• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

601 Habano Oscuro (Green) Tronco

SyrLinus

Virtualized Security Geek
Cigar Name: 601 Habano Oscuro (Green) Tronco (5 x 52)

Cigar Description: Nicaraguan filler (Cuban seed) with an Oscuro Nicaraguan cap/wrapper

Cigar Strength: Full

Review of the Cigar itself: Sometimes you can get a little too much smoke. And as I lit this one, it was very apparent that I'd get a bit too much to start off with. I cut just a sliver off the cap so I could enjoy the flavour fully as it burned but I was surprised when I got more smoke than I had expected. Once I had let the cigar "air" itself for a few seconds and the smoke dissipated, I could taste the peppery sensation that often accompanies a full-bodied cigar. The 601 Tronco definitely fits this bill. That said, the taste in the first third is wonderful and not overwhelming. And the actual construction of the cigar is well made and tight, although it does carry some rather larger veins in it, more than I had expected.

I hadn't even gotten through the first third when the first part of ash fell off on it's own. It actually seemed to be a curved burn and at one point, it seemed to dug boat part of the wrapper. But it quickly and quietly self-adjusted and things continued well. The smoke eventually died down a bit and made it more pleasant. I inspected the stick closer and could see the visible difference in colour between the cap and the rest of the wrapper.

As I got into the 2nd half of the cigar, I began to experience a heady sensation as the full flavour continued from the cigar. The pepperness definitely had reduced itself but little of the flavour that I had expected came through. It had, in fact, appeared in the smoke that started to come through near the end. A lot of this may come from the Cuban-seed that was used to create the tobacco that makes up this cigar. It's possibly one of the deeper cigars I've ever tasted but probably overwhelming for my simple, sweeter palate. One of the things I wasn't pleased with was that the taste seemed to wane as I continued the smoke, although there were occassional minor hints of leather and other earthy tones as I got closer to the end.

If like a truly rich, full-bodied cigar, then this is one I'd recommend you try.

Enjoyed with: Water and had a Corona when I got to the 2nd half (to help clear out the palate some).

Smoke time: approximately 1 hour and a half

Final Review Rating: 7.5/10

601-image21.jpg

Nice review and the pictures are great. I like the 601's.

Thanks. I was having some fun with my Canon XSi (my birthday gift/toy for myself this year). I think the Green 601s may be too much for me and I might try either the red or the black next time. It is a question of taste buds and such. :)