this helps

Gator

sir-smokes-a-lot writes:
"The only prob. will be if you put a flavoured stick [Acid, Drew Estates, etc.] in with the rest, in which case the cigars nearby will start to marry and get that flav. as well."

Oh yes!!! Do not let the Acids get anywhere near your regular smokes.......You will have an Acid flavored nightmare on your hands!!!

If there stupid give me a break...remember I'm a newbie!!!!
No stupid questions but you may get stupid answers :p

Question 1:

not flaw

Question 2:

Just don't put Acids or Drew estate in there, I personally like to keep my cubans away from the lesser smokes (they are snobby like that)

Question 3:

Complex meaning taste profiles

Question 4:

You are in my new pass now, don't sweat it, just enjoy

Answer #1. Box-pressed cigars are not a mistake. From what I understand the old masters from pre-Castro Cuba relied on this method more than the standard circular roll we see common today.

Some of the best cigars on the market (Padron Anniversary Series for one) are so heavily box-pressed they are rectangular!

Answer #2. It is generally considered it is ok for 'nekkid' smokes of wildy different tastes to be ok next to each other. The marrying of flavors transferring from cigar to cigar can happen, but it usually takes months to years, not weeks or days.

Beware of Flavored smokes. The highly concentrated flavor additives can easily be passed to other cigars runing their flavor very quickly.

The other two questions have been explained well enough. ;)

Brad, thanks to DDD and his box pass, I know you'll have a good selection to pick from when it's your turn. Gregor

Ya, I'm really excited about this pass. I'm last but, it's going to cool to watch the plays and the progress of it!!!!

Thanks again to Triple_D!!!!

Brad