• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65%beads in cabinet humi reading 72%

LAWDOG

I just added the 65% Beads 2 days ago and its holding at 71%??been two days now, So im gonna leave the door open over night to let it dry out? Is this the norm?

I wouldn't leave the door open. I was given great advice when I started: relax, Brother and have a smoke! Your beads will work. Give them time and trust them. Don't fret too much over a dgree or two of humidity, and for pete's sake, stop opening your humi so much! The smokes are resting comfortably! (I know, I know...hard to leave them alone. I still have the same problem. ;) Make sure your hygrometer is calibrated well and if you don't already have one (or three), get the adjustable digital kind.

Trey

Everything is calibrated, There digital and I have two in my cabinet ONE upper and one lower.

I wouldn't leave the door open. I was given great advice when I started: relax, Brother and have a smoke! Your beads will work. Give them time and trust them. Don't fret too much over a dgree or two of humidity, and for pete's sake, stop opening your humi so much! The smokes are resting comfortably! (I know, I know...hard to leave them alone. I still have the same problem. ;) Make sure your hygrometer is calibrated well and if you don't already have one (or three), get the adjustable digital kind.

Trey

Trey, weren't you buying a cabinet too?

There are only four possible causes.

Poorly calibrated hygro(s)
70% beads by mistake
over -hydrated beads(almost all clear)
ambient source of moisture

The last one is most likely, IMO. If the beads are right on they will correct the RH.

BTW, 70% better for dominicans(Fuentes), 65% better for Cubans and Nics.

Whats the best method for dealing with oversaturated beads? Just leave it out of the humi for a bit? I think I got a little too overzealous with my hydrating as I was multitasking.... :whistling:

There are only four possible causes.

Poorly calibrated hygro(s)
70% beads by mistake
over -hydrated beads(almost all clear)
ambient source of moisture

The last one is most likely, IMO. If the beads are right on they will correct the RH.

BTW, 70% better for dominicans(Fuentes), 65% better for Cubans and Nics.

Yes these are for the CC, Also down to 67% now ...

Whats the best method for dealing with oversaturated beads? Just leave it out of the humi for a bit? I think I got a little too overzealous with my hydrating as I was multitasking....
whistling.gif

Take them out and dry them up a bit with a hairdryer...

Take out the beads and dry them out.
A hair dryer works, or for large amounts
put them in your oven on LOW (~225F) for
a while. You might have to do this 2 or 3
times.

I wouldn't leave the door of the humi open,
with your sticks in it. Just open and close
it more often, to help dry it out just a bit.
Don't do this if it's raining.

You're not too far off the mark.

Chemyst :cool:

Don't mean to steal away your thread Lawdog, but I wonder if anyone has had problems with tiny shards of your beads falling into the humidor from the tube? A couple of times now I have opened my humi and discovered small bits of the beads lying on the wood.

Don't mean to steal away your thread Lawdog, but I wonder if anyone has had problems with tiny shards of your beads falling into the humidor from the tube? A couple of times now I have opened my humi and discovered small bits of the beads lying on the wood.

If they are really dry and you spray them, the initial shock of absorbing water can crack them leaving behind that bead dust.

This mirrors my experience when I installed the 65% beads

-Upon installation, the RH in my humidor was in the 70s, possibly because the interior cedar still damp from seasoning
-By opening and closing in a frantic manner the RH in the humidor drops
-This causes the beads to give moisture and they do so all at the same time
-When the RH finally peaks, the beads begin to pull the moisture out of the air, if there are dry beads in the mix
-Eventually when the RH stabilizes it really stabilizes and works like clockwork

-Whenever I do rehydrate the beads now there is a little initial spike because of the moisture that has been added (this self corrects faster)

After four days if you RH is still in the 70s, then take the beads out and dry them out. This will occur naturally as long as you don't live in Louisiana where the RH is 250%. In my experience the beads are more effective giving moisture then taking moisture. If you have them in a mesh bag, chances are the bag was wet as well and the bag is providing the moisture not the beads.

Another thing I noticed this winter in NC is that the RH in my room was less than 20% for the last three months. The seal on my humidor is good. Regardless of this fact, the room RH was dry enough to strip the moisture from my humidor. I was adding distilled water every two days. I finally grabbed an empty cooler, cleaned it, let it dry, put my humidor in there, packed the empty spaced with those packing bags filled with air, and the problem was solved. No humidification was needed in the cooler itself because it was in the humidor. I opened the cooler every couple of days to refresh the air....it was needed. The humidor stayed at 65% until like an idiot I removed it and it snowed again. Happy times have returned and so have the 60s in NC.

When I get a little overzealous with spraying my beads and over saturate them I tend to see 70% with my 65% beads. Winter time in the PacNW also cause a large increase in ambient humidity in our house that can create a shift towards 70-72% in the humidor. Spring and summer they keep at perfect 65%.

Having said that - if I am not over 72 and not in the low 60's I really don't sweat it.

I actually prefer 60% on the CC's and 65% on the domestics. CC's seem to draw tight in a lot of cases. JMHO :thumbs: