• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% beads troubles

mtschust

I have been trying to keep my beads at 65% which is where they should be. I have noticed I am adding water at least every 2 days to keep them stable. 2 weeks ago I noticed the humidity had plummeted to less than 53%!! I am not sure how long they were there but I think I took a chance at not checking the beads for anextended period of time. I had this problem before but thought I had it all fixed. Anyways the beads are now at 60%, I want them at 65% but I do not want to crack the wrappers. How often is it that water needs to be added to beads? To get them back to a level that I want and to keep them stable? I really do not mind adding water often but I thought it better to keep the humidor closed as much as possible. :D

Also, I raised the RH quite a bit in a matter of days, more than I wanted but I overestimated how much water the beads needed. Sometimes I give them some but nothing happens, so I really over did it. The RH jumped about 10% in a few days. Is this bad for my sticks? I have not smoked a cigar for a couple months and have thought about having one, should I wait for a while now?

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Until you've done so, we can't help you. If you have, did you properly season your humidor?

Doc

After you calibrate the hygro, you also need to make sure that the humidor is sealing properly. Stick a bright flashlight in it and put it in a pitch black room. If light is escaping, it doesn't seal properly and you will need to address that.

D

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Until you've done so, we can't help you. If you have, did you properly season your humidor?

Doc

Yes thr hygrometer is calibrated. It has been for quite some time. Yes I seasoned the humidor. This was about 6 months ago. I will try the light test and get back to you. We are having a heat wave, temps in the 100's for the next few days and 90's after that. My humidor is at 77 degrees. I turned on the room AC, but is it detrimental that the temp is at 70.

Doc

Yes thr hygrometer is calibrated. It has been for quite some time. Yes I seasoned the humidor. This was about 6 months ago. I will try the light test and get back to you. We are having a heat wave, temps in the 100's for the next few days and 90's after that. My humidor is at 77 degrees. I turned on the room AC, but is it detrimental that the temp is at 70.

You are in the beetle hatching danger zone. They aren't supposed to hatch until they reach 80 degrees, but many on this forum have reported them hatching considerably lower than that. Cool it off the best you can. Mine is between 73 and 75, but it's hot here and that's the best I can do right now. You can get a wine fridge, but that is a little expensive. I'm a newb, so all the info I just gave is regurgitated from my search findings over the last few days.

D

If your batteries are 6 months old in your hygro, it is most likely reading low because the batts are low. Change your battery every 6 months. 80 degrees is begging for beetles. Over 72 is pushing it. As for the beads...here in AZ it is hot and dry so I kept my beads 95% wet to keep up and twice a week I had to wet them. Now with a wine cooler, I have none of those problems. Wish I would have done it earlier.

If your batteries are 6 months old in your hygro, it is most likely reading low because the batts are low. Change your battery every 6 months. 80 degrees is begging for beetles. Over 72 is pushing it. As for the beads...here in AZ it is hot and dry so I kept my beads 95% wet to keep up and twice a week I had to wet them. Now with a wine cooler, I have none of those problems. Wish I would have done it earlier.

I did not think abut the batteries. The battery is almost 1 year old. I ordered some online should get here in a week. I calibrated the hygrometer a few months back and it was reading two points low, maybe that was the problem I thought those little watch batteries lasted ages I guess I was mistaken.