• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% beads or 70% beads?

bluue13

I was wondering if someone could provide some insight on which beads I should get for my 50ct humidor?

I live in the Northeast so the story of my life is cold dry winters and humid summers. I'm planning on springing for the heartfelt beads and I am trying to make the best decision on which beads to purchase. I think I read that 65% RH is a better environment for maduro cigars which I only have 3 of. However as I stated it does get very humid during the summer and I dont have AC in the whole house so I'm worried that if I get the 70% beads the ambient humidity in the house might drive the RH up a bit too high.

Should I spring for the 65%? I'm thinking this would provide the overall best environment for my cigars. Or do the beads work so well that no matter what the humidity in the house it would keep the interior of my humi at 70%?

I know a lot of it is personal preference as I've read, and I think right now my preference is that my sticks dont get too soggy!

Thanks for the help!

-Greg

It really comes down to personal preference. I like to keep my desktop at 65%. I don't have a huge stash (only about 50 smokes) so I like to be able to smoke them right out of the humi. At 70% I seem to have burn issues but some believe it's a better RH for long term storage.

If you search around a bit you'll find tons of info on the subject.

--Monty

Edit: grammar

No good way to know, as it depends on how you like to smoke 'em. I go with 65% as I prefer things on the drier side vs. wet. It's not a huge difference and you could always go up to 70% if you don't like how things are smoking at 65%. Should be easy to get rid of some 65% beads on here if you want to switch.

-John

awesome, i'm gonna go for 65% I think...

thanks for the info again!

I tried 70 at first, but then ordered some 65 eventually. I ended up mixing them, so, I guess I went with "both."

My next order is going to be 65% though, if that helps.

It hink 65rh is better in general...but in the northeast, make sure you have a lot of beads. Too much in fact. If you don't have enough during the dry winter's your humi can drop into the upper 50s quite easily.

Go with the 65% beads. They vary a bit, a few % over and under 65%, which is an ok range for cigars. The 70% vary too, but as it goes a few % over 70, they can cause mold problems. Best to stick with 65%