• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

40 Cigar Humidor

Crazy8

Im 110% virgin when coming to cigars. Im thinking about getting a humidor but don't see any need for anything expensive or big. Im thinking something that would hold 40 cigars or even less would be perfect. So I guess when it comes to these I have a few questions.

1. What are some good brands to look at when considering a humidor?
2. What is a good price range that wont break the bank but will do what its supposed to do well?
3. What kinds of things do I need to know in regards to having a humidor?
4. What kind of maintenance is needed for having a humidor?

I hope im not asking to many questions or obvious questions. Like I said I am completely new to this and want to know what I need to know about it. Thank you all for any of the help you may lend.

Personally after reading your intro I would say you should get a Tupperware container and a Boveda bag.   Just until you get your feet a little more wet.   Do some reading in the Humidor forum here and you'll see a lot of people who buy 50 or 100 ct humidors then regret it once they take on this hobby full time (myself included) 

Link for Boveda bags - http://www.bovedapacks.com/
As for the Tupperware, a lot of guys like the "Lock and Lock"

Edit: Added Link and Tupperware type

CB gave you he way to go. I bought a 150ct when I started and now I have two and missing space..

CBoukal said:
Personally after reading your intro I would say you should get a Tupperware container and a Boveda bag.   Just until you get your feet a little more wet.   Do some reading in the Humidor forum here and you'll see a lot of people who buy 50 or 100 ct humidors then regret it once they take on this hobby full time (myself included) 

Link for Boveda bags - http://www.bovedapacks.com/

Edit: Added Link
Well I can honestly say I would never have thought of that. So I have just now found what these BovedaPacks are. So now I have a couple other questions. What percentage pack should I get? Does it matter? Also, and this may sound completely silly, but does it matter if the Tupperware containers are transparent or not?

Thanks again for your advice on this. Even though I like the humidor idea, I can respect those who have more experience than I and have been in similar situations. :) This would be far cheaper and still produce the same result.

I use 65% packs, some guys like 70% packs, the difference is whether you like your sticks a little more dry or not.  (65% would be more dry).  I don't honestly have answer about the transparent question maybe one of the other guys can help with this  I know there are a lot of humidors with glass tops and sides so I wouldn't think it would matter much.

There is always that draw to want a nice humidor on your desk to take sticks from, I went out and bought a 150 ct humidor and paid $175 for it.   Then I outgrew it in under a year and I have upgraded to a wineador (a wine fridge).   So now my 150 ct sits empty and I am out the $175.   I might use it again but I would have rather started with a tupperware until I knew how far I was going to take this.   I way I said to start sets you back under $20, where buying a 40 ct humidor that you will just throw away in 6 months would be more

After reading the descriptions of each on the Boveda site, thats what I was starting to think I should go with. Thank you for confirming that. :)

CBoukal said:
I use 65% packs, some guys like 70% packs, the difference is whether you like your sticks a little more dry or not.  (65% would be more dry).  I don't honestly have answer about the transparent question maybe one of the other guys can help with this  I know there are a lot of humidors with glass tops and sides so I wouldn't think it would matter much.

There is always that draw to want a nice humidor on your desk to take sticks from, I went out and bought a 150 ct humidor and paid $175 for it.   Then I outgrew it in under a year and I have upgraded to a wineador (a wine fridge).   So now my 150 ct sits empty and I am out the $175.   I might use it again but I would have rather started with a tupperware until I knew how far I was going to take this.   I way I said to start sets you back under $20, where buying a 40 ct humidor that you will just throw away in 6 months would be more
This is good advice. There are always the "don't buy a humidor, make a coolidor" suggestions, but sometimes people just want a desktop, especially when they are starting out..

Everyone is different in what they want. I still use a desktop and probably always will, but I also have a large cabinet.

Take your time with all of this. Your tastes and preferences will change over time. If you like it, smoke it and don't let others influence you in that aspect. You've gotten some good advice so far, and with you being new to the hobby, this is a great place to read about things you want to know, and ask questions about things you don't.

Thank you all for the great advice. I greatly appreciate everything you guys have already done in figuring this all out. Cant wait to spend more time with you all. :)

As for the tupperware, clear vs not clear only matters if you will be keeping the tupperware in the sun or under a desk lamp. If so, then you want to avoid the clear.

You can start with a desktop but know that if you like the hobby, you will be getting a larger one. But that isn't a big deal. I use my Kool-Adore and 400 ct humidor to rest and condition, and use the desktop as my ready-to-smoke humidor.

If you do get a desktop, I have one recommendation. Make sure you get one big enough to store Churchills or other long cigars. In other words, the width should be long enough to store your longest smoke.

Hope this helps.

SkyKing said:
You can start with a desktop but know that if you like the hobby, you will be getting a larger one. But that isn't a big deal. I use my Kool-Adore and 400 ct humidor to rest and condition, and use the desktop as my ready-to-smoke humidor.

If you do get a desktop, I have one recommendation. Make sure you get one big enough to store Churchills or other long cigars. In other words, the width should be long enough to store your longest smoke.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. I will be sure to keep that in mind.